Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VF7 and VF11 flange differences?

I don't have the pleasure (:rolleyes:) of owning an EA series turbo at the moment but I have need of some information regarding the VF7 - specifically the differences between it and a VF11.

I had two VF11's and one went to a friend for a project - he has decided it too large for the project and wishes now to determine what changes must be made to fit a VF7 in it's place.

That means changing the flanges if applicable and possibly re-clocking the inlet and discharge as he has done that with the VF11. So:

1. What does it look like for re-clocking the compressor housing?

and

2. what are the differerences in the exhaust inlet and discharge flanges?

Pictures always appreciated of course :)

Thanks,

GD

Yeah - it is the turbo from the 22T. He's using it on a smaller engine though and it doesn't spool at low enough RPM's for his application.

Mostly we are interested in finding out if the compressor housing of the VF7 can be rotated without rotating the body of the turbo - the VF11 can, and he has it rotated about 170 degrees counter-clockwise as it's mounted on the driver's side of the engine rather than the passenger side as in the EA series cars.

GD

You can rotate the housing on the vf7 as well. The inlets are similar, 90 degree (I don't remember what the difference in diameter is... not alot). The Exhaust (outlet) is 5 bolt WRX style on the vf11 but only 4 on the vf7, The exhaust inlet is different but adaptable. The 2 closest holes (side by side about 2.5'' apart) are the same for both, but the 3rd hole is farther out on the vf11 by around 1/2'' or so compared to the vf7. I swapped vf11 to vf7 for a short time on my legacy (only turbo i had @ the moment) and just had to egg the hole on the up pipe and make a new downpipe, the rest was more or less bolt up.

Scott