Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've come across a 1993 Impreza Wagon (91K miles, automatic, $1675). The seller is not reporting anything being wrong with it other than a few minor cosmetic things. Sounds like a great deal, though I'm not big on automatics :P.

What do you guys think, is this worth it if it checks out? Are the Imprezas of that year as good as the Legacys?

Edited by mentis

Main thing you'll want to check for on a used subaru is torque bind (for AWD models).

In terms of reliability the impreza's are actually "better" by a small margin. they got the same engines and transmissions, although impreza's also got the EJ18 which is the same motor as the EJ22 but smaller pistons. it's a beast and will basically outlast the rest of the car if you maintain it properly.

great car, hard to beat for cheap reliability. you could always hold out for a manual trans. a manual trans is certainly more reliable than a 15+ year old automatic. but the auto trans in that car is actually very reliable for an automatic transmission.

if you like something extremely reliable, here's the maintenance you'd want to do:

entire timing kit. all the pulleys are devoid of grease and not all that great by now. ebay kits are only $90 for everything. replace water pump, reseal the oil pump and the cam seals/orings as well.

flush coolant/ATF and change gear oils.

and of course general tune up stuff - air filter, PCV valve, plugs and wires. (stay OEM Subaru with the PCV, plugs, and wires)

No they really aren't. It's lame because I'm having a hell of a time finding a decent one!

I'm going to be getting my old turbo wagon inspected middle of the week, and then I'll know more about whether I'm finally going to retire the old gal... :-\

Here's the thread for that topic if you're curious... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101852

These cars are great. I have a '93 that just turned over 250,000 on the original engine and trans LAST NIGHT. Doesn't burn oil, starts up every time. The only concern you might have is the lack of cargo room. Well, the rear hatch opening is more of a problem than the room itself. It's an awkward shape, not like the gaping cravass of your '87 GL.

Impreza: 64 cubic feet of cargo space

GL: a whopping 74 cubic feet

Do the timing belt, thermostat, radiator hoses, and change fluids and you'll be good to go for a long time.

These cars are great. I have a '93 that just turned over 250,000 on the original engine and trans LAST NIGHT. Doesn't burn oil, starts up every time. The only concern you might have is the lack of cargo room. Well, the rear hatch opening is more of a problem than the room itself. It's an awkward shape, not like the gaping cravass of your '87 GL.

Impreza: 64 cubic feet of cargo space

GL: a whopping 74 cubic feet

Do the timing belt, thermostat, radiator hoses, and change fluids and you'll be good to go for a long time.

LOL... gaping cravass is right! :lol: That's one of the best things about that wagon. I do transport a lot of artwork, which the wagon's been perfect for so that is a concern. However, I don't need much vertical clearance, so it'll probably be ok. I'm sure you get more gas mileage for sacrificing a bit of that metal ^_^.

Also, don't expect much 'git up and go'. The EJ18 w/the 4EAT isn't known for its performance....If you drive a lot of hills, may be a concern.

Otherwise, that's a good deal IMHO.

Something tells me it's going to do a lot better than my current Wagon :D. Even though it's a turbo, it's got very little power in it. Can't remember the stock hp on those, but I know I'm not getting that at all...lol.

For comparison, they're almost equal @ around 110HP for the Impreza and 115HP for the GL Turbo, I believe.

I was always wondering why the GL wagon's turbo only added about 25HP.....and the Legacy 2.2 vs. 2.2 Turbo is only 30HP more.

Sorry, tangent..

Enjoy the Impreza!

Good question. They are rather small turbos though, aren't they? I always assumed that because the turbo was so small it didn't do that much. But I am also pretty sure that I'm lucky if I get 100hp out of my wagon right now. It's lost a bit of umpf over the years ^_^.

Still not sure if I'll end up getting that Impreza though. The seller hasn't been responding to my recent emails, so I don't know what's going on with it.

I had the 93 sedan (Agean Blue) with all the bells and whistles for the time and it was one the first ones delivered to the NW. That was the best car I ever had for reliablility. Five years of ownership and all I did was regular oil changes and gas.

It did take 1-2 or two seconds more to get up to 60 compared to the 2WD cars in its class. The 2.2 engine was a big improvement for HP in 96 but it is a little leaky past 100K (we still have a 96 Impreza wagon).

