Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got bored, attacked Ed's old wheels...

Kid went down for a nap this afternoon and I had tons of energy and drive, so I went to work on the old set of wheels I picked up from Ed just last night. They were VERY rusty on the back side of every wheel, and fairly rusty on the lip and face of each of them either.

Here is the fruits of 3 hours of work:

wagonwheels1.jpg

wagonwheels2.jpg

wagonwheels3.jpg

It's hard to tell because the sunlight kind of washed out the pictures a bit, but they're now silver.

And the backsides, which you can kind of see through the spokes, will turn black overnight.

After stripping and washing both sides of each wheel at least twice, I painted the backs with Duplicolor Rust Fix (which turns rust into primer).

The faces were painted with Duplicolor silver wheel paint (5 coats) and clear (3 coats). They don't look perfect, but they look about 400% better than they did this morning, easily.

See, Ed? Told you I was going to go to town on them . :)

Anyway, now I have fresh-ish wheels to put tires on once the ones on the BRAT crap out, which won't be long.

Best way to do it is to have them sandblasted and powder coated. It's not as expensive as you think. About $100 for sandblasting and $100 for powder coating.

Anyone local can just bring their wheels to me and I'll sandblast them for $50... does wonders even if you are going to paint them. There is NO rust when I'm done.

GD

Best way to do it is to have them sandblasted and powder coated. It's not as expensive as you think. About $100 for sandblasting and $100 for powder coating.

Anyone local can just bring their wheels to me and I'll sandblast them for $50... does wonders even if you are going to paint them. There is NO rust when I'm done.

GD

Yes, but when your budget is $20, this is the way to go. Remember: Still unemployed.

GD

GD, great price on the sandblasting. Next time I have a set of wheels I want done, I'll bring them down to Portland and have you do them. Worth my while. Thanks for the information.

GD, great price on the sandblasting. Next time I have a set of wheels I want done, I'll bring them down to Portland and have you do them. Worth my while. Thanks for the information.

Yeah - it's no problem when you have access to a 45 CFM blast cabinet with a lazy-susan inside! :grin:

Takes about an hour to do a set of rims generally.

GD