Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timin' Belt Covers.

This Thread is a Continuation from This one ~► Here,

which have more Background information regarding the Timing Belts.

I Don't want to Open a Can of Worms asking if I Should let the plastic covers off or reinstall them. I have read for years, opinions of people that Preffer them on and other people that Preffer them off, each one with their own reasons.

I Did the Last Timing belt service on my BumbleBeast in Year 2009, when I Found This:

HPIM2661.jpg

Then I obtained The New timing Belts + new Covers at the Local Subaru Dealer:

TimingBeltsKit.jpg

However the new covers' set came incomplete and

I decided to let the Timing belts' covers off

... :D ...

So, the reason of this thread, are this two Questions regarding Coverless Belts:

In the case I have a Power Steerin' failure that spills out the fluid, or a Water pump failure that spills out the coolant, Will the Timing Belts Slip?

Also, if I Let my Subie unused for some months (I Plan to Travel to my Hometown to my Parents' home for Vacation) Could the Timing Belts be Damaged by Rodents or insects?

Kind Regards.

I Edited certain posts of this thread, to change their text colour, from Yellow (used when the Forum's Background was Charcoal) to Blue. Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

you opened it, here we go, another thread like all the rest!

we can list failure scenarios by the dozens, even ways timing belt covers themselves could cause failures - which i've seen.

power steering leaks typically drip and are rather simplistic. not a big deal.

insects and rodents if that was a true concern you'll have much bigger problems than belts - when they start chewing on electrical stuff, shorting stuff, and causing fires then you got real troubles. a 15 minute belt change is a drop in the bucket....but either is unlikely to happen.

seems you've already seen and read other threads about this, pick what's best for you.

• Like 1

I doubt rodents would get onto the belts as it is not somthing they would use for nesting, and without the covers, nothing to hide inside. I could imagine spider webs.

It ius possible to spill fluids on the belts when servicing the power steering, adding oil, coolant. But you can immediately clean it off is you do spill some.

At any chance you would suspect a compromise, you can easily inspect or replace a belt. Just keep a spare in the trunk, it takes 10 min to change.

The idea of a belt breaking is outweighed by how easy it is to change with no covers.

Plus coverless makes other service easier like the water pump, cam seal, oil pump.

Just don't eat say a peanut butter and jelly sandwich over the timing belts. The cam seals usually provide adequate oil for the belts without the steering leaking onto it. Sometimes small animals like to get up into the accessory drive belts.....I suppose it would be worse for it to get caught in the timing belt.

another thought...

my 86 Xt dL is a beater in a sense. so no covers.

the 88 XT GL still has the seat belt tool bag and a complete (nothing broken) interior, nice paint and some shiny wheels. in a sense of sustaining a stock look and function this one will retain the covers.

different strokes for different folks, attitudes, and cars.

:drunk:

The only story ever related on this forum that had a problem with running without covers stuffed his engine so full of snow the belts jumped. His sump guard wasn't installed....

You don't worry about snow in Central America very much, do you? And you do keep your sump guard in place, to fend off sticks and rocks and such?

Porcupines will eat anything rubber under the hood of a car. Hoses, belts, power steering hoses, electrical, etc. They would probably eat the covers, too. If they go after your car, timing belts will be the cheap, easy part to fix.

Do you have porcupines in the neighbourhood?

Timing belts are good for 55,000 miles or 90,000 km.

Bottom line, don't worry about the covers, and you probably have lots of life left in those 2 year old belts.

Oil, water and what have you is not going to make a difference unless your belts are old stretched and worn. Anyway the covers won't stop fluids from getting on the belts.

I took mine off when I pulled the engine and have no plans on putting them back on. (think I threw them away)

Plus you can paint the cam gears a bling color and be all Fast and Furious.

Edited by notliving

...Plus you can paint the cam gears a bling color and be all Fast and Furious.

Yes, it sounds Nice... imagine all the Spinning things there,

the Engine should look more... Complicated! ... :D ... I Like the Idea!

So Oil & Dirt will not be so very Harmful to the Timing Belts, but...

Could a Steam / Hot Water Wash, Damage the Belts?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I think you're over thinking this. I mean just think about engine temps. Timing belts are built to hold up in some pretty extreme conditions.

Steam cleaning or pressure washing your engine is pretty common.

Ever been to a car dealership and wondered how they got the engine so clean?

I don't regret leaving mine off. How often do you pressure wash your engine? I maybe wash mine 2-3 times a year. I'm actually surprised how clean the belts stay (without the covers). I just like being able to see and inspect things without having to deal with the whole cover deal.

-Keith

Could a Steam / Hot Water Wash, Damage the Belts?

as much as you're thinking about and questioning this it's probably a good idea to just keep them, it's not that big of a deal either way.

you probably don't have the rusted bolt/insert phenomenon that us snow driving rusted up subaru people deal with anyway.

...you probably don't have the rusted bolt/insert phenomenon that us snow driving rusted up subaru people deal with anyway.

No snow here for sure, but I tend to drive 60% on Road and 40% off-roading,

So my subie Runs on Gravel / Muddy \ Dusty Roads very frequently.

Kind Regards.

as much as you're thinking about and questioning this it's probably a good idea to just keep them, it's not that big of a deal either way.

you probably don't have the rusted bolt/insert phenomenon that us snow driving rusted up subaru people deal with anyway.

Go ahead and do without. I think you asked because you wanted to try it, and want to gain confidence in going around naked:)

Worst comes to worst, keep a spare belt, and 2 tools. You can always put them on the next time a cam seal needs changed; we all know how much they always leak!

I think you will appreciate being uncovered the next time you have to service the engine.

Go ahead and do without. I think you asked because you wanted to try it, and want to gain confidence in going around naked :) ...

Yes, You're Right... :) ... I Love Simplicity, and coverless timing belts are Simplier to Service, plus Easier to Check their state, and the ternsioners, etc... 

Now I feel more confident to steam wash the EA82 engine with Coverless timing belts  ... :D ...

Kind Regards.

... blue LED lights, and mount those to the timin' belt cam sprockets for even more bling...

Ha, Ha! ...

:lol: ... LoL!

I've seen Blue Led Lights on Engines, but only in Motorcycles

night2.jpg

How will Look my BumbleBeast's Weberized EA82 with Blue Leds

illuminating its Engine internals? ... somehow Like This?:

engine-internals-with-blue-led-reflections-398519.jpg

I Guess that Rice mod will add +2 Hp to my Wagon :burnout:

Kind Regards. :)

Yes... I always wondered why the Timing belts are covered while the outside (Fan, alt, A/C...) Belts are "Nude" also the Material seems to be similar.

I Guess that the Covers are for Protecting them, but also for add Styling to the Engine.

If the Outside Belts and Timing belts are made from the same / similar material and the outside ones can bear the Hot water / steam wash very well... I believe there will be no problem with that.

Kind Regards.