Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T No start

I finally got around to throwing in a new accel super stock. Cranked it up ran for less then a minute then died. Now it wont crank and it has no spark. i put the old coil in, which still worked, and wouldnt start either. I have new wires, plugs, cap rotor. Im lost what will cause no spark. I checked the coil fuse that that was fine. Anything else i should check. Tomorrow im spending the whole day dedicating it to the rx. Im determined to get her running smooth.

Mike

Make sure the rotor turns when the engine is cranked.

(T belt may have broke)

Check for battery voltage on the positive terminal of the coil.

Make sure the rotor is tight on the dist. shaft

(small set screw may have come out)

Note this will only show "no spark" at a spark plug,

the coil wire will still show a spark.

What year/fuel system type is the RX?

When you say it doesn't crank I assume you mean the engine is not starting but the starter is turning the engine. No crank, usually means the starter is not working for some reason.

You may have blown a fuse or a fueable link in the ignition circuit so I would recommend you check for power getting to the coil first. Use a test light or meter to this.

If you have power then check the CAS in the distributor for a problem.

like I tried to tell you before. you may have had a weak or dying ignitor and your new accel coil just pushed it over the edge seems how they most likely draw a bit more amperage.

ok easy test. take a test light. and with key on is there power at the + side of the coil? if so good go to the neg side of the coil and have someone crank the engine. does the light not even come on?(bad coil) or does it light up steady?(bad ignitor) or does it flicker?( ignitor good something else wrong)

note do this with a fully charged battery and dont mistake the starter draw for ignitor flicker. there are beter ways to test this but this is the most simple/gheto/low budget whatever you want to call it.

No i havent tested it yet. im just preping myself incase i have to replace something. Im going to test it tomorrow i just wanted to familiarize myself with what im testing. How expensive are we talking? cuz its either that or new disty cuz i wont be finding anything at a junk yard. unless a non turbo ea82 disty might work.

I had a simalar problem, I thought it was the ignitor too, went to schuks or, autozone, ect, they wanted $300 dollars, or something crazy like that. It was way to much to just by one and hope it fixes the problem.

My problem was fixed when I found that one of the 4 wires comming out of the disty was broken, I think it was the yellow one in my case. But check them all and look inside the sheath, that was my mistake. The wire pulled apart inside the sheath when I pulled the motor out without disconnecting the coil.

Good luck

Nevermind I just found out you have an 89, you don't even have the same modual.

Good luck

the ignition amplifier module takes the signal from the ecu, and amps it enough to trigger the coil. that is the round nougat on the COIL BRACKET. you can get one at the junkyard for any fuel injected soob.

the sensor in the distributor is the CRANK ANGLE SENSOR, and it is optical, with a disc and 360 noches.the ignitor is most likely, having gone bad 20 min after a new coil

if for whatever reason the wires on the disty is bad, the wire itself will unplug and swap

if it were determined the sensor in the disty was bad, it would be more economical to replacethe whole dist with a known working unit

Since you now know that you are pulsing the coil you should be getting spark. If you are still not getting spark then I would check the main high voltage wire from the coil. Try placing a spare plug and wire into the coil and set the plug on a good ground point on the engine. You should see spark when you crank the engine.

Also check all your fuses. I remember helping someone with a similar problem and if I remember right fuse #5 and #12 had a function in getting spark but I can't remember for sure. All the tests we did to find the problem showed no trouble until it was discovered the fuse was bad.