Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more lift

subimonster

i have a 1995 legacy that i have lifted 3 inches with just struts. it has 28 inch super swamper tsls on it but i want to go a big as i can, preferably 35 inch tires. i am wondering if anyone can help me out in figuring out how to acheive the proper lift. please let me know if you know anything.

You're gonna need either King Springs, or Scorpion springs with those outback

struts you've got.

But unfortunately one of the aforementioned companies is no longer in business...

I just don't remember which :confused:

And you'll need some negative offset wheels so that you don't hit the strut tops.

I'm not sure how far you need to go outward, but its a pretty good amount.

Twitch

I would say if you are looking at 35" tires seriously your gonna need at least 6+ inches of lift.

Lift is not gonna be your only issue running tires that big.

Subafreak is running 33's on his legacy and I am sure he is lifted more than 6" Plus he has an xtra xfer case and such to go with it.

I am gonna be running 35's on mine with a custom built suspension, but to get good travel i would say my "lift" we be in the 15"-20" range, maybe more.

Some of the brat, and ea guys are running 33's as well with 6-10" of lift.

Search around a bit. It's not gonna be easy but it is do able.

i would be goo with 33's to be honest. it just needs to be bigger. i wheel the piss out of this car and beating jeeps and fullsize trucks is fun but 29's just arnt big enough. i am planing on going to a gl transmission with the high low 4x4 to compensate for bigger tires. right now it is an automatic car. any more advise you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

You won't be able to clear any bigger than a 30" unless you make some modifictions to the struts, and use a wider offset wheel. Also anything larger than 30" you will need to doo some SERIOUS bashing and cutting to get the tires to not rub or stuff into the rear wheel wells.

But with a 3" or 4" lift you will have no problem clearing that size tire and will be great for wheelin.

I have lift 3" and 4" kits for your car ready to ship. PM me for details

i am aware ther will be seriouse mods involved and i dont intend on keeping the outback struts. i will try to put up pics if i can get any on here of what i have done.

What do you mean?

The outback struts are actually a lot better than the stock lego struts.

They have a higher strut top and have more travel.

Just adding a lift your car and wider offset wheels would probably fix most of

your clearance problems...

And as for cutting and bashing fenders, its done on here all the time without

any major detriments to the car.

Twitch

i think if you wanna put all that work into that car.... might as well buy a $300 dollar beater car with the low range tranny, lift it, and swap your lego engine into it.... lighter, better approach angles, easier to work on/modify....

the BG that I saw at Sno*Drift had 31s on it with 8" of lift and stock struts/springs and some cutting/bashing (needed more). you would definitely need 10-12" or so for 35s.

it will have to be pretty much completely custom. you'll need to space the hub down away from the strut, to do this you'll need to put the bottom bolt on the strut through the top hole on the knuckle, and then put some lengths of 1/4" steel along the outsides with 3 holes in them to reinforce the whole assembly. And then finish it off with some ~1.5" wheel spacers, as that strut isn't going to fit inside the rim anymore.

search this section for my thread entitled "BG on 31s" for some pretty detailed pictures of it.

thank you guys for the info. i really just built the car because i wanted something different then everyone ealces slammed subarus. as for buying a cheap low range car i want to do the work to this car beacuse it is still the only 95 sedan i have seen lifted and i like that. i will try to hook up with someone on a lift kit and go with 33's because i already have some. again thank you.