Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Safety Brain Tickler'-Utah

So i know that the rules differ from state to state, but i was failed on the safety test for not having my sway bar installed. They marked it as missing suspension on the report. I removed it because i may have bent it when i replaced a CV axle on my wheeler Loyale and decided it wasn't necessary for this car. It still doesn't have any body roll around corners! Super stiff suspension or something. Anyways anyone know if the sway bar is Required to pass? Thanks

Also i went to replace the spark plugs, and to my super dismay one plug pulled the threads out with it?! And one other was stripped. I only managed to put in one new plug and was to scarred to continue. It runs now but is there a fix for this? Drill out and re tap? Throw some in with JB weld and call it good? haha Thanks for any help.

Edited by hardtail_pride
added question.

1. straighten out the sway bar and install it to pass the inspection.

2.Go to a well stocked auto parts store and buy a spark plug tap.

try the one for the stock sized threads first. it is easier and cheaper to simply rethread them if you can. I had to do this to my car recently.

If this fails, then get a heli coil kit that fits your size threads and replace them.

3. In the future always use antiseize compound on any thread that go into aluminum, especially spark plugs.

4. It is nice to see some here from Ut. I thought that I was the only one.

Here is the 2009-2010 Utah state safety inspection manual book. This isn't secret information, it's publicly available. The highway patrol isn't trying to just screw you by having unknown standards, you should know what to expect.

http://www.des.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/X2009-2010%20SI%20PLT%20ManuaL.pdf

Sway bars are on page 29...it does indeed seem that disconnecting (or removing, for that matter) a swaybar that was installed at the factory is grounds for rejection, so the inspector was correct in this case.

If you need a little bit more personalized service, you could stop by and have me do your inspection. I have to warn you, I'm gentle and fair in my inspections, but I'm not one who let's unsafe items "slide"...I didn't even pass my own Brat's safety inspection until I got my exhaust leaks fixed:lol:. Oh, I guess I ought to tell you where I work too: Doug Smith Subaru, in American Fork.

~Erik~

(silver 1984 Brat...live in Eagle Mountain)

Good to know about the sway bar. Luckily I have my safety already done from when I tried to register. Presently the brat's swaybar is lying in a pile of cross members, wires, and EA81 etc parts. Nothing wrong with altering your car to pass safety and then changing it right back. I know people who have extra sets of windows for occasions when they get window tint fix-it tickets. :banana:

I am also in Utah. SLC to be precise. 81 BRAT GL. Since we seem to have a local inspection guy here, I'm going to hijack the thread and ask about a shortened exhaust. I was failed for mine that ends just behind the rear axle. But when I looked at the book online, it reads that on pickup trucks, the exhaust must end behind the rear of the passenger compartment. Do I simply need to remind the inspector of the code?

I removed it because i may have bent it when i replaced a CV axle on my wheeler Loyale and decided it wasn't necessary for this car.

to heck with the code. i want to know how you bent a sway bar.

unless you heat it up with a torch. you cant bend a spring steel bar. that is what it is ment to do. bend then bend back to its normal pos.

just food for thought.

Haha Mormon in Michigan close enough! Well good news, i got the sway bar back in, i guess it wasn't as bent as i thought. Only have to get a windshield washer squirter installed on the hood cause i was failed on that too and im set to have a re inspection!

Hey you get a month for a re test right?

Ok thread topic change, Will body parts from an 87 sedan fit my 90 loyale? Like hood, fenders, bumpers, and DR tranny? Thanks!

"Get" to pay again. I personally feel like I HAVE to pay again but I was only slightly bitter at Lube Doc... For windsheilds I recommend TechnaGlass by the D.I. in provo. They had the absolute cheapest price by far from anyone else in the area for my brat.

I am also in Utah. SLC to be precise. 81 BRAT GL. Since we seem to have a local inspection guy here, I'm going to hijack the thread and ask about a shortened exhaust. I was failed for mine that ends just behind the rear axle. But when I looked at the book online, it reads that on pickup trucks, the exhaust must end behind the rear of the passenger compartment. Do I simply need to remind the inspector of the code?

Well, the passenger compartment of hte subaru extends all the way to the back of the wagon. Even though nobody is sitting back there, it is still part of the same air enclosure. I know here in Oregon, the exhaust must exit fully behind (or above, STACKS!) the passenger area, which on a wagon, includes the rear.

There's two of 'em in Orem, one in Hyrum, and I'm just a few hours up 15.

And me, I'm here too. In the older than old historic forum ( my car and myself :lol:), but nevertheless here. There are actually a few more Utahns on here also. We all hide in the shadows and watch what's going on.....:-p:

Ok i have fixed everything they marked me down on when i failed and tomorrow is the re test! Hopefully i pass otherwise i might need some help from you Z stalker. I wont let the place that is doing the inspection work on my car anymore cause they overfilled my oil by a quart. Who does that?:mad:

I agree that the bed shouldn't be considered "passenger compartment," but since the Brat is a full unibody car (effectively a wagon with no rear roof) the matter gets slightly complicated. One thing you can do is call Highway Patrol...the number should be on your rejected safety inspection paper. They're the final judge on matters like that and since there's a little grey area for the Brat, it might not be such a bad idea to see what the official word is.

BTW, when I said I'd do safety inspections I wasn't meaning "I'll pass anything," just that I'm probably more understanding for the concerns old Subarus face than the average inspector....I'll be gentle ;) Bring it by any time.

~Erik~

No i didnt mean i would bring it by for a free guaranteed pass inspection! I figured instead of just failing me and not givin me any options you would actually help me out and show me the steps needed to pass.

Well plans may change on this one, i started some rust removal and didnt realize just how rusted out this loyale is. Im going to think about wether or not to keep this one for a couple days then probably come in and get the process rolling again on inspections. Thanks!

Haha Mormon in Michigan close enough! Well good news, i got the sway bar back in, i guess it wasn't as bent as i thought. Only have to get a windshield washer squirter installed on the hood cause i was failed on that too and im set to have a re inspection!

Hey you get a month for a re test right?

Ok thread topic change, Will body parts from an 87 sedan fit my 90 loyale? Like hood, fenders, bumpers, and DR tranny? Thanks!

Hood ,fenders , yes, no ,bumper and grill is different and if you use the hood you will have to replumb the windscreen squirters, or you can use all four, MORMONS ROCK !!!!