Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not sure if I'm too late on this... I never thought I'd have anything to add.

When I got my EJ22 for my swap a couple weeks ago, the salvage yard accidentally crushed the Y-pipe. Fortunately they found a replacement for me but the plan was to have a pipe made.

I took a template of the single-port exhaust gaskets and the cat connector gasket to my local machine shop to have flanges made. They were going to charge me $100 to make 3 flanges out of 3/8 steel and the local muffler shop said that if I provided flanges they would custom bend a header for me for $150 and weld the flanges to it. So for under $300 I could have had a custom header. Unfortunately, the salvage yard found a pipe for me just before they were going to cut me a check for the custom pipe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get this figured out?

Jacob

This differs depending on what seller the exhaust is bought through. It's a crapshoot in that regard. Mine fit on just fine. There's no interference and the header traces a nice clean line around the filter. There's about 1/8" of the filter that hangs inside the curve of the header and there's clearance on all sides.

Photo_052410_003.jpg

Jacob, Yep sure did. I went to the dealer and bought a genuine Oil filter (Honeywell) and now I have a nice bit'O clearance around the filter now :banana:

tricked919, Sorry to hear they were able to find you a good pipe since you lost out on a custom made pipe. But I will tell you, the UEL pipe is a good idea - it does increase power bar non, I feel it big time!

Dave, yea thats true. But at least I was able to fix the Fitment issue. I was sooo please when I put the new filter on.

-Tom

So will this header fit on 1st gen legacy's with the dual port exhaust?

Yep, as long as its Duel Port it will fit. If your engine isn't Duel Port - just get a giant drill bit and make it so:lol:

It is hard to find a UEL header for a singal port, :-\

I put mine on last night. I have an EJ22 in a Brat. I put on the driver's side first. The passenger side was about 1/2 inch off, but the header flexes enough to slide it on. I thought I was hitting the oil filter at first (generic filter from NAPA, BTW), but it was an optical illusion from where I was under the car. It bends around, and it also bends down under the filter a little. I have decent clearance on all dimensions.

It came with gaskets that I didn't use since I have dealer gaskets. Also included were about 8 nuts and 8 bolts. I used 2 of the bolts, and I'm not really clear on what the others are for. I also used 2 of the nuts (for the bolts), but they're the wrong thread pitch for the exhaust studs. Given the included hardware, I'm not sure what they think we're doing with these things.

Jacob

I have a duel port EJ22 in my GL10 wagon that has a 95 y pipe on it with 2 1/4 in pipe with a glass pack resonator mid pipe and a magnaflow muffler that sounds nice now but I think it is going to get one of the UEL headers. Boxer rumble, butt dyno increase and more MPG, I'm not seeing a downside.

I have a duel port EJ22 in my GL10 wagon that has a 95 y pipe on it with 2 1/4 in pipe with a glass pack resonator mid pipe and a magnaflow muffler that sounds nice now but I think it is going to get one of the UEL headers. Boxer rumble, butt dyno increase and more MPG, I'm not seeing a downside.

Do '95 y-pipes have the cat as part of the "y" or as a separate piece?

Jacob

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, I bought two short ones (Put both together) Whats funny is - I erased the P0420 code for the 2nd time and it hasn't came back, so maybe the system finally adjusted and now its happy. :grin:

We're doin' good here in WI! Glad USMB is back up! :clap:

I didn't use them though, I let it as is and hasn't come back..

Yeah you can make a whole ($10) :lol:

yeah the whole point is to have the sensor see less air flow so it wont throw the code.

I bet if I put these on ebay I can make a killing :D

Heres something funny. My engine light has been off for over 100 miles, then I took my car out to a spot and flogged it through some mud and puddles - right during that the light came on. I'm guessing it is the Cat flow code again "P0420" I haven't pulled the code yet, I will do it tomorrow. Why would it come back just now 100+ miles later and pretty many redline shifts later? Why would flogging it in some mud make it throw the code again?

yo Mike, I might take you up on your offer on those non-foulers if you still got them. I will be more then happy to pay you for them :)

Trying to drill through the ones I have are a PITA! I have commercial grade bits too.

Heres something funny. My engine light has been off for over 100 miles, then I took my car out to a spot and flogged it through some mud and puddles - right during that the light came on. I'm guessing it is the Cat flow code again "P0420" I haven't pulled the code yet, I will do it tomorrow. Why would it come back just now 100+ miles later and pretty many redline shifts later? Why would flogging it in some mud make it throw the code again?

yo Mike, I might take you up on your offer on those non-foulers if you still got them. I will be more then happy to pay you for them :)

Trying to drill through the ones I have are a PITA! I have commercial grade bits too.

When you get the code pulled let me know.. and you need some good drills to do something like this and plus you need to try and keep it cool.