Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Gen/Stage?

Sorry, as I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it, and I have been playing in the search for at least a few hours altogether. :) Anyways, what Gen/Stage would my newly aquired 1973 GL1400 coupe be? Can someone link me to a page that has info on the different Gen/Stage cars? I would like to be informed. :popcorn:

Mark

Can someone link me to a page that has info on the different Gen/Stage cars?

I don't believe we have such a page.

But if you have the VIN number, I can clarify exactly what model/designation and such it is.

I believe there was only one major "re-design" of the 70's model coupes, and that was just a facia change later on. So you have a first-gen 70's coupe with the 4-port EA63 engine. I can use the VIN to figure out exactly which motor/model you have though through the FSM and parts manual.

73 Coupe says enough if you ask me. Just keeps you from having everybody confuse your car with an 80's coupe or something else honestly.

This sub forum will be the best place to ask anything about that car. The TRUE geeks of oldie Subaru's lurk here. The 360 is another matter though.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am just curious to what constitutes a Gen 1/2 etc, and the different stage #'s and more importantly, the differences as it relates to parts and/or interchanges. Is this not really a concern with my car? I fully expect to ask a bunch of questions here as I plan out the direction I'm going to take with this.

Mark

The body lines on the stage 1 cars is different from the stage 2 cars, but most of the drivetrain parts will interchange between stage one and stage 2, but your car should have a special engine crossmember and exhaust being a Dual Port 1400 car, the steering rack should be on top of the crossmember instead of under it. As far as interior parts, I cant really tell you what changes and what doesnt, but I know that all the door handles are different on Stage 1 and stage 2 cars. Stage 2 cars are the same body as the Gen 1 Brats.

-Bill

The body lines on the stage 1 cars is different from the stage 2 cars, but most of the drivetrain parts will interchange between stage one and stage 2, but your car should have a special engine crossmember and exhaust being a Dual Port 1400 car, the steering rack should be on top of the crossmember instead of under it. As far as interior parts, I cant really tell you what changes and what doesnt, but I know that all the door handles are different on Stage 1 and stage 2 cars. Stage 2 cars are the same body as the Gen 1 Brats.

-Bill

Is the stage 2 slighty bigger body? They do look a bit bigger.

dad even called the 1600 shaped one (1977ish) the ugly bigger sister lol:lol:

Is the stage 2 slighty bigger body? They do look a bit bigger.

dad even called the 1600 shaped one (1977ish) the ugly bigger sister lol:lol:

I wouldnt call it bigger, I think it just has more of a bulbous, rounder shape to it than the rather flat-sided Stage 1s, Id have to take some measurements to see whether or not they are actually bigger. The most noticable differences to me are the Stage 1s generally have the turn signals under the front bumper or in the grill, whereas the Stage 2s have the ones that wrap around the corner of the fender (Gen 1 Brat). Also the stage 1s have that stylish seam that runs the length of the body, where the stage 2s dont have such a noticible line there, its rather subtle. Overall I think the Stage 1s are a bit cooler in that there is a little more style in every part of the car, compare interior trim like the door handles/trim and stuff to a Stage 2, and you see that the stage 2 stuff just isnt as fancy-feeling, the Stage 2s are much more utilitarian in feel.

-Bill

I wouldnt call it bigger, I think it just has more of a bulbous, rounder shape to it than the rather flat-sided Stage 1s, Id have to take some measurements to see whether or not they are actually bigger. The most noticable differences to me are the Stage 1s generally have the turn signals under the front bumper or in the grill, whereas the Stage 2s have the ones that wrap around the corner of the fender (Gen 1 Brat). Also the stage 1s have that stylish seam that runs the length of the body, where the stage 2s dont have such a noticible line there, its rather subtle. Overall I think the Stage 1s are a bit cooler in that there is a little more style in every part of the car, compare interior trim like the door handles/trim and stuff to a Stage 2, and you see that the stage 2 stuff just isnt as fancy-feeling, the Stage 2s are much more utilitarian in feel.

-Bill

I must amit I do not like the Gen 1 stage 2s.

The stage ones look soo much more classery especially the 72/early 73s with the synthic wood grain lol :slobber:

According to the FIRST page of the 72-75 parts manual, there were 3 "stages" for the 73 model year, depending on VIN number.

Here is the coupes information:

Stage I: A11L-700001 thru A22L-701102

Stage II: A22L-701103 thru A22L-704200

Stage III: A22L-704201 thru A22L-711000

HOWEVER, as far as I can tell, the differences between these stages is strictly limited to minor engine changes , mostly involving gaskets or accessories (like oil pans, carburetors, manifolds or air cleaners, etc.) which are only minor changes that I believe are still compatible over the years (like you can use pretty much any early EA oil pan on these engines, bolt pattern is the same)

In terms of the years, the 72-74 models shared most of the same engine/transmission/body components and were relatively unchanged. It was 75 when the engines went from 4-port to 2-port, and the general consensus is that the 4-ports are better for "flow" especially since they share similar valves to the 2-ports and even the EA71's. The camshaft is usable on the 4-ports vs. 2-ports and in the EA71 too (same mounting location/width etc., just different lobes)

75 was the first major change in terms of components. The front control arm changed in 75 to a new design with a different style front swaybar. HOWEVER, if you wished, you probably could swap that over to a newer style component (people here have swapped in early 80's front control arms and used Legacy front hubs with custom coilovers so they can upgrade their front brakes and run 5-lug wheels, but thats not necessary). The rear suspension stayed basically unchanged, and as i've mentioned the FWD rear drums stay the same up to the early 80's.

