Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with EA81 motor mounts

Okay, so I posted this in the historic section since it's an '81, but since it has the EA81 I'm assuming I'll get a better response here. I just need to know what size motor mount bolts are used. I'm trying to buy an '81 BRAT from a friend. He pulled the motor to swap out a bunch of gaskets, and in the process lost the motor mount bolts and one of the exhaust manifolds (which I'm still looking for a replacement). It's in an old barn he uses for a shop. I could probably figure something out, but thought someone surely knows what size bolts I need... Please? and thank you!

Okay, so I posted this in the historic section since it's an '81, but since it has the EA81 I'm assuming I'll get a better response here. I just need to know what size motor mount bolts are used. I'm trying to buy an '81 BRAT from a friend. He pulled the motor to swap out a bunch of gaskets, and in the process lost the motor mount bolts and one of the exhaust manifolds (which I'm still looking for a replacement). It's in an old barn he uses for a shop. I could probably figure something out, but thought someone surely knows what size bolts I need... Please? and thank you!

Hmm......Motor to crossmember nuts are M10 x 1.25, and so should be the bolts that hold the mount to the engine. THough those should not have been disturbed for a reseal?

And exhaust manifolds? do you mean the ASV spacer?

I am very unfamiliar with boxers and Subarus. So, not really sure. I know he pulled the motor, and the time or two I've looked it over I didn't pay that much attention. It wasn't until I had left that he told me the parts were missing. I was just taking pix for a friend that was going to buy it. The friend backed out, and I decided I needed another vehicle sitting around... :)

I'll try to go take a look. Figure out exactly what's missing. Maybe get some pix.

thanks for the help so far, though.

• 1 month later...

Finally got over to the BRAT. Here are some pix. Apparently I'm just needing a section of pipe with the flange on it, right? It appears that the driver's side only has two bolt holes on the flange, but 4 bolt holes in the head. Is this normal, and is this what the passenger side will look like?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the motor mount bolts are there... No one was home when I went over and took pix, so didn't get a chance to ask my friend any questions about it.

I did look it over a little better this time, and it's rustier than I thought. If I had to guess I would say the the suspension points that I read about being the problem spots are okay, it's everything else that looks bad. I have another friend with a VW powered sandrail/buggy, and we've been discussing ditching the body and building a full tube frame for this. After looking it over today I think that may be the only option. I was really just wanting this around to kinda help haul brush, rock, etc... and maybe teach the wife to drive a standard (she kinda scared me when I let her try to drive my Buick)... I guess I still can till the body falls down around the wheels...

2 views of the driver's side, 1 of the passenger's side...

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

I got a bunch of EA81 stuff including some exhaust stuff. I still have the headers and bolts and motor mounts. Let me know if you want them.

Well, it looks like I'm okay on motor mounts, but I'd be interested to see what you have for exhaust. Any chance you could post or email pix and price? IIRC it's missing the oil filler cap, if you have one of those too.

Thanks...

Finally got over to the BRAT. Here are some pix. Apparently I'm just needing a section of pipe with the flange on it, right? It appears that the driver's side only has two bolt holes on the flange, but 4 bolt holes in the head. Is this normal, and is this what the passenger side will look like?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the motor mount bolts are there... No one was home when I went over and took pix, so didn't get a chance to ask my friend any questions about it.

I did look it over a little better this time, and it's rustier than I thought. If I had to guess I would say the the suspension points that I read about being the problem spots are okay, it's everything else that looks bad. I have another friend with a VW powered sandrail/buggy, and we've been discussing ditching the body and building a full tube frame for this. After looking it over today I think that may be the only option. I was really just wanting this around to kinda help haul brush, rock, etc... and maybe teach the wife to drive a standard (she kinda scared me when I let her try to drive my Buick)... I guess I still can till the body falls down around the wheels...

2 views of the driver's side, 1 of the passenger's side...

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

You're right on the exhaust flange. Only two holes on each side, and 2 studs/side with nuts. You can actually see on your pictures where two of the holes are rusty from the flange, and the other two are a different color. They just come with 4 for some reason that I'm sure someone else will explain.

Jacob

Here are the little exhaust dealios that insert into the gap. and then the oil filler tube, (the cap is somewhere in the bed of the brat I know.

