Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 gl wagon fuel pump

so i bought a new universal elctrical fuel pump. i test the wire to find out which is hot. what i got was no volts till we let off the cranking then my light lit up. now id run wires to it but i know its not suposed to be on until you r cranking. so anyways im kinda lost on what i should be looking for or to bypass. it doesnt make sence, oh and the fuse is good.

ya i checked the old one. ive been reading in threads for alot of hours and it seems like the box on the hood release should be whats wrong but all the wires are black. theres about 8 of them and about half of them are hot. i bought a multi meter today but i been hanging with the family. so probably tomorrow ill check voltage. do u know which wire in the plug is the fuel pump er tach? i also was going to try to hook up a hot switch just to get the car running. what do u think? the car sat for 10 years and i got it started with starter fluid. it ran nice and smooth but i was hoping the alternator would trigger something to make the tach signal or something work. i just read that in another thread. anyways i guess ill figuire it out tomorrow. oh also theres a box that that says nippin dinzno on it and its light blue. do u know what its for?