Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 87' 4x4 EFI TURBO WAGON

I picked this thing up with a bad head gasket... tearing it apart to find a crack on the head right between the valves. I'm having a really hard time finding a head for it and was wondering if you could help. I've googled it and looked on CL in my area and theirs nothing. Does anyone have a head or Know a place i could gt one from... it's a 1.8L turbo EFI in a 4x4 wagon w/ a five speed

in before GD... :grin:

Place a want ad here and haunt eBay; eventually someone will have a nice fresh head or a set of them.

You might also consider swapping in a 2.2 EFI (nonturbo) from a Legacy. You will find much info regarding the merits and required parts for such (and the detriments of the older turbo motors) if you search our Retrofitting forum for EJ22 SWAP.

Good luck!

Let me elaborate.

What they are saying is that these motors while probally ok in there day are now very worn and tired. They blow headgaskets easily and the cooling system is inadequate. It will be most likely a nightmare to try and get the thing to run right. Ive heard horrar stories about people putting 800 bucks or more into a turbo engine only to have it blow headgaskets again in another year. Your best bet for cheap is to swap to the non turbo motor in that catagory. If you want cool then to the ej swap. Granted the wireing isnt the funnest thing but when your done you will have a 2.2 from a legacy that is one of the best motors subaru ever produced. An engine that produces 60 more hp and loads more torque. And you will have a reliable drivetrain to last you a long time. Everything else on these cars is great, just the engine always takes a dump.

Hope this helps.

Ben