With that mileage, I would definitely jump on it but do try to knock the price down.

I found another option for a 1993 Legacy Wagon... "Great engine 164,000+ miles, 5 speed manual, needs clutch but drivable" for $700.

Wondering which of these would be a better choice... is it worth getting the clutch done on the Legacy and still saving some money over the Impreza? It is a manual also... but then it's got more miles. Kind of a toss up. I guess it depends on if there's anything else it's going to need, so I'm waiting for a reply on that one now.

I am leaning toward the Legacy at this point, but I'm still keeping the Impreza in mind ^_^. Thank you very much for the input. By "geared low" do you mean that it's set to run at higher rpms in 5th than the Impreza?

I am leaning toward the Legacy at this point, but I'm still keeping the Impreza in mind ^_^. Thank you very much for the input. By "geared low" do you mean that it's set to run at higher rpms in 5th than the Impreza?

Yes the Impreza I think has a 3.90 transmission and the Legacy has a 4.11 tranny.

Thanks for clarifying! I have decided to purchase the Legacy, and put a down payment on it... So unless I get there and it turns out to be crap (which I have no reason to believe will be the case), I will be getting no later than a week from now.

Planning on driving it home with a funky clutch... Wish me luck ^_^!

So I bought the Legacy today ^_^. It's in pretty good shape, got 163K+ on it and runs great. Just needs a new clutch. The guy said that the timing belt had been changed at around 160K... so I hope that's true. Would save me some money.

Some questions about maintenance... on my previous wagon I always used Valvoline Maxlife + 1qt of Marvel. That seemed to work quite well, but I wasn't sure if I should use Marvel on this car? Any thoughts? And what about fuel? Used mid (93) in my turbo wagon, but wasn't sure if I should continue using it in this one...

P.S.: Looks like it came with alloy wheels ^_^...

Congratulations! If it's in decent running shape you got yourself a good car. The EJ22 is a great engine and, fortunately, non-interference.

By "Marvel" I assume you mean Marvel Mystery Oil? It's good stuff for cleaning out oil passages but I would NOT run it regularly. Stick to a good quality motor oil only.

Your engine should run just fine on standard gasoline. Don't waste your money on a higher octane than you need.

Good luck and happy driving. Post us a pic when you can.

Yes, I did mean Marvel Mystery Oil. Many mechanics have recommended it as a regular additive for keeping old cars going long and strong. So like I said, the old turbo wagon seems to like it. But I guess I won't be need it for the Legacy then... So doing V-Maxlife is fine though?

Edit: Oh, and I"m trying to figure out if the wrx DD size stereo can be fit into this? The size of the deck in the legacy seems awfully small, so might take some doing...

I'll take some photos tomorrow, but until then you can see a low-res pic of it from its craigslist ad...

post-4893-13602763483_thumb.jpg

Discussing oil/additives is like discussing politics or religion--everyone has their own opinions and choices!

MMO is a pretty good solvent, it'll loosen up crud in your oil system. But in my mind it can't do that and be a good lubricant, if it can be a lubricant at all.

It has been talked about for years:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36013&highlight=marvel+mystery

Today's approved motor oils are very well engineered for the job they're expected to do. I'm sure Valvoline is an excellent product and will protect your engine just fine. Personally, I use full synthetic and love it.

Sorry, can't help you with the radio/deck.

Hey--looks good in the Craigslist pic!

Alright... here's some better pics ^_^...

th_legacy-1.jpg th_legacy-2.jpg th_legacy-3.jpg

And yes, you're right about oil ^_^. But I don't think I'll be using Marvel in this one. Though might not hurt putting it in on my next oil change just once. Probably could use that cleaning... we'll see. Thank you for the link though, it's pretty informative :D.

Checked the deck, and I guess it's not actually wider as I had originally thought. So it might be pretty easy as long as I can make sense of the wiring :P. So yeah, it's a good car. Only things that could be better is (1) if it were 4WD, (2) if it didn't have that dent in the door, and (3) if it didn't have those stupid automatic seatbelts. Oh well, I guess if I really want I could change all of that, but I don't see myself putting in the 4WD parts :P. Probably will do something about the dent, and maybe change the seatbelts eventually ^_^.

Edited by mentis