Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Subframe/rear assembly

On my 96 impreza SW, the rear sub frame is getting quite crusty. So it looks like I will replace it, but everything bolt /nut wise looks like s bad deal......possible broken nuts , bolts , etc .

Would it be easier just to get an other rear sub frame assembly complete with struts , bearings , springs , control arms , etc.

Or would I be better just to spray penetrating oil on only what needs to be replaced ?

Has anyone done the complete rear swap on a Impreza ?

On a happier note , the transmission works great . New torque convertor ,

happy wife..... because no more tranmission whining..:banana::banana:

I have almost exactly the same problem. Have to remove the rear carriage to repair the fuel tank and since there's rust all over (the rest of the car is not «pristine» but well able to sustain at least three more years of driving), I was tinking of replacing it with a used unit with less rust.

Imdew reply gives me hope but grossgary's might be closer to the sad truth as far as my car in concerned.

Well , Grossgary and Frag , the rest of the car is good. The rear quarters need small patches to repair the previous owners very poor ...lets paint over the rust ....... I am liking what Imdew said .

So I am going to call the salvage yards for complete rear assembly...:):)

Anyone know how many years interchange ? Looked at the car some more , and I figure it would be best to take everything .

Thanks , Folks

That would be a good time to put in a LSD! :banana:

What would I look for on the unit, to make sure it is a LSD ........I like that idea , we get to much snow over this way.....sometimes 1 ft per night for 3 days. So it makes good sense... Thanks......:)

If any one has a picture of what rear end I need that would be great. :banana: