Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC Clutch Fan

What is the purpose of this thing. When i had my green wagon with the bad t stat it didnt help cool the engine one bit when i drove it home. When my t stat is sticky in the white car it doesnt seem to keep the car any cooler until the t stat kicks on. If this thing is pretty much useless on keeping the car cool im dumping it. But since im trying to get my ac possibly working is this necessary to have or could i replace it with another electric one. Not that it will fit there, but i might make something work.

Is Guido an EA81 or EA82?

This is for Guido, right?

Anyway, you sould be able to find a good EA82 slimfan in the jy,

an EA81 will probably be harder to find though.

And if you have a sticky t-stat, then there is going to be reduced coolant

flow in the radiator, so the extra fan won't do anything but blow more air

over the engine

And for these subaru engines, its enough in a pinch, but I would not recommend that you try it (trust me, you don't want to try it.)

Good luck on finding a slim fan! (So I guess this means I recommend

getting rid of your clutch fan :grin:)

Twitch

I agree with Evildead, if you t-stat is dying, chuck it.

It'll cause you more problems having it in there, than not.

Plus, going into summer you won't really need it until about september.

It gives you just that much more time to get around to it.

I would suggest putting a sticky note on your steering wheel about it.

And the fan helps pull that much more heat off the radiator.

It actually does something that the engineers designed it to do, amazing!! :-p

But yeah, dump the clutch fan and the t-stat.

You'll be better off without them.

Plus you'll be able to replace that clutch fan with a better quieter slim fan!

Twitch(ing)

The A/C fan is there to cool the A/C compressor - nothing more. They are not designed to cool the engine, but on a 100 degree day in traffic the compressor needs airflow or you WILL be replacing it..... and till you do you'll be the guy with his windows down and sweat beading up in that 5 mph traffic jam.

GD

The ac condensor is in front of the radiator. The condensor is a heat exchanger; that is, it throws off hot air....right into the radiator. The second fan is there to get more air flowing through the radiator to keep the car from overheating while running at low speeds or waiting for the light to change while the ac is on.

Edited by edrach

The ac evaporator is in front of the radiator. The evaporator is a heat exchanger; that is, it throws off hot air....right into the radiator. The second fan is there to get more air flowing through the radiator to keep the car from overheating while running at low speeds or waiting for the light to change while the ac is on.

isnt the condensor in front of the radiator and the evaporator in by the blower motor under the dash :) and the drier is along the shock tower, with the compressor on top side of engine next to alternator

why do all these accessories end with "or"

radiator

evaporator

condensor

compressor

alternator

Eeor

meteor

band head more

Edited by bheinen74

isnt the condensor in front of the radiator and the evaporator in by the blower motor under the dash :) and the drier is along the shock tower, with the compressor on top side of engine next to alternator

why do all these accessories end with "or"

radiator

evaporator

condensor

compressor

alternator

Eeor

meteor

band head more

Yup. sorry.

There's a bit of misinformation here so let's get that cleared first-

That fan is only on EA82 cars with a/c. It's there because the condenser increases the heat load on the radiator, since it increases the temperature of the air going through the radiator. However, this is not the case if your a/c is not on, so if your a/c doesn't work and the electric fan does work, you should be -ok- without that fan. Pull the nuts off the hub, let it drop under the car, and put the nuts back on to keep the pulley in place.

Nothing done to the radiator will fix a bad t-stat, but just chucking it is not the answer. If it wasn't needed, no car would have one. It regulates the temperature of the engine by slowing the flow of coolant. If the coolant goes through the engine too quick, it won't pick up the heat, and if it goes through the radiator too quick, it won't dump the heat. Replace the thermostat with even a cheap one, and it'll be better.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see you cool a squared off chunk of metal with a fan. The compressor is cooled by the fairly cool refrigerant it's pumping along with the oil in that system, and you'll be replacing your heads a very long time before you replace the a/c compressor due to overheat.

If you put an electric fan in place of the clutch fan, I would put it on a relay. Signal the relay off the a/c compressor clutch circuit.