Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could someone please clarify a few things for me.

I have one of the Xt's that was built during the 86-87 transition. Mine was built in 09/1986. I have the flapper door maf and 3at transmission, so I am not sure half the time if I should search for info on 86's or 87's. The service manual I found during a search is for 1989 model year, so the basic info is there but its not precise to my car and I would like to verify the following.

1. What should I set my timing at, I think the book has the 1989 at 20 deg.

2. When I removed my motor, I pulled off my torque converter and drained it, when reinstalling the converter do I have to fill it with fluid or will it fill itself when I change the trans fluid and start the car? I should use atf dextron II right?? and I think it was around 7qt.

3. I am also changing my front and rear diff fluid. I have read several threads where people recommend I think it was 75w-90 gear oil? The manual has a range and they also state it should be gl-5. How much oil do I need to purchase to change the oil in both diffs?

Thanks in advance

Grant

The flapper MAF car's are (I think) 15 degree's for timing. Other's will know for sure but I'm pretty sure that's accurate. I know it is for the EA81T's which used basically the same system with a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor.

4WD 3AT's use 6.8 quarts of ATF, front diff is 1.3 quarts of gear oil (it's all GL-5 rated these days - any 75w90 will do). Rear diff is 0.7 quarts.

Someone else will have to answer on the filling of the TC - I don't run auto's (especially not the 3AT :dead:) - and if I have to pull one there's no way it's going back in :rolleyes:

GD

According to the 86 FSM, timing for a SPFI AT is 20deg and if its carbed 8deg.

There should be a label on the hood stating what it should be also.

You should refill the TC before re-installing.

Also when putting the TC on the tranny shaft, make sure it locks in.

Keep turning it and pushing, you will feel it when it does. The mounting tabs should be almost even with the bell housing. Failure to do this will crack the pump during installation of the engine to tranny.

Thank you both very much! lol on the 3at comment. I should just use it as a paperweight and get a manual tranny. On the subject of filling the torque converter, is there a measured amount, or just fill to the top and install? I appreciate the heads up on the tc install, I will make sure I get it all the way in, sounds like that could go wrong and tear some stuff real quick.

Thank you both very much! lol on the 3at comment. I should just use it as a paperweight and get a manual tranny. On the subject of filling the torque converter, is there a measured amount, or just fill to the top and install? I appreciate the heads up on the tc install, I will make sure I get it all the way in, sounds like that could go wrong and tear some stuff real quick.

Just fill it enough that when you stand it up it doesnt drain out.

Once you have everything together, fill the tranny the rest of the way.

According to the 86 FSM, timing for a SPFI AT is 20deg and if its carbed 8deg.

There should be a label on the hood stating what it should be also.

All SPFI systems were hot-wire MAF with optical CAS distributors. Being he has a flapper door, his would be MPFI or Turbo - at any rate along with the flapper door MAF always comes the non-optical distributor (read - mechanical advance) thus the timing setting is different. All I have are EA81 FSM's but my '84 FSM shows 15 degrees for the flapper door MAF EA81T's - I'm assuming it would be similar if not identical for the flapper MAF EA82's.

GD

Being he has a flapper door, his would be MPFI or Turbo - at any rate along with the flapper door MAF always comes the non-optical distributor (read - mechanical advance) thus the timing setting is different. All I have are EA81 FSM's but my '84 FSM shows 15 degrees for the flapper door MAF EA81T's - I'm assuming it would be similar if not identical for the flapper MAF EA82's.

GD

Correct I am talking about the ea82T. I never thought about the sticker under the hood giving me the info..duhhh