Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best 14mm tool for removing plug for block heater

Is this on an ea81? I would recomend spraying penetrating oil around the outside of the plug and letting it set up for a while. Also find your strongest impact gun and start going to town on the thing. Few bumps forward and a few bumps back and so forth. You may have to spray and let set a few times. And as far as pennetrating oil goes... Don't go with wd-40. I would recomend pb blaster or something similar.

i might suggest that after applying the pb blaster, to let the engine run to gets some heat in the block, and use a small punch/hammer and "jar" the plug nd spry more pb blaster. The heat and jarring should allow it to soak into the threads more. spray a few days on this.

Are you talking about the 14mm recessed hex (allen) plug on the passenger front of the engine? That won't do you any good for a block heater, that's an access hole for pulling piston pins. It's basically open to the crankcase.

If you're talking about the head drains, a socket on a ratchet usually works. Use extensions as needed.

Are you talking about the 14mm recessed hex (allen) plug on the passenger front of the engine? That won't do you any good for a block heater, that's an access hole for pulling piston pins. It's basically open to the crankcase.

If you're talking about the head drains, a socket on a ratchet usually works. Use extensions as needed.

I have 1 car with the heater there, the EA81 rescue wagon. And I saw a car in the junkyard with the block heater same location. that is where they put it.

This is the EA81 I have sitting, awaiting a rebuild. Obviously only one of those is for the wrist pin (one next to crank?), so he's probably asking about the other one. Or I'm wrong and he's asking about something else entirely. :D

P7260101.jpg?t=1248669055

(I wonder if the rest of that yellow crap will melt off when I finally fire it up...)

Ya as bheinen74 stated as he suggested sounds like the way to go.

Also I might add the ej block plug on the bottom of the drivers side near the water pump is the same as the block plug on the ea81 block. I know this cause nearly all the block plugs on the ea81's I have taken out end up getting destroyed slightly in the process.

Ok, I forgot there was a water jacket plug next to it. :rolleyes:

I made a tool by welding a bolt with a 14mm head into a socket about five years ago. It has survived multiple rebuilds, it's just a bit ugly. Craftsman also has individual male hex sockets, but they get a little more expensive in that size.

Harbor Freight has a set that goes up to 17mm for like $12. I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller ones broke easily but 14mm is pretty big so I wouldn't guess that strength would be an issue. I have a set that I've impacted quite a few times with my 650 lb gun and never broke the larger sizes (12, 14, and 17).

GD

Many EA82 A/C set-ups use a long-headed 14mm bolt on the front/bottom part of the bracket, securing the bracket to the block.

I have cut the long 14mm head off of these bolts and then used that in combination with a 6 point 14mm socket to remove the coolant plugs and wrist pin plugs.