Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with fuel delivery problem 01 Outback H6

I could really use some advice right now. I am about 400mi from home and car just stalled going down the road. It is a 01 Outback LLbean Wagon with 161000mi. No check engine light on when it was running. Will start right up and run smothly when spraying carb cleaner down tb but not under it's own fuel. Changed the fuel filter hoping to get lucky nope. Turn the key on and off and can hear the pump run but fuel only comes out of the now disconnected line every other cycle and not much at that. What I am wondering is where is could it be the fuel pump relay? If possible where is said relay located? To change the fuel pump do I need any special tools to remove the lines or change the pump out? I really need some guidence on this one and have about 4 days to get this figured out. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the offer. I am in Traverse City MI so no dice there. I was thinking the sock could be plugged up. Does it all come out as one assembly with the fuel pump? I have a basic socket along with open end wrenches and a couple of screw drivers. And how do the fuel lines disconnect at the pump? Thanks for the quick reply.

Youll need pliers.

Everything comes out together. The fuel pump is on the apssenger side of the car. Remove the access plate (dont loose the fasteners). Below that is the fuel pump/sending unit plate. Again dont loose the fasteners. It takes a little gentle feness to wiggle it out of the tank.

Would be helpful if you could get a fuel pump pressure gauge on this first.

Have you tried removing the gas cap and starting the car?

nipper

Thanks Nipper. I checked for fuel pressure before the fuel filter and it would squirt fuel when turning the key on but not much and not every time. about 5oz after 8 cycles of ignition switch on to off so it could be a weak pump. I always figured the pump either works or it does not. It has ran fine up until now for the last 15000 miles since buying it.

So before I pull the pump assembly I would like to check for proper voltage. Could low voltage cause this? Also what wires on top of the pump assembly are for the pump? And I am worried about part of the assembly falling in the tank when pulling it. Is everything pretty securely attached to the assembly?

Sorry for all the questions but being away from home doing this I want to make sure to do this right. Thanks again.

Nothing is going to fall in the tank, or fall off, just DONT LOOSE THE TINY FASTENERS.

They are really tiny.

I doubt its a voltage issue, but one side would be hot, one would be ground. You can check which one is which when you open up the covers (I dont know off hand).

Is your fuel pump noisey?

I always figured the pump either works or it does not.
actually ,they can be sporadic and dicey. i found that out the hard way, had a few do that.

clogged pump/sock or a bad fuel pump. i would suspect the fuel pump myself.

good luck, hope you can figure something out.

Thanks guys for the advice. I will pull the fuel assembly tomorrow morning and check the sock for crud. The only pump I could find is at Autozone for a little over one hundred dollars but it is only the pump not the complete assembly. I can get the whole assembly shipped in about 3 days for over $300. I am limited on money until next Tuesday so the $100 pump looks like my only option right now. Feel free to chime in about anything else to check.

Look for a universal pump, it may be cheaper and they all flow about the same.

Here is another idea. Find your fuel pressure regulator. It will have a vac line on one side a fuel line on the other, with a return to the tank. Choke off the return to the tank with a pair of sie grips and see if the car starts.

nipper

Grossgary, The car has been daily driven since purchased last August. Filled the gas tank about 120 miles ago yesterday. So the gas has not been sitting for a long time. Nipper, I figured I will not be able to run it very long with that line pinched off but will deffinetly help me buy the right parts.

i would think the fuel pump either works or doesnt. I am in the group of people who rarely sees a failure of the fuel pump. something clogged maybe, something in the pump itself i doubt. clogged line, fuel tube kinked, sock on the pump twisted, yeah.

I sure hope you can trouble shoot this, its tough and i been there same type problem

I have a couple of salvage yards at my disposal with plenty of 00-04 outbacks/legacys. Unlikely I will find another H6 but plenty of 4cyl models. The pump assembly should be the same right? You guys know what I am getting at. Well what would you do in this situation? Remember that I have about $250 to fix the car and get me and the wife home. Every opinion will be looked over and appreciated. You guys are like my online AAA :banana:

Ok looks like the part number for the H6 and 2.5 of the same year have different part numbers from autozone. : ( Anyone know different? I sure could save some money if they are compatible.

Edited by subyfreak

Did some digging online over at subaruoutback.org and found that 01 H6 was a popular year for fuel related failure. Found three different posts with pretty much the same symptoms and resulting dealer visit. Any other 00-04 H6 owners have fuel pump/ pump assemby problems?

again nipper thanks for your 2 cents. you seem to have been around the Subaru block a few times and give good advice. All I want is to get it running long enough to make it home. Like I said earlier I have limited funds until next Tuesday when if needed I can go all out and get a complete genuine gold plated fuel pump assembly:grin:. Bonus is when I pull the assembly from the donor car I can get a feel in what is involved and I have been itching to go visit that last chance parking lot better known as a scrap yard all winter. I will be back to let you guys know how it all works out.

Well after pulling the pump assembly I noticed a round metal cap about 2.5 in dia. with a rubber o-ring not seated properly. One of the metal tabs had a crack in it and kept it from sealing. After brazing the crack and putting it all back together it fired right up. Total cost was a $60 tow. Took it for a bit of a drive and it performed perfectly. Thanks again to everyone that helped me trouble shoot this otherwise expensive problem.

that's pimp you figured it out so easily!

since the H6 is a bit of a rarity, could you fill in some details?

like how long did it take to remove the pump assembly and any tricks?

is there any indication on what "caused" this? age, someone was in there before, dried gasket, etc?

Edited by grossgary

Pulling the pump assembly was cake work. I was at first a little intimidated with the idea at first from past non subaru fuel pump jobs but after digging into it I was surprised with how easy the whole thing comes out. As for the problem it looked like some one was in there before and was a little rough with putting the cap on and caused a hairline crack that over time got bigger until the cap partially came off. I still am unsure what the part is for but it was obvious some thing was not right.