Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing set right but still will not start!!!

I have rebuild this s/w 4wheel drive it is a GL 1.8L EA82 the timing was off but now have it set. It will try to kick but will not I keep thinking I am missing something. Both timing are new new heads, oil pump water, coil, its all new. So what is I am missing?:-\:eek:

I used miles fox timing where you start on the 3marks than the driver side up and rotation 360 deg.

which puts the driver side down and pass. side up rotation 360 end back up to the 3marks and than to 0.

Edited by Bkody928

To which "timing" do you refer? It sounds like you mean timing belts.

The usual 2 mistakes with EA82 timing belts is:

1) both cams/belts were aligned with their timing marks pointing straight up *at the same time*. This is incorrect.

2) The belts were aligned with the crank positioned at something other than the 3 scribed lines on the flywheel. (Typically the TDC mark is mis-used instead.)

What procedure did you use to install the timing belts?

Its easy to switch the fuel inlet and outlet hoses on these cars if its fuel injected

We need a little more info like the year, and which fuel system it has. Carb, SPFI, MPFI, MPFI turbo??

Did you verify that you are getting fuel? Did you verify that you have the wires on so that they match the firing order? (its easy to put the wires on imagining the distributor turns the other direction)

You may have the positions of the ignition wires mixed up on the disty. The rotor turns CCW I think. Firing order is 1-3-2-4. If you set the wiring positions by using the TDC of #1 cylinder hopefully you aren't 180 out of the compression stroke.

Edited by Cougar

If the plug wires are 180 out all you would need to do is move them all two positions over on the disty cap. The same thing is accomplished by exchanging the wires to the opposite position on the cap. I assume you have the firing order correct.

Not necessarily so. Distributor is in the cam case, so the disty doesn't need to be disturbed just to do heads.

true but my first time i pulled a suby engine i removed the disty along with the starter was easyer for me to get my big hands down to the lower bell housing bolts.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the sparked plug wires and they were in the right place. 1,3,4,2.

So I moved the distributor 180 degrees It almost starts so yes I am getting closer. Where do I go from here. Or did I miss something?:mad::banana:

Thank-you

bkody928

Checked my sparks plug wires they are where they should be. 1,3,2,4. Put the engine at TDC. Moved the distributor 180 degree. Really tires to start.

but still will not kick over what is next? Or what am I missing? Or not doing?

Almost there!

Thank-you

bkody928

:mad:

:banana:

Since it seems you are now real close the ignition timing may be off a little. Have someone crank the engine while you move the disty slightly both ways to see if that helps. Mark the starting position before you move it in case you need to put it back.

3-----4

1-----2

radiator

disty

--1--

3---4

--2--

Pull #1 plug, Have your finger over the sparkplug hole and crank engine over by hand using socket on crank pulley bolt. When you feel the air passing by your finger, you'll be on the compression stroke for #1.

Keep turning the crank until you line up the timing mark with the degree that your engine is to be timed at. The rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug tower on the disty cap.

If it's not lined up, you'll need to pull the disty up some and spin the rotor to it's correct position. Note that the rotor will turn some as you pull it out, so you need to allow for that movement when you drop it back in.

Insure that the plug wires are on the cap in the correct order, and that they go to the correct plugs. Re-install the plug for #1.

It should run now.

Check disty timing with timing light.

Edited by TomRhere