Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rear torsion adjustment

A few questions:

1) Does turning the ride height adjusting pivot bolt in the center have the same effect as clocking the torsion bar within the tube? What's the difference and which is better?

2) Does turning the ride height adjusting pivot bolt stiffen the rear suspension or just adjust ride height?

3) Does clocking the the torsion bar within the tube stiffen the rear suspension or just adjust ride height?

4) Should the ride height adjusting pivot bolt be adjusted alone or in conjunction with clocking the bar within the tube.

I'm not so much after increased ride height as I'm already running one of Scott's 4" lifts. I just want to stiffen the back end up. The longer Rancho's are too soft for me and the 15's I have installed rub like hell on the rear leg of the rear wheel well opening. , even doing light driving or making a typical cornering turn.

the ride height ,and stiffness are adjusted.i mean any time you add pressure to something, it will adjust the stiffness......:)

"clocking" the tube is another animal.you have to take apart the end caps for the torsion bar to clock it.

you will lose some "stuff"(how well your tire goes towards the body)if you clock it.

most folks i know, adjust the bolt all the way up when they lift it.

you do not "have " to adjust it , or clock it together.actually , when you clock it, you usually leave the adjustment down.

if it does not show a significant difference, it may be toast enough to want to add some coil overs.

cheers, brian

Changing the ride height adjuster and changing the "clocking" of the bars are functionally one in the same. The adjustment bolt simple rotates the inner splined connection point that the torsion bar jack's into. You are not changing the spring rate of the torsion bar in either case so neither will make it more/less stiff. To do that you would need a larger/smaller bar or the addition of coil-over's to add additional spring rate.

It's like asking if there is a difference between rotating the steering wheel on the shaft or adjusting it straight with the tie rod ends (ignoring the fact that adjusting the rod ends would change the lock-to-lock ratio for left vs. right). You can do either, or both - a combination of the two will produce just about any ride height you could want.

GD

guys/gals, does tighten the torsion bolt adjuster increase or decrease height, the manual does not say the direction of turning and what it does. Manual should say tighten to ??raise loosen to lower???? tighten to lower???loosen to raise???

and it says nothing on direction, i have looked.

My Bentley manual says "To raise the rear ride height, turn the adjusting nut clockwise. To lower the rear ride height, turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise". Naturally this is as viewed looking down on the top of the adjusting nut.

My Bentley manual says "To raise the rear ride height, turn the adjusting nut clockwise. To lower the rear ride height, turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise". Naturally this is as viewed looking down on the top of the adjusting nut.

This is correct