Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Stereo Install Question/Installation "Build"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiberglassforums.com. You've got the patience and attention to detail, now it's time to get some glass going and work over the mr2! There are a couple of MR2 builds on there.

I will have to check it out. Fiberglass is on my list of things to try/do :) We shall see how that goes. Thanks for the link to the site, I will check it out in a bit.

I made some more progress :) I got one of the pieces of wood put down, and the amp screwed to it. I also installed a relay and a fan as well :)

Here's some pics…

Here's the wood I found for $0.51 :banana:

Amp%20Fan%20Install4.JPG

Amp%20Fan%20Install5.JPG

Here's it installed for now.

Amp%20Fan%20Install1.JPG

Here's a pic of the fan and the relay.

Amp%20Fan%20Install2.JPG

Here is my sub fitting in there all nice and neat.

Amp%20Fan%20Install3.JPG

So I used butt connectors for now just to make sure that it all works, and when I button it all up with two amps and paint it and all that jazz I will solder all the connections. But for now, it's looking cleaner and better every day! :)

I might be getting some new toys here tonight… we shall see :D

So the craigslists gods have shined down on me, and I picked up these beauties today for CHEAP!!! I couldn't resist pickin'em up!

New%20Amps1.JPG

I got a Phoenix Gold XS2500 that looks like new! It's used but it works!!

New%20Amps2.JPG

This is probably going to be my wifes eventually, but for now it's going to power my 8" solobaric!

Then I got a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4 that works as well! This will be going into the wife's car for sure.

New%20Amps3.JPG

So I was able to run up to Seattle and pick both of these amps up tonight, and I still made it back in time to go to work. Gotta love craigslist! I got them from two different sellers, but got'em both for super cheap! I can't wait to install the XS2500 into my subie!

Edited by eulogious

So I got the rest of the amp rack made and fitted in, and I mounted the XS2500, but I didn't wire it in, I am too tired right now for that. That will come tonight/tomorrow :)

Pics!!

I didn't think I would see this pretty sight for a few months! Thanks craigslist!! I am by no means done with this, this is just the rough test fit before I button it all down, so keep that in mind. But it is starting to come together like I imagined it would, and I like it alot :banana:

XS2500a.JPG

XS2500b.JPG

XS2500c.JPG

XS2500d.JPG

So ya. It's coming together for sure! I got some more silver 4awg, and I still have some blue, so it will match. I also picked up 140 feet of 16awg speaker wire brand new for CHEAP as well!! I am just coming across deals left and right yo! It's friggin' christmas in May for me!! Now it's bedtime...

looks professional:)

i cant wait to see it all done.

i have fancy ideas for the amp base:grin:

ill be adding this once the funds come in

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19675_Soundstream_SCELL-1000.aspx

so i can run a cheaper alt. still push 100+ amps but cheaper than $250

Thanks man!

If you are really considering getting one of those bad boys, you should look into batcaps.

http://www.batcap.net/Products/BatCapProductLine/tabid/58/Default.aspx

They are what made me go out and look at SLA batteries. They are smaller and pack quite a punch, so it might work out better. You can find them on the Bay for about $175. For the price though, I am still going to go with a small SLA battery. Should work almost the same and cost only $40, much cheaper.

One thing is for sure though, if you get one of those, that should really help your problem out!

What do you have planned for you install?

I have run the wires for my 6x9's to my amp, so now I need to wire in another small fan that I picked up, and then wire up my new amp! With this setup I will be running 75x4 RMS to each corner of my car, and then 500x1 RMS to my sub :grin: I think that should be plenty loud for me! That and I still haven't lost any room in my car!!

The XS works!! :banana:

I haven't really had a change to play with adjusting it too much, so I will tonight in my works parking garage :D I should be able to make it as loud as I want and not disturb anyone, I will fiddle around with it then.

I will say this, wow. I really like this XS. Once I figured out that I was adjusting the bass boost instead of the gains, it sounds much better. Man, it gets LOUD with 75 watts RMS going to the inside speakers and 500 wats RMS going to the sub! It's been so long since I sold by Saturn that had basically this same setup in it. Man, it's good to have good tunes again!

Pics (Cell Phone)!!!

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

It needs to be cleaned up, but it all works. I will tidy it up here in the next little bit, but for now, I will enjoy my new amps!

So I made some more progress! After a shipping mix up I got all my install pretty stuff in, and I got around to installing some of it :rolleyes:

Pics!

