Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi problems

I do know this has been covered before....I did a search and couldnt weed it out.

Ok so carb was operating correctly before the engine swap. Then i dropped an spfi engine in and swapped the manifolds and distributors. Problem was, a lot of vacuum lines were plugged or missing so i tried my best to plug most of them off depending upon how they were run. Everything goes to a source or is plugged off.

Ok so after timing it and etc. I dropped some fuel down the carb and it fired right up. The fuel lines were installed correctly as i double checked with another car.

The problem is either tapping the key a few times or firing it, fuel comes out the front out of the accelerator valve i do believe. I pulled the top off, checked it, cleaned and reset the float and reassembled and the same problem. Is it the plunger on the accelerator valve or is it a further float/needle problem? It keeps flooding the front right of the carb.

Thanks

...carb was operating correctly before the engine swap. Then i dropped an spfi engine in and swapped the manifolds and distributors. ...

So, you are Trying to Run an SPFI EA82 Engine with the Intake & Carb + Disty from the Carbed EA82 Engine?

I Believe that There are other Background Differences Between the Carbed and the SPFI Engines` Setup, for Example: The Fuel Pump and the ECU. Did you Changed that Too...

if Everything Related to the Carb is AllRight, you must Know that a Bad Timing in the Timing Belts (For Example: a Theet Off) Could make the Pistons to Blow the Air/Fuel Mixture... Was the Newer Swapped Engine a Runner?

So, you are Trying to Run an SPFI EA82 Engine with the Intake & Carb + Disty from the Carbed EA82 Engine?

I Believe that There are other Background Differences Between the Carbed and the SPFI Engines` Setup, for Example: The Fuel Pump and the ECU. Did you Changed that Too...

if Everything Related to the Carb is AllRight, you must Know that a Bad Timing in the Timing Belts (For Example: a Theet Off) Could make the Pistons to Blow the Air/Fuel Mixture... Was the Newer Swapped Engine a Runner?

I guess i should have been more specific. The spfi engine came out of a donor vehicle, installed all new gaskets, swapped the intake manifolds and carb, and put the engine in the carbureted chassis.

As for the carb, i tore it down, found the plunger to be very weak and not sealing, the needle valve wasnt seating correctly, and a bunch of dirt all over the place. I just grabbed my other carb off the shelf and no issues so far. Thanks!