Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vehicle Speed Sensor in 99 Legacy...no speedo

Problem is not the speed sensor. Speedometer works off a sensor on the differential. Had the same problem in my 95. My solution was to just swap out the instrument cluster. A new sensor didn't solve anything.

Yes if there is no CEL the senser is fine. Usually in the 99's cleaning up the grounds inside the spedo head solves the issue. If not then you have to replace it. There was a bad run of spedos in that year.

nipper

I have a 99 Legacy outback, and fought this very gremlin a few months ago.

As others have noted, It's probably not a sensor. I was able to convince myself of that fact because (in my case) the speedometer would flicker back to life when I pressed in the trip reset button.

If you search through the thread archives, there are volumes of good advice. Most of the suggestions involve disassembling the dash, and cleaning the contact points on the speedometer - especially the area where the negative terminal on the copper/laminate circuit board meets a particular ground screw. Another good suggestion I ran across was to supplement the grounding by running a wire from the ground screw to the chassis of the vehicle.

Alas, none of the solutions worked in my case. Within a couple weeks, I went to the dealership, bought a new speedometer and the legally mandated sticker for the door frame indicating the car's mileage has been altered. Good luck.

Update,

I swapped out the cluster with one from a 97 GT and the speedo still doesnt work, The cruise works fine, could it be that the 97 Gt cluster isn't compatible with the 99?

I am going to try to tear apart the 99 cluster and clean it as mentioned but shouldnt the 97's cluster be ok?

Thanks

~Tim