Here's my new 300amp circuit breaker. I used heat shrink along with some dielectric grease to help prevent moisture from getting into any of my connections:

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

Here's my new ring terminal. Much better to work with :grin:

IMG_0721.JPG

Here's my new ground cable that I will run from the battery to the trans(engine). I was going to use some of this ground for my cap, but I didn't read the auction and thought I was getting silver, not smoke. But it worked out because this amout of ground wire was the exact amount I needed, so it's ok. I just have to go get a foot of 0awg silver and that stuff ain't cheap :-\

I think there is only one ground going from the battery to the chasis/engine in the car. Can someone confirm this? I looked around and didn't see anything else...

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

Here's my battery terminal with my new 0awg ground wire. It looks good, but it's cheap :mad: The screw to tighten it to the battery post is now stripped, so I will have to remove the allen screw that's in there and replace it with something better. Annoying as hell. At least I don't plan on removing the battery anytime soon :-\

IMG_0723.JPG

Here's it all done...

IMG_0725.JPG

I also decided to swap the locations of my amps. I am getting a PG ti400.2 in a trade for some other stuff to replace my xs2500, so the 400.2 needs more space on the top of it because it has a fan, so I just swapped the amps location.

Here's what it looked like before:

XS2500d.JPG

And now:

IMG_0727.JPG

The manual says the the 400.2 needs about an 1" clearance for proper ventilation, so it now should have it :)

That does it for now. This weekend I am picking up my 400.2 and I will be installing that in place of the xs. I am in the process of a trade for my xs, so I might be getting a new sub/box here alot sooner than I thought I would, but I still have to wait to see if that deal is going to go through or not. We shall see, hopefully I will get lucky!

I have seriously gotten lucky and been able to trade stuff to make most of this install happen, or else it probably wouldn't have happened at all right now. Man I love forums! Hopefully my luck doesn't run out!

Edited by eulogious

So I made some more progress! After a shipping mix up I got all my install pretty stuff in, and I got around to installing some of it :rolleyes:

Pics!

Here's my new 300amp circuit breaker. I used heat shrink along with some dielectric grease to help prevent moisture from getting into any of my connections:

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

Here's my new ring terminal. Much better to work with :grin:

IMG_0721.JPG

Here's my new ground cable that I will run from the battery to the trans(engine). I was going to use some of this ground for my cap, but I didn't read the auction and thought I was getting silver, not smoke. But it worked out because this amout of ground wire was the exact amount I needed, so it's ok. I just have to go get a foot of 0awg silver and that stuff ain't cheap :-\

I think there is only one ground going from the battery to the chasis/engine in the car. Can someone confirm this? I looked around and didn't see anything else...

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

Here's my battery terminal with my new 0awg ground wire. It looks good, but it's cheap :mad: The screw to tighten it to the battery post is now stripped, so I will have to remove the allen screw that's in there and replace it with something better. Annoying as hell. At least I don't plan on removing the battery anytime soon :-\

IMG_0723.JPG

Here's it all done...

IMG_0725.JPG

I also decided to swap the locations of my amps. I am getting a PG ti400.2 in a trade for some other stuff to replace my xs2500, so the 400.2 needs more space on the top of it because it has a fan, so I just swapped the amps location.

Here's what it looked like before:

XS2500d.JPG

And now:

IMG_0727.JPG

The manual says the the 400.2 needs about an 1" clearance for proper ventilation, so it now should have it :)

That does it for now. This weekend I am picking up my 400.2 and I will be installing that in place of the xs. I am in the process of a trade for my xs, so I might be getting a new sub/box here alot sooner than I thought I would, but I still have to wait to see if that deal is going to go through or not. We shall see, hopefully I will get lucky!

I have seriously gotten lucky and been able to trade stuff to make most of this install happen, or else it probably wouldn't have happened at all right now. Man I love forums! Hopefully my luck doesn't run out!

Lookin good man. also great to hear you are getting deals on all that stuff. cuz if you werent... that be some mad money!

Lookin good man. also great to hear you are getting deals on all that stuff. cuz if you werent... that be some mad money!

Ya tell me about it! I have spent lots of time looking at where to get stuff, and what to buy to get the best bang for your buck. When I first went to get an estimate on how much my install stuff to finish it off to look nice was going to cost me, it was like $130 :eek: and there was no way that was happening any time soon. But after spending about 3 hours searching the internet and ebay I got it down to less than $50 with shipping :grin: Big savings.

And my timing has been impeccable when it comes to trades. I picked up my sub amp because it was cheap and good, and then someone posted on my car audio forums that they wanted the same type of old skool amp to redo an old demo vehicle and was willing to pay good money/trade for my cheap amp! So I got a $250 sub out of the deal :grin: Just perfect timing. And then literally hours before that went down, I sealed a deal for a better sub amp buy trading off some dynamat stuff that I had kicking around for years in my garage and wasn't going to be using for several more years to come. So I am getting almost $450 worth of gear for old amps and things I had kicking around. Just freakin' sweet deals :grin:

Here's a pic of the amp I am picking up. I am super stoked about it. It's super nice and will look really good in the back, especially after I paint the compartment black :slobber:

DSC02349.jpg

I can't wait to get it!

