Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake bleeding fiasco.

So part of the reason I failed inspection is because of a mooshy brake pedal.

So I went to bleed them, looks pretty easy. I doused the bleeder screws for about half an hour in PB blaster, one of the rear ones (drum) went nice, the other the bleeder snapped off :mad: But whatever, I'll just do a disk swap (bratman is selling me the bits).

The bit that really annoys me is that the front left one was really rusty and my socket just rounded the head off. The bleeder screw is still in there though, how should I proceed? Obviously I'll need a new bleeder screw, but how should I get the old one out without damaging anything any worse?

I think the situation can be salvaged if I do the right thing.

thanks.

good quality Vise Grip, maxed to the highest pressure force it will go. Do not use cheapy off brand vise grip, you want the real deal here. Spray some more pb blaster, clamp that sucker on, and hope it will grip to loosen it.
I was wicked tempted to use vice grips, but figured I'd hold off until I got some advise. Thanks. I'll go out and see what happens ... I have a very nice pair of grippy vice grips. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the advise. I'll be sure to use a closed end wrench in the future. I didn't have any small enough, so I just used a socket. I'll go buy one.

I got it with the vice grips! Kinda squashed the crap out of the bleeder screw, but whatever, it'll come out. Napa is ordering two for me, so I'll just replace both in the front tomorrow when I get the parts.

When I pull the bleeder screw all the way out, what's going to happen? ... I'm not going to have a torrent of brake fluid, am I?

when you unscrew it, you need to cap it off with a rubber or plastic plug of some sort ASAP. Moisture and brake fluid mixing is not good, need to keep it sealed from the moisture in the air, fluid will dribble out but the cap will stop it..

Why cap it? why not just immediately screw the new one back in?

it said you were waiting til tomorrow for the napa ordered ones to come in.

why of course, put the new one in when you take out the old.

Cool, I should have mentioned that I didn't actually take the bleeder out, I just got it to turn. So I assumed that since it turned 2 turns it would come all the way out, so I screwed it back in.