Ultimate Subaru Message Board

push button 4wd vs D/R 4wd

kel

Hey, I just wanted to get some opinions on the virtues of each type of 4wd setup and whether one is better than the other. I plan on using a suby to cruise up the mountain on killer pow days. I have the opportunity to get a wagon w/ push button 4wd, should I hold out for a dual range?

Thanks,

Kel

I've had both, and I prefer the dual range. I like knowing that I can put it in 4hi and drive until I get stuck, and then put it in 4lo and get myself out. It also makes a huge difference if you're climbing. The 1.8 doesn't have a lot of torque, but when you put it in lo range, you can pull stumps (figuratively speaking- you'd probably pull your bumper off).

If you are on semi-plowed roads, the pushbutton 4wd is probably fine. I much prefer the dual range myself, and there is only two or three years (here in the US at least) that had the dual range with fuel injected engines, so they're a little harder to find. Dual range helps alot if you are in deep snow where you are dragging the bottom, or rough dirt roads where you want to go slower, and maintain engine rpm. And on steep stuff like subarian said, it helps alot to maintain power.

You can always swap in a dual range in the loyales with the pushbutton 4wd, so it's not the end of the world even if you get the loyale now and want dual range later.

Z

yeh subarian and zye have it right. if its got 4WD its good! It will get you up the mtn! My buddie had a hatch that was 2wd and it got us up the mtn on some bad days!! (usually had a tools + strap j.i.c,) If its a good deal I'd go for it, or nice. Like subarian said you can always put in the D/R, I am doing a trans on my ea81 hatch right now but not real difficult, though the 82s have alot more hoses to deal with. Good luck whatever you do, most people I have come across with the push button are happy.

The push button is good, i had one in my DL originally.

The Dual range is the greatest. swapped it in a year later and i've never looked back. In mud, deep snow, bigger tires, up hills the dual range trumps the single range, if you want to finesse an obstical, if you don't mind blasting ahead all engines full the push button is fine.

My theory why the D/R is better, there are no electronics to mess up, its all mechanical. when its in, its in, the pushbutton can bork on you.

Read my signature...

The 86 GL, 87 GL and the 2 88's were 5 speed dual range... awesome tranny.

The 2 GL-10's and the 92 and another 86 were push button 4WD... worked, but it was hard to tell when exactly it kicked in. Once it was in though it worked great.

Both brats are dual range... nice to have once you add a lift kit... nothing beats the CLUNK of manually shifting the tranny too... better than clicking a little button hoping that something happens. (Our Kia Sorentos at work have a dial... sometimes it takes like 5 seconds to kick in)