Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outack ltd wont start/turn over

Just driving home, stopped at a traffic light and the engine started to run like crap in an instant. Looked at the instrument panel. Check engine light on, abs light on, no RPM on tach, fuel qty dropped to empty, and temp very low. Limped her home, shut it off, and now will not start or even turn over.

Measured battery voltage. 11.87 volts as I was thinking that because it wouldn't turn over bat was low and possibly the alternator had failed, but I really don't know. All engine lights on instrument panel seem to illuminate dimly when trying to engage the starter, but nada happens.

Altenator. Car is due for one.

i got mine from www.1stsubaru.com as it was relativly cheap for a subaru rebuild. I went through three alts from various stores before I got this one.

You can jump start the car, or charge the battery and see what the volt output is with everything on and 1800 rpm, or just take my word :)

May be the battery too depending upon its age.

The battery has discharged for some reason and as others have stated already it is most likely due to a bad alternator but it may be due to other problems. You can either have the alternator checked out in the vehicle or out of it. I recommend you first charge the battery back up using a battery charger so you don't put a lot of stress on the alternator charging the battery back up. Also have the battery checked to see if that is ok. It may be a good idea to replace both the alternator and the battery if they are not in the best of shape. Doing that may save you from another electrical break down.