Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Help

Depends - EA82's came in carb, throttle body injection, multi-port injection, and multi-port injected turbo models. The carb versions (as well as the throttle body versions if you use a carb manifold) will accept Weber's.

If you want to install it in an EA81 body then you will have to notch the drivers side frame rail as the engine is quite a bit wider (forget about taking the heads off with it in the car). The notch is needed to clear the rear of the valve cover on the driver's side as that bank of cylinders is just a bit farther toward the rear. You will also have to move the hill holder and cut down one of the master cylinder bleeder screws in order to clear the distributor.

It can be done, but for the effort it's not worth the 10 HP. If you go with the throttle body injection retrofit and just happen to have an extra EA82 laying around (such as I did) then it makes an additional 17 HP over the EA81 and has increased driveability due to the injection..... it's a tough call with EJ22's being so cheap and a lot of folks making adaptor plate's availible to the community. For about the same amount of work that gets you 17 HP with the SPFI EA82 you can get 62 HP with the EJ22 swap - better and more reliable engine with increased fuel effeciency AND no notching of the frame rail or moving of the HH - the EJ engines are narrower than the EA82.

GD

EJ22 is straight up fuel injection. You wouldn't be able to use the carb but like GD said, you get more power for the amount of your work. I myself am working on a EJ22 swap into my 85' brat to replace the EA81, lots of work but hopefully the payoff will be worth it :grin:

I think some aussie folks have carb'ed an EJ22. Search for it here, i think you'll find something.

If you don't mind learning something fuel injection isn't the "Year 2000", "Big Brother", ideological worm hole that people think it is. It's very easy and reliable.