Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'80-'82 Radio antenna removal?

HTKYSA doesn't even cover it, and my Haynes manual only cover '83-'84 antennaes (the passenger-fender mounted, threaded mast style).

I need to know how to remove the antenna assembly on an '80-'82, driver-fender mounted, snap it off and never fix it again style antenna.

I've got the gasket and plastic cover piece off of the antenna on the fender, but can't figure out how the actual antenna is attached. Hopefully I don't have to yank the whole god-forsaken fender?

Disassembly for the fender indicates I have to take the bumper off... not exactly "easy" by my definition of the word, at least at this moment. That's also assuming all of the bolts can actually be backed out of the fender, and won't need sawzalling (unlike the LAST fender I pulled). Hmmm...

remove the inner fender plastic. you should be able to get at the bolt that holds the antenna to the body.... or you may possibly be able to see it when the door is open....

for those looking for a replacement, ShawnW found a BMW ( I think...) collapsable one that fit's right in. it telescopes just like the original, but it's about 100 times better quality material and looks....

I have one, but my antenna hasn't broken yet in the last 4 years....