Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only issue I had with mine was on fitment.

You'll notice more "rumble" to the exhaust due to the unequal length design of these headers. On paper they'll net you lower HP numbers than a set of similarly sized equal length headers.

I managed to net an increase in my gas mileage after installing the headers and the sound is good so I'm happy!

Well thats just the thing, the more unequal you get the less power you are getting (Supposly) now if you went with nice equal headers sure - it'll sound like a Honda but I guess your supposed to have more power. I dunno, we'll see. Specs are for techs, feeling it is for me. :grin:

I managed to net an increase in my gas mileage after installing the headers and the sound is good so I'm happy!
Can you elaborate on mileage? How sure are you in the mileage increase and what type of driving - mostly daily driving or highway? I'm curious because that's why I would buy them. Thanks for the feedback.

Can you elaborate on mileage? How sure are you in the mileage increase and what type of driving - mostly daily driving or highway? I'm curious because that's why I would buy them. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm OCD... I've got receipts from every gas fill since I bought the car. All charted out in an Excel spreadsheet. Prior to the installation of the headers I was averaging 230 miles on 3/4 of a tank. After installing the headers I got a consistant 270+ miles on 3/4 of a tank. I haven't entered those receipts into my spreadsheet yet to find the exact MPG for those two tanks since the install but I suspect it'll be in the 27-28mpg range vs 25-26mpg before install.

since where on the performance topic...what would be a good streetable cam for the ej22 n/a

Tom's correct. Delta regrinds cams for the EJ's look them up online and get in touch with them. DELTA CAMS

(Seller was DNAMotoring)

All of his ads show the headers fitting a WRX/STI and a 2.5RS. They make my head hurt:)

I take it you bought one where the picture looked like it was for a non-turbo? I think that for $140 I'll spring for one as well.

Thanks.

Jacob

All of his ads show the headers fitting a WRX/STI and a 2.5RS. They make my head hurt:)

I take it you bought one where the picture looked like it was for a non-turbo? I think that for $140 I'll spring for one as well.

Thanks.

Jacob

Yea, just make sure its for a N/A EJ25 (2.5RS) and you'll be goos to go.

I will chime in however I'm late...

i brought the speedy racer headers from ebay for my 95 Legacy they fit fine and I did not have to do any pulling or bending.

I never got any CEL code from the headers and they have been on for a good 7 months now.

No cracking... I upgraded from the stock 95 exhaust to a stock 2.5GT borla a little more rumble but still not loud enough for me so I will be offloading it soon.

*edit*

DO NOT USE THE HEADER GASKETS THAT COME WITH IT!!!

Trust me on this.. I cheeped out because i forgot to pick some up on the way home.. the gasket lasted not longer then about an hour...

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Let me know how are they only thing fel-pro I have now waiting to be installed is the rear main seal.

I have Fel-pro cam seals on the EA82 and haven't failed yet. Fel-pro is worth it, My dad has always used them on the V8s back in the day and he never had an issue.

Plus these are just manifold gaskets (Not a real big deal)

Let me know how are they only thing fel-pro I have now waiting to be installed is the rear main seal.
Subaru exhaust manifold gaskets are excellent quality, they can often be reused.

For exhaust manifolds the fel pro's are fine. There are a handful of fel-pro seal issues with those leaking. I have a fel-pro or Corteco exhaust gaskets I'm getting ready to put on my XT6 and they're very high quality - look very similar to the Subaru stuff.

One gasket that's best to use from Subaru is the older gen intake manifold gaskets, the fel-pro's suck for those, as do most aftermarkets for that one.

Edited by grossgary

The thing about Fel-pro is, if you were to order the entire engine seal set, alot of the seals/o-rings and gaskets are made by the same company that FHI gets there stuff from. In some cases they even have the FHI logo on them. Whats funny is you can get one set of seals (Cam seals lets say) one could be of the FHI and the other could be another company. But they are all pretty much good. Yeah you do run across a bad one here and there but eh, what can ya do.

God, only one more day till my pipe comes!

"Oh, one more day, one more day. Another day older and closer to my pipe - one more day... Workin' anda sweatin' till the day is done - drivin' my Subaru out in the sun.... OH! One more day, one more day - another day older and closer to my pipe, One more day"

Yeah I need a life :-p

Tom,

If you're keeping the stock cat and catback then don't expect too much more noise. The rumble is more pronounced/defined but it's not a great deal louder until you swap the catback.

Mine went from "that's a neat little sound" with the stock catback to "OMG it's the apocalypse" when I installed the catback.

If you go with a catback, keep your stock cat in place. That'll avoid you throwing a CEL.

I got a P0420 when I first installed the header on my 2.5RS but it hasn't returned after I cleared the codes last week.

Here is my car on a Dyno Borla replicas and a Subaru Bosal 2.5GT catback.

As you see it's not that loud..

And yes my car is iffy getting into 3rd because the shifter knuckle is worn.. If you move it into gear like any other manual you will get this 95% of the time..

The key is to let it glide in :)

check out that bouncing at 6:30 :P

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Here's my 2.5 RS with borla replica header, stock cat pipe, and a 3" catback from a GD WRX (BBP brand).

The catback is virtually a straight pipe. There's a resonator near the cat flange and then the muffler at the back but they don't do a whole lot.

th_BorlaRepstockcatBBPCatback.jpg

Nice video, yea shes a bit bouncy Lol! "I like how you went with the functional projectors over nicer wheels" LMAO!

Well, my car is pretty loud as is without the muffler, so increasing the rumblem will probably sound good enough. :)

Nice video, yea shes a bit bouncy Lol! "I like how you went with the functional projectors over nicer wheels" LMAO!

Well, my car is pretty loud as is without the muffler, so increasing the rumblem will probably sound good enough. :)

the thing about the wheels is I'm looking for '02 wrx wheels which seems no one has them right now so I might have to go the expensive way of buying them for like $90 a wheel :-/

I already got a brand new 16" spare ready.