Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater fan relay location ???? help

Passenger side of the radiator?? What is a heater fan relay doing there? Do you mean the heater core?

I have an intermittent relay that is beginning to get me annoyed. I understood it is under the dash somewhere, but all I see under there looks like a cross between a copper mine and an oil well (masses of copper wire covered in plastic insulation....)

Rob.

Passenger side of the radiator?? What is a heater fan relay doing there? Do you mean the heater core?

I have an intermittent relay that is beginning to get me annoyed. I understood it is under the dash somewhere, but all I see under there looks like a cross between a copper mine and an oil well (masses of copper wire covered in plastic insulation....)

Rob.

yes im looking for the interior, cabin air fan relay, my 91 loyale did the same thing, but now its pooped out.

hey guys, i just went thru this on my 93 loyale. you are right the manual was no help. finally i found the relay in question. remove the panel below the steering wheel, drop down the fuse panel,stand on your head and look up under the dash. to the left of the steering column there should be rack with 3 relays in it. in my case the relay closest to the steering column was the culprit. look for a large green w/white stripe wire. hope it is only the relay as it can get harder if wiring is the problem. i have long admired the straightforward mechanicals of my loyale, but the wiring is nuts. good luck

...i found the relay in question. remove the panel below the steering wheel, drop down the fuse panel,stand on your head and look up under the dash. ...

...they didn't look like relays at first. kinda look like plugs, weird round things. I was expecting square bosh looking relays

I Have a Thread about Those Relays and their Wiring, it is Plenty of Pics and Easy Ideas for the Procedure to Swap more Capable Standard Bosch Relays there, instead of those Weak Round Relays.

thidea.gif?t=1242449157

if you Click over my Avatar, in my "Public Profile" You`ll Find a List of some of my Writeups, there is the Relay`s one.

I Hope this may Help.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1997 Gt and my blower quit working on Friday. It happened when I turned the AC on. It was fine on my way to work. All fan speeds are out so I also think it may be the relay. The fuses are good. I did notice that a relay? is clicking just above the fuse box when the fan switched is turned on. I don't think this is the relay I want, though as it sure does not look like the ones I have found on auto parts sites. I will also check on the left side of the steering column tomorrow and post what I find.

There are three relays above the fuses and they all look identical. Does anyone know which one is the fan relay? I will see if I can figure it out by turning the fan switch on and off as the relay does click when I do this. Thanks for the help.

My problem is not the relay. I took a hammer and hit the fan motor a few times with the switch turned on high. It took about 10 hits but the fan started blowing. I hope I just had some dirt in it otherwise I bet it will stop again! Then it will be new fan motor time:mad: