Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru XT Broken timing belt.

Would this cause a valve to bend? because I replaced the belt and timed the car and now it wont start and it sounds really funny, like the starter stresses then its really easy for it as the engine turns over. Any ideas?

Thanks.:)

Edited by tysree

Would this cause a valve to bend? because I replaced the belt and timed the car and now it wont start and it sounds really funny, like the starter stresses then its really easy for it as the engine turns over. Any ideas?

Thanks.:)

No. EA82 engines are non-interference.

My guess is that you may have made the common error of timing both belts with the timing marks aligned *at the same time*. The distributor side belt should be aligned first, the crankshaft turned one full rotation (360 deg), and then the non-disty-side belt aligned. (The well-practiced can install both at the same time, with one mark pointing up and the other side down.)

The other common mistake is to use the ignition timing marks instead of the 3 scribed lines.

I hope that this helps.

Ohhh I thought the two cams were suppose to be facing up? with the marks on the case and I Knew the difference from the distributor and timing marks I had a friend show me.

Nope.... I did the same thing the first timing belt I did on an EA82 too. Actually got the car to start but it ran horribly then stalled. Have to do one with it facing up, then rotate 360 degrees (crankshaft) and do the other one facing up -- ends up with one facing up and one facing down at a time.

Z

i bought a loyale that had the belts installed wrong. i went to look at it, and offered to fix it for him for my price, or let me fix it and sellit to me for his price.

an hour later, i drove it out of his barn.

so if you see any subarus for sale with 'bent valves' for cheap, snatch them up, because you will have a good car with new belts for an hour of your time.

good luck with your belts, hope the article helps, feel free to ask me questions if you need help milesfox@yahoo.com

Not till about 1997, I think....

Z

that's right for the EJ22, interference 1997 and up.

the EJ25 came out in 1996 and they are all interference.

the earliest interference Subaru engine I believe is the EG33 in the SVX - 1992+. they are "technically" inteference but odd in that they are unlikely to sustain damage with a broken belt.

the earliest interference Subaru engine I believe is the EG33 in the SVX - 1992+. they are "technically" inteference but odd in that they are unlikely to sustain damage with a broken belt.

We are a little bit OT :) , but...

The EG33 is, FAPP, non-interference. Not to put words in GG's mouth... er, fingers... but I assume he is referring to the DOHC design and a possibility of valves clashing with each other. The EG33 has gears linking its intake and exhaust cams, so a cataclysm would be required to unsynch the cams and cause a valve clash. I am pretty sure that GG knows this, and thus the way he mentions it; I just wanted to clarify.