Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have an 03 baja, and my current tires are fine, but i want to get some off road tires. i have seen some 29's but i am sure those will rub. i would like to get a tire like a 28 or a 27.

I am looking for the tallest tire i can get on factory 16 inch rims, and on factory ride height.

the smallest i have seen is a 29, and i don't know any type of conversion for something like say a 215/70/R16 but basically the tallest tire i can go with a factory set up.

I've had all three of the tires discussed here. The Grabber AT2's, the Yoko Geolandars, and the BFG TA KO's.

I would always pick the BFG's over the others. The Grabbers were a bad experience, great traction, but not a tough tire at all. The Yoko's were really tough but not so good traction off road. The BFG's are tough and have great traction, but are spendy.

If you're mostly driving on the road and aren't terribly concerned about off road traction the Yoko's are a great choice. They're relatively inexpensive and have great road traction for an AT tire.

But remember, all tire manufactures have "Their Own" idea of what 28" is. So you could by a 225/70R16 from BFG or a 225/70R16 from Dunlop, one tire might be a little bigger then the other.

very nice, very nice. thanks for the tire calculator. according to that the 225/60 r16 is a 26.6 inch tire. i could look for a 225/70 r16 and that would give me a 28.4 inch tire, and the speedo would be 10% slow speedo says 60mph, actual would be 66mph. thanks alot

But remember, all tire manufactures have "Their Own" idea of what 28" is. So you could by a 225/70R16 from BFG or a 225/70R16 from Dunlop, one tire might be a little bigger then the other.

they also say on there websites that the actuals size in inches may vary by like .3 inches bigger or smaller either way than what they claim it to be.