Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a STI 6 speed fit in an 88 GL??? Yes!!! Pics inside!!!

suberdave

Well i did it dont know if it has ever been done yet... but i now have a 2003 Ver8 STI 6 speed in my 1988 GL-10 Wagon...

Works real well behind the EJ20G, i love it. still has one noise i have to find, and i need a LHD shifter asm. the RHD shifter asm is way to the right of center...

IMG_0033_tn.JPG

IMG_0034_tn.JPG

IMG_0035_tn.JPG

IMG_0036_tn.JPG

O-yeah i also have to get the shift boot to look stock...

Edited by suberdave

What did you use for the trans mount? Looks good, almost got my wrx trans done in my 85. Still a little more mod on the cross members

front section: XT6

mid and rear sections: STI

however in an 85 the trans tunnel is not as wide, so you will have to cut and modify the rear section. but the bolt holes are there.

Saw it on Nasioc and rushed over here. Man I knew it would fit..totally awesome! Lovely that subaru made it match the general size of 4eat!

Dave is my Hero! Now Brembos? Bigger turbo? ej257? ;)

I assume no dccd?

:slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber:

Kaz

lets see...

Brembos: dont know about that, have the welwoods in front and have a set of Vented EJ brakes for the rear.

Bigger Turbo: have a VF37 twin scroll in the basement.

EJ257: also have one of those in the basement, working on cams and compression issues.

as for the DCCD, yes it has DCCD, the controler is in the mail.

Nice work Dave, looks like you beat me too it. I'm getting close to getting mine running but funding is almost there for the new engine build and this same 6mt swap. I definatly need to come down and do some discussing with you one of these days about this.

lets see...

Brembos: dont know about that, have the welwoods in front and have a set of Vented EJ brakes for the rear.

Bigger Turbo: have a VF37 twin scroll in the basement.

EJ257: also have one of those in the basement, working on cams and compression issues.

as for the DCCD, yes it has DCCD, the controler is in the mail.

Which dccd controller did you choose? I have experience with Spiider's (dccdpro) controller, FYI.

I had forgotten you had a willwood kit on the front.

This is so awesome man!

How do you like the short JDM gears? (I'm assuming it's jdm since you mentioned RHD linkage)

Has it made the car feel slower?

Kaz

also has to be jdm due to the year, as we didn't get the 6MT until '04.

I, too, am curious about the controller. I've got a buddy using a spiider unit, and the rallyamerica car that I'm servicing for has a GEMS controller in it (EXTREMELY nice unit, but like $2k, IIRC).

:slobber::slobber::slobber::eek::eek:

:banana::banana::banana:

nice work! driven it much? any clearance issues? I thought GLoyale had clearance issues with the EJ 4EAT, and I thought the 6MT was a bit bigger than the 4EAT.

rear diff?

no clearance issues, it was tight getting it in, but it is fine now that it is all bolted in...

as far as rear diff. right now it has a turbo leg R160, but i have the R180 and i am working with rockfordcv to make me some conversion races so i can run it.

Which dccd controller did you choose? I have experience with Spiider's (dccdpro) controller, FYI.

I had forgotten you had a willwood kit on the front.

This is so awesome man!

How do you like the short JDM gears? (I'm assuming it's jdm since you mentioned RHD linkage)

Has it made the car feel slower?

Kaz

i bought a DCCDpro automoatic controller, seemed to be the best and simplest.

yes its JDM 2003, i love the gears, they are all a little closer but the 6th is a little higher, use to cruse @ 60 in 5th at 3200rpm now cruse @60 in 6th at 2700rpm.

the gearing has given the car a little more spunk, not slower in the least bit.