Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No brakes on a hill...weeeeeee

I am in need know of a clean pair of under wear and a wheel cylinder. Last night heading back into town, down a very steep grade and of course, it wasn't straight. Next thing i know, little pop and brake pedal to the floor, low brake fluid light comes on. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

So I'm now trying to locate a wheel cylinder, which nobody in Podunk Town U.S.A. has, amazing since I know of at least 30 that are running around in our town alone.

Back to the point, everyone is asking if its got 11/16 or 3/4 inch bore. I don't have the vehicle here to check, is there a way to narrow it down by application, perhaps better than the num nuts at our parts stores can? If not, can I just replace both wheel cylinders at the same time if I replace them both with matching bore sizes? For example, if mine are 11/16 bore and I order 2 with a 3/4 inch bore can I swap them both out?

Crap...I meant to put that in there, I imagine that would be extremely helpful.

:grin: Its an 89 SW dl 4x4 d/r manual trans. 1.8. Also every store that looked it up only showed an Xt model or sedan, I would guess sedan must be the same as SW?

every store that looked it up only showed an Xt model or sedan

Hmmm... Subaru made alot more than just the Xt and the Sedan in '89. There was also the wagon, hatch, coupe, and Justy, and maybe an RX and an XT6 too...... silly parts store :)

I THINK that the 3/4" is for the EA82 (wagons, coupes and sedans) and the 11/16" is for the EA81 (brats, hatchs). But I am not 100% sure about that...

NOTHING on a Subaru is SAE - 3/4" would be very near 19mm, but 11/16" doesn't have an even equivelent - it's 17.46mm....

I hate parts stores that do that - it's a METRIC car.

I wouldn't guess that it wouldn't matter. The size difference is negligible - I would just go with the larger one's seeing as you have an EA82 and I beleive the drums are a bit larger than the EA81's.

GD

Thanks guys, I had to make an educated guess yesterday afternoon, well semi educated, i never did graduate high school LOL. I found a parts store that was 45 miles away that had a set of the 3/4's so I sent her up to get them. I like the logic in the larger vehicle taking the 3/4 guess had I stayed in school I'd have figured that out :-\ Luckily after getting one off i found that it was 3/4. I was going to put the 3/4 on anyways to see what happened, it worked anyways.

As far as them saying it was 11/16 or 3/4 i think alot of the time they do that because alot of there customers find it easier to measure in standard then metric. I work at a salvage yard and I know alot of times they will ask for the OD of something like a rotor and give you the options in MM's and it never fails, customer will call back give me the measurement, I'll send them the part, 3 days later they call back and measured their MM's wrong. Its just a thought.