Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jeep vs Subaru

nipper

I have never seen a STOCK subie do what a stock jeep wrangler can do.

I went out to a rutted mud hole in in my then unlifted, unmodified, 89 GLturbo (4EAT trans) with a friend in an 88 Cherokee (same engine, tires, and axle as the Wrangler of the day, coils in front instead of leafs)

I made it through cause the Wheels can drop when the belly hangs up.

The Jeep didn't cause his axle was grading the hump in the middle of the ruts.

Had to pull him out. Both cars had AT tires.

Moral of story........Independant suspension is better in ruts and mud.

Straight axles are great for crawling but not so much for rutted, muddy roads

I went out to a rutted mud hole in in my then unlifted, unmodified, 89 GLturbo (4EAT trans) with a friend in an 88 Cherokee (same engine, tires, and axle as the Wrangler of the day, coils in front instead of leafs)

I made it through cause the Wheels can drop when the belly hangs up.

The Jeep didn't cause his axle was grading the hump in the middle of the ruts.

Had to pull him out. Both cars had AT tires.

Moral of story........Independant suspension is better in ruts and mud.

Straight axles are great for crawling but not so much for rutted, muddy roads

That could have been driver issues more than the vehicle itself.

The stock tj I had had AT tires on it. I would see other wranglers with better tires get stuck following me. I just equated that to different driving styles

^Yup.

I proved that many o' times in my subie. I outwheeled very capable jeeps that just had scared/bad drivers. Off road drivng takes practice, picking lines is a learned thing.

I'm just saying that most jeep people have rigs that will do waaaayyy more than the driver can handle.

Subie people are nuts and drive off road like they have nothing to loose. ;)

When I had the Tj I went to the localish OR park about once a month. Very often there were guys there with tons better rigs than mine that would watch in amazement but not even try the stuff I was doing. I didn't get it.

Other than the fact that they were scared to bend, break, scratch something because they had a $20k+ Jeep and I had a $2k pos. :)

^Yup.

I proved that many o' times in my subie. I outwheeled very capable jeeps that just had scared/bad drivers. Off road drivng takes practice, picking lines is a learned thing.

I'm just saying that most jeep people have rigs that will do waaaayyy more than the driver can handle.

Subie people are nuts and drive off road like they have nothing to loose. ;)

When I had the Tj I went to the localish OR park about once a month. Very often there were guys there with tons better rigs than mine that would watch in amazement but not even try the stuff I was doing. I didn't get it.

Other than the fact that they were scared to bend, break, scratch something because they had a $20k+ Jeep and I had a $2k pos. :)

Yes thats absolutely true. one time i went over to a friends house who owns a moto cross track and asked if i could take my suby out there. he laughed at the prospect of it and said happy rolling but said sure. i finally convince him to get in the car (helmet boots and full moto x gear on) and took that thing around the track getting air off every jump. even most four wheelers except the blasters/ banshees etc couldnt do what i did in the suby.

Excactly, you gotta have 37's on those solid axles to get the same clearance at the diffs as a Subaru on 30's

I could build 2 Subaru wheelers for the price of those tires.

And go half as many places. And break 100 times as many axles.

As one of three people to drive a Subaru on the Rubicon Trail I can vouch for the ability of a Subaru. But do not fool yourself into thinking it is as capable as a built jeep. Not even a stock Rubicon. They do what they do very well. And the Hatch Patrol has pushed them past their limits more than most could dream. And yes, there is video documentation of it. I applaud those who stand by their rigs proudly. But, be realistic. There is no substitution for gears, lockers and flex in the end. That is why you see so many going to solid rear axle swaps as I did to my Brat. Or dual axle swaps as McBrat did to his. Be proud but be realistic.

And Nipper... pickstock nailed it by the 4th post.

Edited by Qman

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... Jeep vs. Subaru? Just sold my Jeep that I bought in 97 with 107k miles when I bought it , sold it with 129k. Still have my 97 Outback that I bought in '98 with 34K miles. Subaru now has over 230k miles on it, finally had to do that dreaded head gasket that everybody else seems to have so many problems with. Oh well, I guess I got a good one. Needless to say, the Subaru got a lot more use! I have had 3 Subarus since buying the Outback, Unfortunateley I had to sell the 97 Legacy GT (too many cars).

• 1 month later...
It's difficult to choose between Jeep and Subaru.As both are looking awesome.

I may be feeling my midlife crises coming on.

I have to do the math, but I think I am entitled to my one "Converitble" in leu of my "blond bimbo" and may be able to pull it off. I just need to see if I can afford to keep the Justy. If not it will still be Blu and me since Mom has enough problems getting into Blu, would never be able to get into a new Jeep or a new Outback.

• 2 weeks later...
if i was going to do a jeep wheeling project id do an oldschool fullsize 2 door those are frickn b-a. : D. it would mostly be for the cool factor though. cuz there big and heavy.

you mean like this

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/pamike/jeep/SANY0110.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/pamike/jeep/SANY0100.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/pamike/jeep/SANY0489.jpg

*drool*

I don't like the way the big (I dont even know what to call them anymore) 4wds are getting lush. It almost defeats the purpose. They really should offer stripped down model.

Street or desert? No way that would stay looking like that on our trails.

it is a street only jeep and doesn't get driven in the winter because of the salt. it actually see's monthly car shows in the summer. i bought it from the original owner. it's a 1974 and has only 56,000 miles on it. the best part is i only paid $400 for it. it was completly stock when i bought it. i never intended to use it for offroad but i came across the 6" lift for $150 and i couldn't pass it up. i currently own 3 of those jeeps, what can i say it's an addiction.

Edited by pamike

it is a street only jeep and doesn't get driven in the winter because of the salt. it actually see's monthly car shows in the summer. i bought it from the original owner. it's a 1974 and has only 56,000 miles on it. the best part is i only paid $400 for it. it was completly stock when i bought it. i never intended to use it for offroad but i came across the 6" lift for $150 and i couldn't pass it up. i currently own 3 of those jeeps, what can i say it's an addiction.

I see

• 1 month later...

I can relate to the Just Empty Every Pocket thing..Jeeps are great providing you can afford to fix/fill it..

i paid 2k for mine and with in a year,i had to put another $1600 into it for tires,power steering pump and box,rust repair,steering knuckle,more rust repair,etc.(and still needs alot more like shocks,tie rod ends,ball joints..)

i know the tires were a normal wear an tear item but still($500+)..just getting to not be able to afford something that only gets 14-15 mpg..

this is Mathilda btw..

IMG00194-20100917-1641.jpg

this is a friends Jeep..nicknamed the grand voyager...6" lift,36" tires

IMG00652-20110215-1146.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sigh

129_0210_02_z+indiana_badlands_offroad+chevy_blazer.jpg

No Heeps for me. :-p

Yes, they are more capable offroad in general, and the aftermarket support is

insane compared to Subaru.

But I've seen the amount of work they need for DD service.

No thank you.

I'm more willing to push my Subaru WAY beyond its limits and break stuff and

still be able to dd it than pay out the nose for a Jeep that won't break from

abuse (usually), but will eat my wallet alive.

Twitch