Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 head torque

Just looked in my HTKYSA book. It gives the torque sequence of bolts including the rocker assembly bolts which i was a bit surprised about. But my main question is what is the final torque number for EA81 heads? My book was saying something in the 40s (47 ft pounds i think). Is that correct?

Well guess i should have specified that one. It is going to be High compression. I got .030 shaved off the heads. Its going to be stock pistons and cam (for now). Im just throwing this motor together so that i have the subaru back until i have more time to actually fully build the motor i really want.

I just finished mine (EA81). About .004" removed from both deck halves to clean and square the surface up, another .020" off of each head, NOS ea71 pistons, delta solid lifter torque cam grind. I used FP Permatorque HG's @ a final step of 51 lbs and it runs great, makes lots of power, and doesn't leak a drop. I run quite a bit of timing with an SPFI setup. Hardest part was nailing down an acceptable valve clearance for the delta cam. I would probably go Hydro, or all the way to EJ if I was doing it again.

• 2 years later...

As someone says, the correct way to do it is 22-43-47 final.

The sequence starts with the center nut behind the valve rocker. There is a sequence of tightening.

After firsts 1000 miles you have to retigthen all nuts to 47.

Note that 6 mm bolts only needs 8.

It is recommendable to put oil to all threads.

This are specification using Subaru OEM head gasket.