Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best car to lift

The Scooby

what car would you guys recomend that i find to lift.

right now i have a 1986 GL wagon, 5sp EA82 and it has dual range, should i build a lift for it, or

should i pick up another car, like i said in my other post i can get a 80 brat for like $100, but would it be better to get another car, i would rather have a brat to lift then anything else, i would prefer it has a EA81 or EA82 engine, 5sp and dual range.

so what would you guys recomend, i have to build it myself or have someone help me build it since i am broke, i can get steel for free, what combo, like lift height and tire size.

i can cut fenders, no problem there, i just dont want to do the devorced t-case only because i dont have the cash to do so.

so if anyone can give me ideas or parts please help me out.

Thanks,

Shean

the 1980 brat has a ea71 motor in it. not to mention the clutch''s really suck with bigger tires and you get a lot of lag. trust me i would know. i ran an ea71 for a few years in little roo.

as for best car that depends... a gen 2 brat is a good starting point. also a ea81 hatchback is good too. depends on how high you are going for how long of a vehicle you'd want. wagons are real nice in my opinion. especially for the height i have my car now.

ea82 wagons are a good start too. if you are not using a divorced tcase. i suggest 27" or smaller tires. on pugs or chevy/yota rims.as for the rest it's really up to you. i'd also suggest if you are doing the pk lift/ ozified do the 4/3" lift with the ea81's and do a 5 speed d/r conversion.

Late 80's EA81 Hatch that's already a 4 speed 4WD. These have better departure angles, and the shortest wheel base of any of the EA81 series cars. Haveing almost no sheet metal behind the rear wheel is nice for deparure angle. The covered cargo is also nice...

Second best, or possibly just as good, and a bit cooler, is a Gen 2 brat that's been bobbed - same deal here with the departure angle.

Lift it, put in either an 81/82 4 speed D/R, or a 5 spd D/R, and drive it like you stole it.....

Parts are plentiful, and the cars are very capable off-road when properly outfitted. Won't take much investent besides lift and tires to get going off-roading. Makeing it streetable with the big tires requires the 81/82 4 speed, or the 5 speed, but those are direct bolt-ups.

GD

hows this sounds, 1984 subaru brat or hatch, 6inch lift, 27's on stock yota rims, beefed up EA81 w/ d/r 5sp, rear LSD.

now if i did this can i just use some 2inch by 6inch tube steel and cut it into 2 inch long blocks, then pull up the body and put them under? or what would be the easist way/CHEAPEST way to lift it, but it still has to be reliable.

it will have to last a long time, maily doing trail rides, mud pits, and desert since im moving to arizona. which is where i will be doing most of my wheeling. dunes, mud pits, trail. thats really it, nothing really too big. just easy fun crap.

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Late 80's EA81 Hatch that's already a 4 speed 4WD. These have better departure angles, and the shortest wheel base of any of the EA81 series cars. Haveing almost no sheet metal behind the rear wheel is nice for deparure angle. The covered cargo is also nice...

Second best, or possibly just as good, and a bit cooler, is a Gen 2 brat that's been bobbed - same deal here with the departure angle.

Lift it, put in either an 81/82 4 speed D/R, or a 5 spd D/R, and drive it like you stole it.....

Parts are plentiful, and the cars are very capable off-road when properly outfitted. Won't take much investent besides lift and tires to get going off-roading. Makeing it streetable with the big tires requires the 81/82 4 speed, or the 5 speed, but those are direct bolt-ups.

GD

what years are the gen II brats? 82-85?? just so i know waht to look for.

since i jsut got back from phoenix all i saw was lifted trucks, i want to stand out like a sore thumb with a mini truck i guess you could call it. :D

It's not just the lift blocks - there's the strut towers, and the steering linkage to think about too. Plus with 6", some reinforcing is generally put between the blocks....

With 6" you'll want to be running 31's. I'm running 28's with 3"......

Otherwise - sounds good. Try to get like an 88 or 89 if you get a hatch.... newer is always better. And 85+ will have the hydro engines.