CIMG6871.JPG

CIMG6872.JPG

CIMG6873.JPG

I don't know a price for these things. Hopefully they could all fit in a priority box. how bout $20 for everything plus whatever shipping is?

Here are the little exhaust dealios that insert into the gap. and then the oil filler tube, (the cap is somewhere in the bed of the brat I know.

CIMG6871.JPG

CIMG6872.JPG

CIMG6873.JPG

I don't know a price for these things. Hopefully they could all fit in a priority box. how bout $20 for everything plus whatever shipping is?

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here, but those are some kind of emissions pieces, right? It doesn't look like mine had those, and I would assume I don't need them. I just need the 2 bolt flange/pipe, to complete the passenger side, right?

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here, but those are some kind of emissions pieces, right? It doesn't look like mine had those, and I would assume I don't need them. I just need the 2 bolt flange/pipe, to complete the passenger side, right?

They are for the air inejction system - which you may or may not have had. The only engines made with non-AIS spacers were feedback carb models and they had an AIS spacer on only one side - the other side had a "blank" spacer. Good luck finding one. You are better off welding the port closed on the one's he's offering you.

GD

They are for the air inejction system - which you may or may not have had. The only engines made with non-AIS spacers were feedback carb models and they had an AIS spacer on only one side - the other side had a "blank" spacer. Good luck finding one. You are better off welding the port closed on the one's he's offering you.

GD

Can I not just forget the spacers, and bolt the exhaust to the head like it appears someone has done before? Either way, I still need the pipe and flange. I guess I can just get a gasket as a pattern, and make my own...

Looking at your pictures and realizing you have an '81 brat with the first-gen body I would say it probably never had the AIS spacers. Looks like the manifold should bolt directly to the heads. Subaru did this on some years anyway. You should not use bolts though - they should have studs in the heads due to the nature of the aluminium threads.

GD

Thanks for the help so far guys...

But just curious if someone could tell me what diameter of pipe for the exhaust? I can't make it over to the BRAT for a couple days, but I've got a friend that's going to bend a piece for me, and I'm going to make a flange and weld this up. I just want to let him know what size pipe in case he doesn't have any...

thanks!

Well, I got my flange made, but forgot to ask what size thread for the exhaust to heads? I'm hoping its the same as the engine mounts, so I can just use the ones I bought temporarily... till I can get some studs...

I got a new oil cap, and I'm hoping to bring this home tomorrow or Saturday. Will probably pull the carpet out, put down some POR15 on the floors, and rivet in some sheet metal to cover the larger holes, then spray undercoat on the floor... I'm also thinking about taking the doors off, since they're pretty rusted and banged up, and the passenger's window is busted... :(

I'll post some pix when I get her home, but you guys have to promise not to laugh. Poor thing is in pretty rough shape...

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S ALIVE!

Well, almost...

Fixed a really bad ground to the battery today (still needs some attention), filled the radiator and added seme gas... Got it running. Drove it back and forth a few feet then shut 'er down. Heater hose blew, and water pump is leaking... Going to bypass the heater, and see if I need a new gasket or pump... Also, seemed to be idling kinda high, and someone has reveted the choke housing, so it can't be adjusted. Probably needs some carb work, but it's going for now... I can actually say I got to drive the BRAT!

Also, need a little air in one of the tires (which look pretty new, plus its been stored inside for that last several years)...

The choke housings are riveted from the factory and aren't supposed to need adjustment. It could be that someone turned up the idle speed screw because the carb refuses to idle due to either a clogged idle circuit or a bad vacuum leak etc. If I had a penny for every time I've run across a carb set that way because the previous owner had no clue about carbs I would have...... like probably 15 or 20 cents :rolleyes:

GD

Interesting. There were two rivets and one screw, so I just assumed someone stripped two screws. Once I get the water leaks fixed, or at least the big one (heater hose bypassed) I'll get it home, and clean up the carb. It seems to run good otherwise. I know it's been sitting a while... maybe a year. I think he'd go start it every great once in a while...

I'll get some hose, and check prices on water pumps. It looks easy to change, so if they're not too expensive I may just replace it.

I can't wait to get it home and start tinkering. Problem is I've got too many projects...