Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 2.5i engine use regular gasoline.

I'm on my second new Forester, so I'm far from anti-Subaru. Right now, I am shopping for a new Suby for my GF. So far, it has been one disappointment after another.

2010 Impreza-1000 lbs towing limit, new CVT transmission unproven in the US market, and pemium gas.

2009 Impreza- TOWING LIMIT UNKNOWN. That's right, my GF was about to ink the purcahse conmtract when I asked about a genuine Subaru towing hitch. No Subaru hitch is available for the 2009 Impreza. The dealer had no info on the Impreza's towing capacity (Saturday). I called off the deal until I could get a definite answer.

So far, not good. I own a big property. At the very least I need to be able to tow a utility trailer, let alone my Sailboat. Subaru seems to be abandoning many of the things that they built their reputation on. If I wanted just another yuppiemoblie I'd buy a Lexus.

Edited by The Dude

At least as far as gasoline octane requirement go. That's right, the standard 2.5i engine REQUIRES premium (high test) gasoline.

That's odd - I drove the 2010 a few weeks ago, and the salesman said it took regular. Not that I would put it past a salesman to be economical with the truth, but are you sure that that's not a requirement for the Turbo?

It just seems strange that they've gone that way, especially when the 2010 OBW with the six-cylinder now uses 87 instead of the 93 we have to put in my mom's '07 OBW.

You are correct , my mistake. I followed the wrong column on the spec PDF. The 2.5 GT is listed in the same document. The 2.5 i engine uses regular (87 octane) gas. There have been a lot chages since I thoroughly researched the purchase of my 2006 Forester. I corrected the original post.

Edited by The Dude

Why would you wnat to buy a new car anyway. Let someone else take the depreciation. I am never going to buy a new car again. I love buying a broken Sube and fixing it and then driving it for a good long time. Gte a 99 or 2000 Forester for her. One with low mileage would still cost far less than the 09 or 10 impreza. From what I can see, the impreza doesn't look like a car for towing anyway. It is really their low end car.

The last Forster I bought cost me 850 and then I put a newer engine in it and all I have in the car is 1600.00. It runs like a top and I really like the ride too. With the trailer hitch I can carry my bikes too. I'm really sold on them.

The towing factor of the Impreza was discussed over on Nasioc... It is actually stated in my owners manual for my 08 that it cannot be used for towing.I believe t has something to do with the rear exhaust design etc..they probably redesigned for 2010.

I wouldnt want to haul with my Imp anyway.. I have a beater with a heater legacy for that if needed. But I would give it up for a Forester I think without much arm twisting. Foresters are great!

As for the comment on buying a new car.. I couldnt be more happy that having bought a brand new car.. I know 100% of its maintenance and dont plan on getting rid of it till there is nothing left of it..and that warranty alone is nice for a change. My 08 is 2 years old now and still looks like the day I bought it..

I just got tired of fixing other peoples junk and was always pot luck if it was going to be a good one or not.

I've got an H6 OBW, Impreza, XT6, and a Truck, and can see why he'd want to tow with his car. I can't stand driving my truck. I don't like the way it handles and how huge it is. I like the truck, but it's solely for hauling cars, everything else is hauled by my cars.

I do see your point, but a jump in vehicle size/ability seems reasonable if towing is that important. Impreza's are a kind of "entry level" Subaru and not known for all the bells, whistles, and capabilities of the larger counterparts.

That being said - lots of folks are towing boats, motorcycles...and even other cars, with older gen Subaru's. Now, I completely frown upon someone willing to tow a car, but my point is I'm sure an Impreza can handle some towing just fine regardless of what it's rated for. Particularly considering where you live - down south, no snow, flat land, you can tow all day long.

I wouldn't worry too much about the CVT. Easy for me to say when you will have long forgotten this post if you have problems in the future. :lol:

The design of the 08/09 Imprezas does not allow them to be fitted for a tow hitch..older models yes..the OP was talking about an 09 model in comparison to an 10 .. It sounds like they have redesigned them to allow for a hitch.

As for the small trucks.. I have owned many and actually love them..they can be had cheap and are surprisingly capable with the smaller motors. ( its all in the gearing :) )

an 07 or older Impreza should have the towing specs. I own an 08 Imp and I can see why they arent rated..there is no way of attaching a hitch to the car.