I believe the braking system was un-boosted up until 1975, at least according to the parts catalog, HOWEVER, you could probably find a brake booster/master cylinder from a later model and install that, or perhaps try to retrofit a newer style brake master cylinder/booster if you have that kind of ability.

In terms of the CHASSIS and BODY, the part numbers all change at 75, which is the year of the new fascia. HOWEVER, interestingly, the coupe lights/grills appear to have changed in 74! Most every other change in body parts occurs in 75 for the rest of the line. The front grill specifically changes from a "slat" design to a "grill" design. However, I think most of the body pieces are "swapable" between the years. Front fenders I know are compatible even with 1980 brats if you update the grill and hood and such too, so theres quite a bit to look through for body pieces. I think the weather molding is the same for all gen-1's as well (especially the windshields).

Here is the "GSR" coupe in 1973" (not sold in the states):

3267761196_013df497ca.jpg

This was the final iteration of the Coupe (which I believe started in 77) before the Gen-2's arrived in 1980:

3266936383_67e2e08141.jpg?v=0

Edited by Kostamojen

One ne on the fenders, while pre-77 Gen 1 fenders will probably physically bolt onto the car, the bodylines are different. I believe it was 77 or 78 that the body really changed, where the lines on the side of the car got mellowed out and became more curvey, and the front turn signals were moved to the fender corners.

I have a 72 Tailgate wagon and a 76 4wd wagon, as well as a collection of 78-81 Brats with which I make my comparisons and reach my conclusions.

So far what i have seen, I could easily swap my 72 DL grill onto my 76, as well as the fenders, doors, and most of the interior, it all bolts into the same places for the most part. None of the body/trim pieces will swap onto my Brats, or a stage 2 wagon for that matter, well they may swap but they wont match the body lines, even the door handles are different! The interiors might swap, but dont quote me on that. Drivetrain components are completely interchangeable though, the basic platform did not really change until 1980 when the 2nd gen chassis came out.

As far as stages, I believe most refer to the stages as the actual body changeover, which was 77 I believe. So Pre-77 would be Stage 1, and 77-79 and Brats 77-81 would be Stage 2.

Engine/trim/chassis stages are another story :banana:

-Bill

I've found about a half a dozen different looking front ends on the 70's models so far while looking for pics of a 77 (can't seem to find a 77 coupe pic!).

77 was the year the brat came out, correct? I think thats when they changed ALL the front ends to the brat-style front end, however as beast mentions, there are various compatibility issues body-wise. But i'd think most everything would still bolt on (as a set) even if the lines are not correct.

However, the hood line did change in 77 to the flat-er style hood without the square area around where the headlights are located. Thats the major change that came along with the car, that you can see in those two pics I posted actually.

Remember the GSR had brake booster from 72 i think?

yes there is a difference between 73 and 74 for the grills.

I even think the subaru symbol became smaller. and it has that space that can fit the fog light?

The indicators between 73 and 74 are different. 73 is fully orange, the 74 has the orange and white indicators.

In 72 and early 73 you got the fake wood grain, the nice round gauages, heater switch is in different place.

I think the center console is different from 73 to 74?

77 was the year the brat came out, correct? I think thats when they changed ALL the front ends to the brat-style front end, however as beast mentions, there are various compatibility issues body-wise. But i'd think most everything would still bolt on (as a set) even if the lines are not correct.

If you have a look closely at the stage 1 (72-76) and stage 2 (77-81) they look almost identical due the same glass and basic structure being used, however, all body panels are very different both on the outside and the inside! There is no way you could mount the front end (guards, bonnet (hood?) and grille) of a stage 1 onto a stage 2 (at least not without a lot of fabrication!).

If you have a look closely at the stage 1 (72-76) and stage 2 (77-81) they look almost identical due the same glass and basic structure being used, however, all body panels are very different both on the outside and the inside! There is no way you could mount the front end (guards, bonnet (hood?) and grille) of a stage 1 onto a stage 2 (at least not without a lot of fabrication!).

Ya, now that I think about it, the headlight locations and such on the chassis would all have to be different, among other things. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that it was actually 77.5 when they changed.. I have a stage 1 wagon that is a 77, only because it was early 77. Brats were being produced in late 77 but sold as 78 models right??

-Mike

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=442

One ne on the fenders, while pre-77 Gen 1 fenders will probably physically bolt onto the car, the bodylines are different. I believe it was 77 or 78 that the body really changed, where the lines on the side of the car got mellowed out and became more curvey, and the front turn signals were moved to the fender corners.

I have a 72 Tailgate wagon and a 76 4wd wagon, as well as a collection of 78-81 Brats with which I make my comparisons and reach my conclusions.

So far what i have seen, I could easily swap my 72 DL grill onto my 76, as well as the fenders, doors, and most of the interior, it all bolts into the same places for the most part. None of the body/trim pieces will swap onto my Brats, or a stage 2 wagon for that matter, well they may swap but they wont match the body lines, even the door handles are different! The interiors might swap, but dont quote me on that. Drivetrain components are completely interchangeable though, the basic platform did not really change until 1980 when the 2nd gen chassis came out.

As far as stages, I believe most refer to the stages as the actual body changeover, which was 77 I believe. So Pre-77 would be Stage 1, and 77-79 and Brats 77-81 would be Stage 2.

Engine/trim/chassis stages are another story :banana:

-Bill