Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped where the knock sensor attaches...

'98 2.2 Legacy. I had put the new knock sensor on a week ago, and just not got a torque wrench from Harbor Freight to tighten it further to the correct 16 foot lbs. Well, the cheap torque wrench never clicked, and after a fairly gentle snug, the bolt spun freely because I stripped it. Ugh!!!

So... any ideas on what to do now? Can't use a larger bolt, can I? The knock sensor hole is only so big and doesn't look like I can use a bigger one. I'm angry at myself now, shouldn't got the cheap wrench!

Curse you Harbor Freight, and all of your bewitching cheapy goodness!!! :mad:

Heli Coil it.

BTW I don't use Harbor Freight torque wrenches for anything that matters - only lug buts. Don't mean to pile on. But think about it. A cheap untested torque wrench on aluminum threads that should only go 16 lbs? You're lucky it wasn't something more important.

I believe I've seen posts here about folks who relocate the knock sensor. Perhaps a search would turn it up. Never done it myself.

Come to think of it drilling it with the intake on and in the car will take a long bit. Don't know about access for the heli coil T handle gizmo either. Atleast it's something that only needs 16 lbs and not susceptable to high pressures.

Bummer though. Hate it when quick jobs turn complex.

I moved the one on my EJ22T without issue (and being a turbo, the knock sensor is quite important). I just moved it to an easier to access spot as the stock location is very difficult to get to. Been there for over a year now - no code, no detonation, no problems whatsoever.

Move it and move on.

GD

Where'd you move it to? I'll search for threads on moving the knock sensor, also.

Thanks everyone for the info.

That's the first time I'd bought a tool from them, and I really should've known better!!! Makes ya feel like a drooling idiot when you screw up like that because of saving something like $30. :slobber:

I'm going to relocate it, from what I've read on here. I need to know the best place to relocate it, though. The pics I've seen on here show relocations on differenct engines, not the 2.2 like my '98 Legacy has, auto. Anyone have any ideas?

If its still the same block as the one in my 96 (I don't see why that would have changed, but you never know) there are two good places for it right by the seam of the bell housing. Just find an appropriate sized bolt for the threads and put it in either of those spots.

• Like 1