Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD on EA?

I don't REALLY want to give up 4WD, but I do most of my driving on sealed roads and most of the rest of my driving on dirt roads so AWD would probably be better overall.

I have available a 5sp D/R AWD transmission. Can I just remove the tail section and throw it on mine? From what I've read it will bolt right up is that right?

How do you know for sure its an AWD transmission and what did it come out of?

If your car is NON-Turbo, and the transmission is from a Turbo'd car... you will need to swap your CV joints with ones that match the tranny.

Other than that... as long as its a manual-to-manual swap its pretty basic and straightforward.

Also make sure the overall ratio of the transmission matches your rear diff.

Ok well let me see here, how should i put this?

If the transmission you got has a TransferCase on it. It is NOT a subaru transmission.

There are no transfercases in our EA's. There is a FWD 5spd Transmission. With a lever that engages a rear output shaft, and on dual range you get an extra low gear as well.

There is no case to replace. The AWD Transmissions are totally different animals. A EA transmission and a EJ transmission are not interchangeable. Your CV joints will not work. Along with your final drive ratio & the fact the bellhousings are completely different as well.

Your best bet for converting to AWD is to go find a RX or a GL10 wagon.

RX from 1987 to 1989 have Dual Range Full-Time 4WD Transmissions (also known now, as AWD).

GL10 Turbo Wagons in 1989 were offered with Single Range Full Time 4WD Transmissions.

Both of these transmissions will directly replace your part time 4WD tranny. And will give you the benefit of AWD. You will also need to replace your CV joints with those of a RX or GL10 Wagon (any turbo EA82 subaru really).

Hope that helps... alittle.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I found this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98796

Which shows that ej internals will go into an ea case, and the ej tail end will bolt on.

I also found this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65321&highlight=frankenstein+transmission

But if possible I'd like to keep it a bit simpler and just do the tail end swap. I've got a big project going already and opening transmissions isn't high on my 'want to do' list.

I'm just not sure if the ea pinion shaft will mate with the ea tail end.

I guess if it comes down to it I could transplant all of the ej internals into the ea case. I think that would work. I'd have to find a 5 speed ea case then, as mine is a 4 speed. Then I'd have to make it fit.