Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i guess a VOM is a Voltage Meter - Multimeter tool for measuring electrical properties? it's likely the switch.

let's see - this impreza should be the style where you're just pulling or pushing the lever to make the highs come on?

if that's the case try "pulling out" - meaning away from the steering column, towards the door, while at the same time flipping the switch back and forth.

sometimes that will get them to work (or not work!) and shows you the switch is bad.

ok, i tried to pull the switch in every direction and no luck.

i dont think its the combination switch cause when i turn on the high lights, the headlights dont work but the blue high light indicator does turn on, does anyone know how to test relays? i do have a fluke VOM, so i can check out whatever is neccesary.

thanks guys!

You can find all kinds of information on testing relays by doing a web search.

Since the lows beams are working and the HI-beam indicator is turning on this means the relay and fuses for the lights are working like they should be and are common to both lighting modes so the trouble is not with them. After looking at some info it shows that the RED lead for the Hi-beams runs through the SMJ connector on the firewall. This is the main connector for the wiring. Pin A3 ties to the lights to make the ground connection for them through the switch. Since the HI-beam indicator is turning on this tells me that the ground is working at that point but it appears there may be a bad connection to the lights on pin A3 of the SMJ connector. By disconnecting it and then reconnecting it the trouble may clear. That pin should have no voltage on it when the HI-beams are switched ON.