Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the carpet in an '86 GL Hatch

So I've got a nice block of time off from work, and I'm planning to do some serious work on the inside of my '86 hatch. The carpet, quite frankly, is pretty darn gross. It appears that the previous owner spilled several dozen cups of coffee on it, and various other dark-colored things. Ick.

Has anybody replaced their carpet? I know there isn't a molded replacement to be had for these cars, so how many yards of carpeting will I have to buy? Does this number cover all the way from the front to the cargo area, or just up to the back seats?

I'll post some pictures of my progress as I start work.

The major part of it goes from the firewall to right under the back seat. The cargo area is separate.

Before you go out and buy stuff, remove what you have and take it to a car wash.

Pull the insulation off the back and use the high pressure hose to clean the carpet. Let it dry for a few days and then vacuum it.

You might be surprised on how clean it will be.

I agree, unless it has major holes in it, it is amazing how much a good scrubbing and rinse will accomplish. I have had good luck with 'Tuff Stuff' and Blue Coral Upholstery Cleaner. Just hanging the carpet and rinsing it to death with a garden hose and nozzle until the water runs clean can make miracles happen.

Or rent or borrow a carpet steam cleaner. Carpet will come out so clean, sanitized and good-smelling.

If you know someone who has a Bissell upright ProHeat or the little Bissell SpotBot, that would be the way to go as they have the hand tools included to do upholstery/carpet.

If you decide to go the steam clean route just be careful if you are doing carpet that's directly over metal because if you over-saturate the carpet or don't extract all the water back out the metal will start to rust from the moisture that's trapped between it & the carpeting.

i reccomend the pressure washer and a tiny bit of soap, i've done carpet cleaners and they dont do as good.

the soap will suds up and help clean any smells out of it and possibly help if there are any stains. i've used any thing from dish soap to solvent-less degreasers.

dish soap is cheapest, dont use a whole lot either or you'll have a foamy mess

i reccomend the pressure washer and a tiny bit of soap, i've done carpet cleaners and they dont do as good.

the soap will suds up and help clean any smells out of it and possibly help if there are any stains. i've used any thing from dish soap to solvent-less degreasers.

dish soap is cheapest, dont use a whole lot either or you'll have a foamy mess

My Bissell works fantastic! I use it to clean my handmade oriental wool rugs, my upholstered furniture, the cloth seats in my Sube. The steam cleaner is one of the best investments I ever made. And, no suds or sudsy foamy residue ever. I use an enzymatic cleansing liquid in it that gobbles up all biologic material in the fabric (we won't go in to what those might be).

But whatever works in individual cases