Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on swaping my EA82 to an EJ20/25 STi RWD

Vanishing Boy

-> Hi again! I was wondering if its possible to to do an RWD or AWD-powered STi GL Wagon?

- How difficult would it be?

- How costly would it be?

- EJ20 vs EJ25 into my EA82 wagon?

- Should I use RX or XT axles or use an EJ-compatible axles (ie. Impreza/Legacy/Forester)?

- How is it compared with stock drivetrain (AWD) compared to RWD?

^ Just like that drift Leone in Europe, I would like to turn my wagon into an anti-AE86/SR20 or an anti-Evo/WRX. Since my wagon is being hated all over the city, I want to return their hatred back to them. :lol:

Edited by Vanishing Boy

I bet this never happens

If you are serious. There are literally thousands of combinations that would fit the very limited criteria that you have laid out. You have a TON of research to do. You obviously have a very limited understanding of this project, which usually leads to wasted money and/or a wasted project.

Agreed. I started this website wanting to "rice" my Loyale. didnt go so well, view it here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100182&page=2

There are so many options for engines.

2.5Loyale has the EJ25 in his Loyale. I believe he said hes 3500 into his Loyale (including the $700 for the car) and he likes what was done.

Renob123 has the frankenmotor in his BRAT - EJ25 shortblock with EJ22 heads and although Ive never ridden in it, Ive seen it and heard it, and its mean.

EJ22 swapping is common as well.

As for RWD, hmm, havent seen anyone do that unless they muck up their front axles and use 4WD for the rear wheels.

I would have to say, if you plan to "drift" your Loyale and if you werent tight on money, Id say either learn quickly how to do the swap or pay someone in your area or close by (sorry, didnt look where you were located before posting this) to do the swap.

My plan for my EA82 is to keep it running until I have the money for the swap, but my hopes are:

FrankenMotor (will most likely have GD do the wiring if he can stand me that long :lol: ) with as much custom machining/parts as I can for max power.

AWD swap with 5 Speed and later possibly the 4.44 gearing from FXT

RX ground effects and hoodscoop and MR2 spoiler

Repaint (same color most likely)

KYB or Tein suspension

5 lug swap (and rear disc conversion)

WRX wheels

Lowered suspension (mentioned above)

Etc. I mean I could go on, because I - A) cant afford a WRX B) after wrecking a mitsubishi, my insurance rates for my EA82 are $240/month so I will not have a WRX until those are way down. C) Stock older cars that are maintained well dont catch attention as much as flashy new cars.

Just my .02, if you plan to go along with doing the swap, best of luck, and hope to see a build thread, but as mentioned, do PLENTY of research. In fact... I have another Swap forum for you to read...

let me see... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120746

More affordable maybe - but it won't have as much power potential.

Subaru's are not setup for RWD - the transmission can't handle it for long because the transfer gears will fail at the back.... they aren't setup for it.

Making it AWD can be done - would be a ton of fun of course - but unless you have about $10,000 to throw at it over the next couple years (WRX front clip's aren't real cheap for one) then it's not going to be feasible.

GD

• 3 weeks later...