Ok, so it looks like my deal is going through and I will be getting a punch P3d212 sub! Seen here: Linky

I have never had anything fosgate, so this will be my first fosgate product. From the reviews I have read, this is a pretty decent sub. Anyone used/have/heard any of the Punch P3 subs? It's a shot in the dark, but just thought I would ask...

Here's the box that I came up with to fit in the back of my car, but still have enough room for everything I have back there:

Punch%20Box%20Demensions%205-21-10.jpg

I will probably start buying stuff for the box next week once I get paid. So I won't be able to throw this bad boy in for a couple weeks. That and it's going to take a few days for the sub to get shipped to me, so ya.

I think I will like the combo of a ti400.2 and a Punch 12" P3. Should be a decent upgrade in SQ (Sound Quality vs SPL aka Sound Pressure Level or loudness) anyways, and that's what I am really looking for :) This should be good!

id steer clear from the p3 they do hit hard but not for long. they blow fast which is odd..

if ur set on the p3 go here Linky

ill be going with these soon.. and in my opinion its the best bang for ur buck linky

:)

How you been man? I still owe you some moneys, mmm. I should take of that Monday…

These aren't my first choice, and I am getting it for a trade (SUPER cheap for me, less than 1/2 of what they are charging in that link :)) and if I really don't like it, I will just give it to the wife :lol: She won't notice or care about the sub, just that there is bass :)

I am only going to be running 400watts RMS to it @4ohms, so it should be ok for at least a few years, I would hope anyways. Either way it will be better than my 8" for sure. My 8 is a good sub, but it's an 8 :rolleyes: It belongs in the MR2 anyways…

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind when I go to get another sub :)

well if i woulda known you were trading:rolleyes:

its not a bad sub you just cant push them yanno my buddy maxes his rms and its whining now:confused: ive had a p2 and p3. i loved em. if it wouldn't have been for the over sized ported box i prolly would have done some "sound searching" with the volume dial and blown it cause they do not hit in big sealed boxed very well. your better at this than i am. im just listing life experiences

well if i woulda known you were trading:rolleyes:

its not a bad sub you just cant push them yanno my buddy maxes his rms and its whining now:confused: ive had a p2 and p3. i loved em. if it wouldn't have been for the over sized ported box i prolly would have done some "sound searching" with the volume dial and blown it cause they do not hit in big sealed boxed very well. your better at this than i am. im just listing life experiences

That's good info man, and the type of info I was looking for. Like I said, I have never owned anything fosgate before, so this will be my first. So having some idea on what to expect out of these subs is good :) I am not going to be pushing it very hard, so hopefully it will last :-\ But for the price I paid, whateva, I can't complaing too much ;)

Got the ti400.2 installed, and wow, what a difference in sound quality! That and it's a powerful amp, especially at 2ohms. No problems pushing my s8l7 :) It's rated at 400x1 @4ohms, but is 2ohm stable, and is pushing 500x1 @2ohm no problem at all! In fact I had it up to about 600watts RMS without distortion!! Too much for my sub, but it was good to hear it could do it :grin: So far this amp has brought out notes that I did not hear before, even with my other amp. I am super impressed with the SQ out of this amp. I love it!

This was to see if what it sounded like and before I cleaned it up :rolleyes:

IMG_0735.JPG

I had to rewire and switch the amps yet again because my stupid RCA's didn't reach. PITA. So I now have some new RCA's that I am going to run, but that is not going to happen for a while, so this will work fine. It actually worked out ok since it allowed me to actually secure by distro/fuse block. I also removed the metal lid to allow for better air flow. I cut a piece of my 1/4 mdf to put over my tantrum so I can put things on it for now. This also helps direct the air flow of the fan, so that was a good bonus. Luckily I have a cargo pull cover that I use at all times along with dark tinted windows, so no one can see my nice amp setting there. That was about the only benefit of the metal cover was that everything was completely hidden. Oh well, no loss to me really. I cleaned up the wires a bit as well.

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

So far I likey alot :D

I get paid today, so I am going to go buy the supplies to build my new sub box to have them around so I can start building it and have it ready for when the sub actually shows up.

I think I might pick up some flat black spray paint too. That will really make it look a lot nicer. This should be good times :)

Edited by eulogious

So I made some progress today. I installed some more of my "pretty" stuff, and finally gounded my cap! YAY! So ya...

PICS!

