Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I think im done...

The passenger side head gasket is too hard to get on and I messed up the gasket... So now I'm tired of working by my self, so who wants to buy a 1986 subaru xt turbo 113,000 miles ran good even with two blown head gaskets now it only has one blown. I really dont want to sell it but my hands are all messed up now and I dont have any help.

Would anyone want to do the job for money?

Edited by tysree

I might be willing to assist sometime this next week after work. I've done my share of EA82 head gaskets.

You should work on getting some of the stuff that's in your way moved - the turbo and the intake manifold are best removed as well as the exhaust headers and up-pipe.

What specifically is the problem you are running into? Perhaps I could help get you back on track with a few pointers - gresham isn't far - I'm in West Linn.

GD

Well I was kinda dumb and didnt take off the turbo and I didnt think you could take the header off because it might not fit back on with the head on?

I was also dumb and I took the head off before taking the turbo off so now it twists other stuff when I try to take it off. I should have just taken it all apart the right way but I was impatient. so the new head gasket will be here tomorrow and all suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your interest, I really don't want to sell it Ive probably put more money into it than I got it for :)

Well - get out there tommorrow and remove the turbo and the exhaust headers. All that stuff goes back together after you have the head on.

You are finding out that it's best to do it the right way the first time. That's just part of the learning process.

Get the rest of the stuff off and out of your way so you can focus on doing the HG right. If you need someone to stop by this week and make sure you are moving in the right direction I could most likely do that.

GD

Wow thanks a lot! That's exactily what I wanted to hear :]

I didnt know that you could put the header back on after the head on, wow that was what my whole problem was!

Ill let you know if I need someone Thanks a million!

I'd do whatever you need to in order to do the head gasket right. exhaust can be annoying, but it's not a big deal. all the exhausts i've ever done (EA82T included), i just unbolt the header from the head - so i'm kind of confused about that? I mean heck, you can remove the exhaust, even the rust belt out here I've done it, what a crap job!

I'd use a fel-pro permatorque head gasket. they are by far the most proven gasket out there for EA stuff. if those with the 5-10 pounds extra torque that GD and myself use don't hold then something is seriously wrong with the motor. they dont' require a retorque like all the other gaskets.

did you use those gaskets the first time?

and if not - did you retorque them? all other gaskets are supposed to be retorqued (Subaru, Corteco, Beck Arnley at least all are) so did you do that?

hope you get it figured out, that is annoying digging right back into a big job again.

This gasket will be permatorque the last one was one off of ebay so I might have to re torque it...

How long do I have untill I have to re torque it?

Ya I thought the car was fixed with the first headgasket, it ran good then My oil got white and so I figured I need to replace the other gasket, and it was bad!

Thanks for all the info too!

I'd do whatever you need to in order to do the head gasket right. exhaust can be annoying, but it's not a big deal. all the exhausts i've ever done (EA82T included), i just unbolt the header from the head - so i'm kind of confused about that?

I thought there might be an issue getting the up-pipe past the head/crossmember/frame rail without jacking the engine up. Last time I messed with an EA82T was probably over 5 years ago and I pulled the engine wholesale so I can't recall off the top of my head. I know it's a pain to get the up-pipe in past the head and cross-member on my EJ22T, but that's a different animal with a 4 peice header system....

GD

Ok well I think I might try jacking up the engine Cause I got the head on perfect no scratching the gasket at all and I got the little tube on that goes on the turbo from the head( im guessing turbo lube?). I hope I can get the header on because the job is easy after that is done.

Any suggestions on how to get the header on while the head is on??

Thanks!

Well lol I started torquing the bolts down and of course the block has to strip out. so I still have all the stuff I need to heli coil it But my bit is to long.

I tryed jacking the engine up so It is slanted more but my jack dosent go any higher. I either need a smaller drill bit or just drill. Or a bigger jack?

What should I do?

Yes! thats exactily what I need!

but everything is closed cause its memoral weekend and it's sunday :[

I found out that I have a smaller drill, and it fits almost perfect So I think im going to try that out.

http://www.northstate.com/champion/index.html

You can always "shorten" a jobber length bit with a hammer. Gary turned me on to this. Clamp bit in vice and whack the shank with the hammer. Drill will snap and you end up with a stubby bit.

I won't use a bit that "was close" in size. Just a tad too small and the insert won't install. Tad too large and the insert won't hold.

I thought about it but I have no way of getting it to my house, I got the manifold on with out pulling the engine. I loosened the motor mounts and jacked it up and it slipped passed the head.

Yep - that's how I remember it working.

I do have a cherry picker and often an open bay in my garage for stuff like this. In the future if you need a hand and a place to work send me a PM and we'll talk. It wouldn't be the first time I've had someone's dead rig in my garage :rolleyes:

GD

Thanks alot I wish I would of known that earlier, but I hope this is the last major thing wrong with the car, I know there will probably other things that need to be done but it should run good after both headgaskets.

Im gonna try and start it tomorrow. :D