Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick question on the tension adjuster

I have an old style tension adjuster (2 piece). The FSM says to install the tensioner all the way to the right first, put the belt on, then move it to the left before pulling the pin out.

The thing is once you get the belt on there's quite a lot of tension in there already. the tension adjuster won't move to the left at all since the tensioner is already pressing up against it pretty tightly..

Is this gonna be okay? Does that sound right to you what i'm describing?

Edited by shortskoolbus

Use a screwdriver to pry it over to the left.

I've even redone TB's when I've forgotten this step.

If it's non-interference I guess you could take the chance. It'll proably be o.k. while things are new (and unstrectched or worn).

I wouldn't - but you could be a case study - you may be o.k.

maybe not...

In my opinion it must be needed. First Suby I did I was amazed that those were a bit slotted and that they could be "adjusted" before I saw in the procedure how to use them - it's not really an adjustment it's mandatory. Gotta wonder about the design. Why didn't they make the plunger 1/8" longer and just have 2 regular bolt holes on the tensioner?

Wow, I didn't even know you were supposed to move it after the belt is on. I always assumed the tensioner was supposed to be all the way to the left before you tighten down the bolts. I always do it before putting on the belt ans\d I've never had any trouble putting on the belt. I guess I've just been lucky. Glad I've been doing it correctly though.

Mine is a 97, they cut over to the new tensioner in 97 if I am not istaken. Mine was before the cut-off.
from what i've seen there's no "magic" date. i've seen a mixed bag of the new verses old styles. i've had some early cars that i thought would have the old style, but didn't and the other way around.

my 1997 Impreza (1996 build date) has the new style.

Dont take a chance on it its not worth sitting on the side of the road when your t-belt skips or worse...bent valves if it happens to be on an interference engine...Believe me the first time I did the T-belt on my 96 Legacy EJ22 I didnt do this step and the belt skipped...repositioned the t-belt and installed the tensioner properly and have been problem free...knock on wood...