I replaced my battery terminals with something that I think is quality stuff :D

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

Here's my cap finally grounded and working!

IMG_0742.JPG

I was able to make a plastic cover to cover up the exposed top of my cap, so now I don't have to worry about something falling on it in the back and bad things happening. So that's good. I also used a PG ground block for the cap as well, but I didn't take pictures of it :( Here's a pic of all my install stuff I picked up in my travels :D The ground block is in this pick:

DSCF0053.jpg

This weekends project is to build the box for my new 12. My speaker terminal should be here by Tuesday, and same with the sub, so I will be able to hopefully get the new 12 in my car by early next week!

Don't you just love it things start to look all purdy :D

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

I took the time to paint it today, and what a difference it made!! I looks way better :D It took almost 2 cans of spray paint, but luckily Lowes had it on sale for $0.99, so for 2 bucks, you can't beat that!

Here's shot of my painting progress and what it looked like before I painted it. This was after wiping it down with rubbing alcohol, and then taping it off.

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

I hit the bottom of the compartment just for good measure. Since the paint was only a buck, oh really cares!

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

It was all worth it to see this :)

IMG_0756.JPG

I think it was a good transformation :lol:

It's been a good day, and my install is starting to look alot better. I also just found out that I will be able to get all my wood cut for my box tomorrow using my buddies table saw, so that will help out bunches. So this weekend the new sub box is being built!

I'm not having much luck finding this stuff on line, but what you need is a heavy screen to cover your amps. Some places like Home Depot and Lowes carry door screens that can be ornamental, all you need to do is paint it. That way its hidden, protected and can still be vented.

I'm not having much luck finding this stuff on line, but what you need is a heavy screen to cover your amps. Some places like Home Depot and Lowes carry door screens that can be ornamental, all you need to do is paint it. That way its hidden, protected and can still be vented.

Something like this -> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=262-884

Mike

Right now I have it setup like this:

DSCF0060.jpg

So the ti amp is uncovered for air flow. I was thinking about getting some plexy and putting that there until...

That stuff is fantastic! I like the 6mm cutout flat version of that. It's a big sheet, but the flat version you can cut to any size you need. My compartment is 11.5"x37" and since they sell it by the pair, it will work great! It's a little expensive, but it will be good.

For added strength, which I will need on the right side becsause I always have stuff their, I can just paint that piece of MDF black, and put the grill over it and it will still look good! My tantrum amp (the black one) doesn't need airflow directly above it like my ti, so having a solid piece of wood over actually helps because it directs the air over the amp, instead of up and out. I really like that stuff and I think it will make it "pop" for sure and still have airflow :) Thanks for that link mang!

Edited by eulogious

If you check out the site a little more there are other variants of the same thing and in smaller pieces which might be a little easier on the wallet.. I have been a long time shopper of PE and have great success with several projects since I am a stereo junkie. I am by no means an expert but I am pretty good .. You seem to have a talent for making it look very clean which is my weakest point aside from troubleshooting.

Keep up the good work and pics.

Mike

If you check out the site a little more there are other variants of the same thing and in smaller pieces which might be a little easier on the wallet.. I have been a long time shopper of PE and have great success with several projects since I am a stereo junkie. I am by no means an expert but I am pretty good .. You seem to have a talent for making it look very clean which is my weakest point aside from troubleshooting.

Keep up the good work and pics.

Mike

Thanks man! This whole project has taken time to make it look nice, but I really don't mind. I am at the point in my life where I think doing it right, no matter how long it takes, will always be better. So far it's paying off! It's cool to see an idea really come together. It's starting to look exactly like it did in my head and what I wanted when I first started this whole thing, and that makes me happy :)

I like parts express alot. I have spent some time on their website, and they got a lot of stuff! I don't mind the price, the other size have a 1" lip on them, which makes it harder to cut, so that's why the bigger piece are better. I am going to to two sections anyways, it will just be easier to deal with in two pieces, so it's fine with me. I don't mind paying for quality things that makes it look awesome!

Got the box screwed and glued together! :banana:

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

With the help of my stepdad, we managed to get the box together. The box fit together perfectly as well. I accidentally snapped the drill bit for the counter sink in the hole while drilling, so that was a pain to figure out :-\ But we managed to work it out. The glue also got running while trying to find a new bit, but whatever. I test fit it in my car as well, and it fits perfectly! This is by far the best box I have built. The cuts were great, straight, and right on the money. It nice to finally have it all workout nicely, instead of the home depot monkeys cutting stuff an eight to a quarter inch off in places :rolleyes: Much better to just do it yourself :)

So now I just have to wait for the damn sub to show up, hopefully Tuesday!

Edited by eulogious