Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to look for in a used Forester?

Hi all, it's been about three years since I've been on here (our old Forester gave it's last in a bad crash, but no one got hurt, so she did her job).

Now I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 with 84k on the odometer. I have not seen it yet, but there is "noise from the rear end" so it at least will need bearings. The price is very good, so I wouldn't mind having to spend some money on parts to bring it up to snuff. I do most of my own mechanical work, and of course Subarus are pretty easy to work on.

What other things do I need to look for in a Forester with that many miles?

Any advice given is appreciated!

Not much to look for other than typical car stuff - maintenance records are nice. Torque bind is the main issue you want to look for (more common in automatics). And for that reason, matching tires are a big plus.

Timing belt is due in 16,000 miles. I'd probably consider doing it sooner given it's approaching 10 years old, almost certainly it hasn't been done.

EJ25's have head gasket issues. These leak externally on the rear of the engine, be sure to inspect that area. Or ask if they've already been replaced, many have already been replaced, I've bought a few like that.

This car actually is part of the 100,000 mile extended head gasket warranty campaign by Subaru. There's also a year component to that equation though, not sure if it's 8 or 10 years, but you might have some warranty left.

Hi all, it's been about three years since I've been on here (our old Forester gave it's last in a bad crash, but no one got hurt, so she did her job).

Now I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 with 84k on the odometer. I have not seen it yet, but there is "noise from the rear end" so it at least will need bearings. The price is very good, so I wouldn't mind having to spend some money on parts to bring it up to snuff. I do most of my own mechanical work, and of course Subarus are pretty easy to work on.

What other things do I need to look for in a Forester with that many miles?

Any advice given is appreciated!

Noise from the rear end may not necessarily be from bad bearings. It could be as simple as a tire that is out of balance to create "howling" or "thumping", so check for unusual rear tire wear. Subaru bearings generally don't go bad at 84K on the odo. Hope the Forester turns out to be a good one!

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think of the bad/worn tire scenario for the rear end noise, I'll definitely look out for that. Bad bearing noises can also be caused by a bent wheel. The head gasket issue is something I remember now from when I researched the first Scooby we got (I ended up waiting for an '03 back then), thanks for the reminder to check for that.

As I said, for the asking price it could be a little bit of a project car and I won't mind, we have three cars (and three drivers) in the family so this one could be my toy, and with the miles currently on it should still be running well when my daughter starts driving in a couple of years.

It's a one family/two owner car, the fellow who will introduce me to it is a friend of mine who is helping a family member sell it (he sells cars on the side) and is going to bring me the car "as is" without cleaning anything up, so I will get an honest look at it's condition.

I hope it turns out to be a car I want, I miss the Forester a lot, and this one sounds to be an S with the premium package (moonroof etc.). It would be perfect as a commuter car, and we could drop the insurance to "liability only" on one of our older cars with a good "spare" car on hand. Having an 18 year old driver living at home with an at-fault accident on record is darned expensive!

So if I buy it and there is any spare change found in it, should I donate the change to the USMB BBS? :-p

Having an 18 year old driver living at home with an at-fault accident on record is darned expensive!
not if you make them pay for it like my parents did. :lol:

good luck with the forester, hope it turns out to be nice. those one owner vehicles tend to have a far better track record than "low miles" or just about anything else.

The 2001 Forester will have the 2.5 phase 2 motor. Yes, it can have head gasket problems, but they are not necessarily severe. From what I have heard, it results in coolant loss at the corners of the head gasket that runs down the outside of the block and onto the pavement. Subaru dealers put an additive in the cooling system to stop or prevent the coolant leakage.

It is the earlier 2.5 phase 1 motors (1997-1999), that when they blow a head gasket, the driver gets stranded on the side of the road with an over heated engine. You won't have this problem with the phase 2 motor.

not if you make them pay for it like my parents did

Yes but - the kids been pounding the pavement and no jobs. One of his friends went and joined the Army because he didn't find a job, my son sort of considered that but he's got a scholarship he'd lose out on.

Finding a job is kinda tough these days, here's looking forward to better times.

I'll report back on the Scooby after I get the chance to look at it.

Yes but - the kids been pounding the pavement and no jobs. One of his friends went and joined the Army because he didn't find a job, my son sort of considered that but he's got a scholarship he'd lose out on.

Finding a job is kinda tough these days, here's looking forward to better times.

That used to be my response to, let em get a job like i did, but not these days. My nephew had been looking for months and can't find anything. His friend got one shift a week at mcdonalds (hardly makes it worth it). Locally here in downstate NY there really is nothing. Even whne stores do have signs in the windows, they are just collecting applications.

I can't even find part time work myself.

Had a good look and drive today at the Scooby. No leakage from heads. Rear diff not leaking. It has new brakes all around. The tow package is installed.

The auto trans fluid is fine (no bad smell), I couldn't find the dipstick for the center diff? Does an '01 auto have a dipstick for the center diff?

The bearing suspect noise doesn't seem like a bearing, it only happens at a low speed, doesn't change when loading/unloading (turning side to side while noise is happening in a parking lot). I think it's a tire, the tires are OK but 2/3 worn out. There is no pull. A slight (very slight) shimmy tells me a wheel is not true or - more likely - a tire is out of round (would match the suspicion above).

The transmission shows no signs of binding and shifts the way I've felt other auto Subies shift, not the most sophisticated or smooth thing when you're on it but smooth when cruising.

Struts seem a little soft, according to the friend that is selling it this shouldn't be a surprise as the previous owners are "on the husky side".

Everything works including the overhead clock, car is straight (never been hit), no wind noise is present.

The rear cupholder is broken. The interior isn't badly worn but it's disgustingly dirty. Car is a smokers car (no major burns I could see, but it's *dirty* in there). Someone used shiny stuff on the dash (I can't stand that stuff).

It's a Chicago city car, so the bumper covers have normal nicks and dings, the passenger marker/turn lamp is cracked and the trim piece under the passsenger headlamp is gone, looks to be about $120 for both (1stsubaruparts for the trim, ebay for the marker housing).

Headlights are fogged pretty bad. Some Meguiars plastic polish and some clearcoat would do wonders for them, or just replace 'em with ebay cheapies for $150.

I offered $4600, which is KBB trade-in value for the vehicle in "rough" shape, and they accepted. All I have to do is fork over the bread, then I can start pimpin' my ride with some soap and water.:brow:

Congrats! Sounds like you've got a good handle on what needs to be done. Check out the brake pads, sliders and rotors--they might be contributing to that "noise."

Yeah, I hate shiny dashes too. Wash it off well with soapy water (Simple Green?) then when it's dry, wipe it down with a light coat of pure silicone. Spray it on the rag not on the dash itself. Gives a nice sheen and I've never had it go "white" on me.

Good luck and happy pimping!