Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Many times when I turn on my A/C the engine will not accelerate. There is an oil leak from the front seal of the two year old compressor and I suspect the clutch may be slipping erratically. Is the acceleration problem more likely a result to a/c clutch problems or a compressor problem ? Does changing the compressor clutch and front seal require special tools ?

I can think of only a couple of reasons for the compressor to bog the engine down to the extent you have explained: one, the Nipper has already hit on, & that is, your compressor is in the process of seizing up. The other is that you had way overcharged the system & that's what caused the front seal to leak. And, yes, there are specialized tools required to remove & replace that seal. I've tried to change a couple of them, but always wind up getting a re-built compressor.

& think that the better trail to take on this project is to:

(1) remove the compressor & the filter/drier.

(2) get some AC flush from your local auto parts store, & inject it into each open tube, followed by compressed air to push it through. I've done a couple of these, & you'd be amazed at the crap that comes out.

(3) It will take some figuring, because most of the oil in the system will be in the compressor & the filter/dryer.

(4) It will be easiest to replace both the compressor & the dryer, inject the full amunt of oil called for, vacuum the system for an hour, fill with the proper amount of R-134, & viola! you are cool for the summer.

Be sure not to overcharge the system. Check the specifications to see how many ounces of oil & refrigerant are called for. Exceeding the specified amounts will almost surely cause the compressor to blow its seals.

Good luck, & keep your cool

ScottG

I can think of only a couple of reasons for the compressor to bog the engine down to the extent you have explained: one, the Nipper has already hit on, & that is, your compressor is in the process of seizing up. The other is that you had way overcharged the system & that's what caused the front seal to leak. And, yes, there are specialized tools required to remove & replace that seal. I've tried to change a couple of them, but always wind up getting a re-built compressor.

& think that the better trail to take on this project is to:

(1) remove the compressor & the filter/drier.

(2) get some AC flush from your local auto parts store, & inject it into each open tube, followed by compressed air to push it through. I've done a couple of these, & you'd be amazed at the crap that comes out.

(3) It will take some figuring, because most of the oil in the system will be in the compressor & the filter/dryer.

(4) It will be easiest to replace both the compressor & the dryer, inject the full amunt of oil called for, vacuum the system for an hour, fill with the proper amount of R-134, & viola! you are cool for the summer.

Be sure not to overcharge the system. Check the specifications to see how many ounces of oil & refrigerant are called for. Exceeding the specified amounts will almost surely cause the compressor to blow its seals.

Good luck, & keep your cool

ScottG

I forgot about the overcharge scenario, as its been a long time since I have seen someone do that.

nipper

Thanks guys! A little more history. I experienced similar problems two years ago and brought the car to a certified A/C mechanic after finding the suction and discharge lines were reading the same pressure with my cheap recharge kit gauges. He replaced the compessor with a rebuild from Advanced and it began leaking around the front seal after one year. It began the bogging down problem at two years. Since I paid $800 for a two year fix and I have a background in mechanics, I think it time to invest in a quality set of gauges, a vacuum pump and manual and begin doing the R134a work myself. Any recommendations as to which brand gauges and pumps to use and who sells a good manual.

Sounds like the AC compressor is failing. What was the warrenty on this item?

Subaru AC compressors dont go bad usually, so I would recomend a used one. ALso you may need a new reciever drier. These have a filter in them that catch all the tiny parts if the compressor ever implodes. I personally would not take a chance on using the same one on a 3rd compressor.

nipper

Nipper:

The warranty from Advanced Auto was 90 days, the mechanic gave a one year warranty. The first compressor he got from Advanced had ports that did not match up with the original and a second had to be shipped in. So, any recommendations as to brands of good a/c parts, gauges, and manuals ?

all of that stuff is overkill. i've fixed tons of A/C systems on Subaru's. i'll tell you how i'd have it running perfectly in no time:

replace the compressor with a used one for $50 or less. (i even have one i'd sell). Subaru compressors don't fail enough and the systems are easy enough to work on yourself, that it's not worth buying new in my opinion.

if you have a good rebuilder, you can pursue that option as well. a friend of mine just had a subaru a/c compressor "rebuilt" for under $100. you could never expect that cheap, but i'd pay it if i had a reliable connection to do that. otherwise i'd trust used just as much as anything else (except new from Subaru, good luck on that one!)

replace the orings on the compressor fittings and the schrader valves while the system is open. (the tool for replacing them in a charged system is really neat!)

replace the drier.

charge it with the ghetto cans at the auto parts store.

you're done in no time, it didn't cost much, and it will last unlike the auto parts store hunk.

you'll have a/c that easy. no need for all the tools, gauges, manuals, and such. this is coming from a guy who has commercial grade gauges, vacuum puller, and does all his own a/c. i've also done tons without any of that stuff too, so i'm speaking from lots of hands on experience not the "back seat".

Edited by grossgary

I recommend Robinair gauges, the best ones, I think. I've lived for 20 years with cheap gauges (plastic faceplates fell off, got clogged with oil, etc.). The problem is: unless you do a fair amount of auto AC work, you'll never amortize the cost of really nice AC gauges.

I've had pretty good luck with a set from Harbor Freight ($39.95). You just have to be careful not to knock them around too much.

You can also use the engine of your Subie to pull a vacuum on the AC system before recharging. Years ago, a friend gave me the compressor from an old chest-type freezer. I made it into a nice vacuum pump & have used it on cars and home AC systems. Almost anything with an operating compressor (refrigerater, dehumidifier, freezer), can lend itself to use as a vacuum pump.

Your local Advance Auto store or Autozone will probably have a basic manual on car AC systems. I seem to remember picking up my first AC bok there in 1985 (yeah, I've been fooling with car AC for a long time - since the days of cheap R-12).

Remmber to keep everything very clean when working on AC. It takes only a few bits of crud to clog everything up. I always replace the 'O' rings, for instance, when I open any AC line. Don't forget to add the proper amount of oil to the system if you've had a leak. Trying to figure this is where a good basic car AC book comes in. There's also a ton of info on line & in your local library, should you not be able to spring for good reference material.

ScottG