GD

mud pits? arizona? wow i want to know where. maybe cause i'm in the god forsaken desert i see no mud. rocks are bountiful around arizona, don't forget those. those are the funnest things to play on in az.

if you really want to stand out get a hatch and lift it. you'll get noticed more. a little truck gets passed as another truck while a hatch or wagon is more of a wow!!!

but as for lifting it that high you have to brace all of it!!

if you are wheeling in az. i strongly suggest against the 31's without a dual tcase. cause you'll fry your clutch and break lots of suspension parts in the dunes. even with 27's in the dunes i broke the suspension from time to time. and 31's in a rock infested area is not cool!! unless you like to fly across rocks and break lots of stuff. 27 and 28's are almost too big for the gearing. been there done that, aint doing it again

ok so 82-87 brat, 80-89 hatch, or EA82 wagon.

how hard was the 3inch lift, do you rub, plus what kind of off-roadin do you do.

rooinater, well i might be gettin an apartment in glendale, and the landlord, she has a lifted explorer and goes every weekend, and i told her i wanted to lift a subaru, and she invited me to go with them, that is if i get an apartment there, sweet place.

if i do go ill get your number and give you a call.

i think a 3inch lift and 28's tops would be good enough for waht i want now that i think about it, im not going to be doing hardcore stuff, just crusing around town mainly, and maybe some backroad playing, and rainseason, playing like a mo-fo.

so then if someone can layout what all i got to do with a 3inch lift, i can get 2X4 steel like nothin, so i will probally go another inch just for cleanrance with 28's.

i know 4inch blocks, extend steering shaft, brake hoses, extend down strut and shock locations, what else, and how much do you think it will cost total to do so, without cost of steel, i got like 60ft of it.

again, thanks guys.

Shean

PK? is that PKDavis or something of that sorts on the message board?

can you get me their contact info so i can talk with them. but like i said, im broke and wont have cash to spend anytime soon, thats the problem, i need to make $2000 to move to phoenix july 30th, thats when i leave. and i have no job, so i have to build it myself really. unless someone who has done it wants to come and aid me.

Shean

check the pricing, there is no way in heck i can afford that, unless i sell my truck, there is no way.

im talkin with people now on what i need to do to build a lift and install it. roo, do you have a welder? i got one at school but i dont know of my teacher will alloy me to have my car there for the rest of the school year while i build/install it, he is usually cool, but i dunno on a project like this.

Shean

Any 80's subie has its ups and downs, its all a matter of preference to body style and EA-81 or EA82. as far as a lift, if you can't afford the lift the tires will be out of your price range too, i paid 355 for the lift and about 600 for just the tires, the wheels were about 125, for a set of good peugeot's. you can build it up in stages, get the lift now and wait for the tires. i had the lift on for half a year before i got the bigger tires on. I'm going to endorse PKDavis as well, its dirt cheap for a lift that size and it has all the kinks worked out, easiest lift to install period.

cheif tim, ya i know about waiting, right now i and just brosing for a car and starting to degisn the other stuff and check pricing. and yes im gonna wait until ive got that 2k saved up before i do anything.

NoahDL88, i cna get toyota rims and tires for like $50, brand new tires, te rims will fit, seen then on many subaru's, and the wires are like 27s, BFG's i think.

shean

Shean, where in Glendale are you moving? I live in Phoenix. I work at a large car dealership here and may be able to get you a job...let me know...I also know some jeepers who know lots of trails and what not. Im looking to lift my wagon, if you lift yours before me let me know how it goes...

eric

nutt7, its on like 67th ave N and like a half block north of olive, i cant remember the name of the place yet, but its not final, i am going to UTI, and would need a job, thanks for the offering, i leave seattle july 30th and will arrive in arizona auguest 2nd, so i will need a job starting as soon as i can get one.

i dont think im lifting my wagon, im trying to find another hatch or brat to lift, but will settle for a gutted wagon.