Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire / strut interference

87.5ea82txt

So I'm doing some test fitting of a set of 215/75-15" General Grabbers on a set of 15" x 6" wheels with about an inch wider offset than stock. I was told they were from a Mitsubishi truck.

The front struts are xt kybs with 2" blocks on top. Do I need front struts from a different model subaru or should I get wheel spacers to make this fit? The rear wheels look like they should fit ok.

2011-05-28111809.jpg

2011-05-28111755.jpg

2011-05-28111840.jpg

2011-05-28111916.jpg

I ran wheels off a mitusbishi mighty-max/ dodge ram d50 with 235/75r15's on them, and had clearance to the struts on my loyale and the height-adjustable ones off the 86 3-door. Your wheels may be aftermarket ones for that truck, and not the normal dimensions.

You need at least a pinky-fingers worth of clearance between the sidewall of the tire and the spring seat or they will rub.

I can measure the dimensions on my set if you want. I'm also coming west on I70 soon, so I could potentially bring my set of wheels that are already drilled.

Edited by WoodsWagon

The guy I bought the car from had a '90 2wd parts car that he got the struts from, and I recently put the kyb's on when I installed the lift blocks. The spoiler I had lying around and I stuck it on there for ************s and grins. I get ************ on for it all the time, but its functional and in the near future I plan on pulling a small trailer for my DJ gear.

91loyale, that would be awesome! If you are by chance taking 64 then by all means, stop by. 64 practically runs through my back yard. If you, or anyone else could give me a measurement from the strut seat to the bottom of the strut that would be great. Or if anyone is looking into doing a lowering job and has a set that they would be willing to trade me, these xt kybs have less than 2k miles on them.

The guy I bought the car from had a '90 2wd parts car that he got the struts from,

2wd struts are shorter. Get some off a 4wd wagon, sedan, or coupe.

FWIW, those are 14" Nissan truck steels. They are only 5mm wider offset than stock subaru wheels. Should clear with 4wd struts.

i think the wheels the op got have more positive offset than they should.

i have 235-75-15's on my loyale and they dont rub a bit. those wheels just dont look like the right offset, but maybe its me.

edit: the op's wheel is also improperly balanced with two weights at different spots. lol sorry

So I should get some front 4wd kyb struts for any other model ea82 other than the XT and the length of the strut from the spring seat to the bottom of the strut will be long enough to clear the tires? An inch longer strut body would be more than plenty.

That wheel has a bit of rash on the very outside edge. Maybe even slightly bent. I watched the guy balance them with a computer. He also put a weight on the opposite inner side. I will look for another rim and use it as a full size spare.

I will get some 4wd struts for an RX and go back to my 1 1/4" lift blocks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, so I'm finaly going to order these struts and get these wheels mounted! So if I'm correct, I'm going to need front struts for a GL or RX? Can someone give me a part number that I should be looking for, or a link to a good place to get a set of kybs in that style?

Once I get the struts, im going to drill the hubs to the 6 lug mod. I want to get all new lugs and lugnuts in a size that fit the wheels the best. Does anyone know what year and model vehicle lugs I should be looking for, or a part number for those? Also, what size drill bit should my finished hole be?

Im going to do some digging in the mean time and see what I can come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
i think the wheels the op got have more positive offset than they should.

i have 235-75-15's on my loyale and they dont rub a bit. those wheels just dont look like the right offset, but maybe its me.

edit: the op's wheel is also improperly balanced with two weights at different spots. lol sorry

What size lift are you running on your loyale ? i cant decide between a 235 or like a 215/75 or a 27" bighorns lol i was thinking the 235s would rub alot but you say they dont ?

just a 2" lift.

honestly, they are a bit too big for a 2", and i couldnt imagine running anything bigger without lengthening the radius rods and trailing arms, or more lift. i plan on getting something a tad smaller when i come across some 14" steelies, because i want that extra meat for the tire, while also getting a smaller diameter.

if you want to see what the fitment looks like, check the thread "2011 lifted subarus" and possibly the tire size sticky. i should have pics of my wagon in there.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at front 4wd gl kyb struts and I keep coming up with different part #'s. Some are listed as being for 85-86 mfr#234046 and 234047. For 87 on up Im getting mfr#W0133-1616125 and 1616124. I'm not really sure which one I should be looking at. Was there a change in the strut design in 87?

I'm looking at front 4wd gl kyb struts and I keep coming up with different part #'s. Some are listed as being for 85-86 mfr#234046 and 234047. For 87 on up Im getting mfr#W0133-1616125 and 1616124. I'm not really sure which one I should be looking at. Was there a change in the strut design in 87?

85/86 4wd struts are an adjustable design.

in 87 they stopped making them adjustable. Most of the aftermarket ones are not adjustable, but if you are finding a # for an 85/86 only application that could be the adjustables.

Or it could just suppercede when you actually order to the newer ones. I haven't seen new replacement adjustables for about 10 years now.......every now and then n ebay.

just a 2" lift.

honestly, they are a bit too big for a 2", and i couldnt imagine running anything bigger without lengthening the radius rods and trailing arms, or more lift. i plan on getting something a tad smaller when i come across some 14" steelies, because i want that extra meat for the tire, while also getting a smaller diameter.

if you want to see what the fitment looks like, check the thread "2011 lifted subarus" and possibly the tire size sticky. i should have pics of my wagon in there.

I had 30's with a 2" lift and no extened radius arms, had to cut but it worked amazing

Jeff