Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Fuel Pump

Greetings. I am new to the site (and to Subaru mechanics for the most part). I have browsed from time to time, but never had any serious questions until now. So would appreciate any input you guys could give me. I have a '91 Loyale, SPFI, 5-speed with push button 4wd wagon. And am looking at possibly buying a '93 Loyale (5-spd, 4wd wgn) that has a bad fuel pump. Or so the owner was told "might " be why it quit running. Would my '91 fuel pump work on the '93? And is there an "easy" way to tell if the fuel pump is actually the problem? For those of us who are, what I refer to as; "mechanically challenged". The car turns over but acts as if it is out of gas. Wouldn't a timing belt issue act the same way? I will try to find out more details tomorrow when I meet with the owner and actually get a chance to look under the hood. Thanks in advance!

-Keith

I'm pretty new to soobs as well but i"m sure the fuel pumps are the same.

Easy enough to check the pump and change if needed.

Be warned a replacement pump is expensive.

The fuel filter is under the hood so easy enough to undo the fuel lines to find out if you are getting fuel to the filter and throttle body.

The fuel pump is located under the car just forward of the passenger side rear wheel.

good luck.

Welcome to the forum.

To see if you just have a fuel delivery problem spray some starter fluid into the intake. If the engine fires up you have confirmed it. If the engine doesn't fire remove the disty cap and make sure the rotor is turning when you try to start it. A broken belt can cause the shaft of the disty to not spin.

I think you can access the wiring to the pump under the rear seat on the passenger side. If you need to test and make sure the pump is getting voltage you can do that there. Some designs use a switched ground design to the pump through the ECU.

Edited by Cougar

Before playing with fuel pump open access plugs on the timing belt cover and make sure your timing belt is intact.

For the fuel pump, smack it slightly with something and put it back. That might be all you need. Mine has been working fine for about 6 months after that kind of treatment.

Good luck,

Sam

the fuel pump can get bound up if the car sits for a while, ive acquired many Subaru's that way, buy it cheap, than smack the fuel pump, than its starts pumping, and you drive it away. and piss off the previous owner :grin:

Doesn't always work, certainly didn't in my case.

Is the 93 SPFI or MPFI? All the SPFI ones are the same, but the MPFI might not be.

Check the timing belt first -- checking that the distributor rotor is spinning the best, as often it just strips off a few teeth where it passes around the crankshaft gear, and looks fine other than that. It will have a particular odd sound as it cranks due to no compression on two clyinders, if you're a conesouier of cranking subaru noises (or have seen a number of cars with bad timing belts)

Visited with the owner last night briefly. Apparently it ran fine until going to work but would not start at the end of the day. Acted as if it were out of gas. Her son started it with starter fluid and was able to get the car back home (a mile or less). Once parked again, went back to not wanting to start. I've agreed to buy it. So I will wait to investigate any further. My guess is fuel pump or maybe fuel gauge is stuck and out of gas? Thanks again for all your helpful input. Oh, the 1993 is SPFI, everything under the hood looks like my '91.

-Keith