Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check this out if you wanna Go Wheeling are Stock and are in the PNW!!! Free 2" lift

one eye

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I was jumping on this deal

I thought you were going with a 4" lift?

The "free lift" deal is more or less a "free stuff" deal, with help, to anybody who's really serious about building a rig and spending sometime offroad. So it sounds like the EJ adapter is taken!!

Josh

Edited by El Presidente

but they also have motors that can make power lol either way mines staying auto if that disqualifies me for this then so be it

I found this thread that you may find interesting. Apparently the 4eat EJ transmission has been used offroad and if you want an auto it may be your best bet

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74789

We're not looking to push people away, but I think what counts you out isn't your automatic, but when you said your on the fence about the build and how you only want to get %90 of the places you want to. For this free lift, we're looking for somebody who's %100 in and wants to go %100 on the trails. We could probably help you out, but your going to have to do most the work and research yourself, its a involved build IIRC. If you do build an automatic up for offroad, don't keep it to yourself, I'd really like to see how it does. I'm not being sarcastic BTW. I've wheeled automatics(jeeps, not subarus) and manuals and they both do well when set up right.

That being said lets please keep this thread on-topic, if someone wants to start another offroad automatic thread to discuss this more, please do!

Thanks

Josh

I am going 4" but still hoping for the deal on the adapter plate:brow: anyway I will need a little help on the geometry for the 4" strut blocks. I found some 1/4" plate in the shop and have some 3.5" pipe for the spacers just need to know the angle to cut them at. also can I go 5" or 6" spacers with the 4" crossmember blocks? I have about 200 left in my budget for the lift and I think I have most of what I need along with access to a cnc punch and brake as well as a manual Iron worker punch and a large band saw. hmm this thing keeps getting bigger so off I go to continue working on it.

I am going 4" but still hoping for the deal on the adapter plate:brow: anyway I will need a little help on the geometry for the 4" strut blocks. I found some 1/4" plate in the shop and have some 3.5" pipe for the spacers just need to know the angle to cut them at. also can I go 5" or 6" spacers with the 4" crossmember blocks? I have about 200 left in my budget for the lift and I think I have most of what I need along with access to a cnc punch and brake as well as a manual Iron worker punch and a large band saw. hmm this thing keeps getting bigger so off I go to continue working on it.

Your the only one that has spoken up about the adapter, so I assume its yours! Your gonna want 4" pipe for the spacers and I have 2x4x1/4" blocks under my 6" lift..we can help you with geometry and block angles too. It will be easier to explain it to you when we meet Saturday

Josh

sounds good I plan to be there just look for the red miata with shelby stripes. I am a welder fitter so it shouldnt be too hard to explain. I assume you match the angle of the strut towers so the strut tops move straight down instead of down and out as they would with a chunk of pipe cut square on the ends. then of course there is the steering shaft and shift linkages, rear end etc.... but I will get all that info from you on saturday.

I am going 4" but still hoping for the deal on the adapter plate:brow: anyway I will need a little help on the geometry for the 4" strut blocks. I found some 1/4" plate in the shop and have some 3.5" pipe for the spacers just need to know the angle to cut them at. also can I go 5" or 6" spacers with the 4" crossmember blocks?.

so 4" lift or 6"?

Ill sell you just the strut plates if you want to build your own

you'd be lucky to get 50% of the places.......... I would think that big tires would kill an AT...............

Jeff

big tires on a truck with an auto kill it..... subarus trans would get destroyed....LOL

i had a 1988 f150 lifted like 7 or 8 inchs with 36s on it an that tranny was dead in like 6 months.... 150k miles when i got it and everything was rebuilt.

ha that truck was BADASS.... wish i lived closer and had a lift kit and 5 spd for my legacy :/ would be fun! i love wheelin!

-jarrid

I found this thread that you may find interesting. Apparently the 4eat EJ transmission has been used offroad and if you want an auto it may be your best bet

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74789

We're not looking to push people away, but I think what counts you out isn't your automatic, but when you said your on the fence about the build and how you only want to get %90 of the places you want to. For this free lift, we're looking for somebody who's %100 in and wants to go %100 on the trails. We could probably help you out, but your going to have to do most the work and research yourself, its a involved build IIRC. If you do build an automatic up for offroad, don't keep it to yourself, I'd really like to see how it does. I'm not being sarcastic BTW. I've wheeled automatics(jeeps, not subarus) and manuals and they both do well when set up right.

That being said lets please keep this thread on-topic, if someone wants to start another offroad automatic thread to discuss this more, please do!

Thanks

Josh

just read this.... sry for offtopic post :dead: lol

Hey guys, I've got a 1988 GL SW Wagon, everything stock. Runs Well, only 150,000 miles.

I was just looking into putting a 2" lift on her when I came across this post and would be into learning how to offroad with you guys.

1988 Subaru 001

Right on! Few questions first:

What type of tranny are you running?

You sound like you haven't wheeled very much so....when we go wheeling, we're not just driving down bumpy gravel roads, we're in the mud, rocks and stumps. We run on the same trails as the Jeeps do. Minor body scrapes and small dents are normal and major dents and other body damage might happen. You will probably occasionally break and axle, stub, driveline or other parts so you shouldn't be relying on your rig as a daily driver. We help each other out when things go wrong, so a "team" attitude is appreciated. Are you OK with all that?

We're looking for active members, do you have enough interest/time to wheel at least every 2-3 months? The more the better!:D

If your still on board, I'll talk to Jeff, maybe you could meet up with us this weekend or some other time that works.

Josh

It's a five speed w/ the Hi/Lo shifter.

I would be incredibly okay with all that, except this subie is my daily driver and ontop of that, I don't believe I'll have the time I thought i would to go offroading.

I'm still quite interested, but with everything else I have going on for the time being, this is one interest I'll have to put on the backburner.

Thanks regardless,

Kris

Yeah this would probably be best for a dedicated offroad rig. I do daily drive mine but that is because i have a second car if something major happens. And expect damage to your car, its hard to keep it from happening.

Before Walker Valley

168075_1745594490695_1563767620_31738414_3892461_n.jpg

After only 5 Walker Trips

269170_2176225616204_1563767620_32272378_7504332_n.jpg

I have broken

4 axles from abuse, none on the the trail yet.

No diff stubs, yet!

Both tail lights at least once.

Both front marker lights

Bowed out a fender

Both bumpers are different shapes now.

Ball joints and tie rod ends.

Driveline is now making noise.

Bent a strut.

If you can manage to fix this stuff then by all means come and join us, its loads of fun with a great group of guys.

Yeah this would probably be best for a dedicated offroad rig. I do daily drive mine but that is because i have a second car if something major happens. And expect damage to your car, its hard to keep it from happening.

Before Walker Valley

168075_1745594490695_1563767620_31738414_3892461_n.jpg

After only 5 Walker Trips

269170_2176225616204_1563767620_32272378_7504332_n.jpg

I have broken

4 axles from abuse, none on the the trail yet.

No diff stubs, yet!

Both tail lights at least once.

Both front marker lights

Bowed out a fender

Both bumpers are different shapes now.

Ball joints and tie rod ends.

Driveline is now making noise.

Bent a strut.

If you can manage to fix this stuff then by all means come and join us, its loads of fun with a great group of guys.

I'd be ok getting my car a bit dented up if it grew a roof rack by ofroading.... :D

i just bought my first subaru and id like to learn a lot more about doing stuff to it and im often in the arlington area and actually gonna go up to walker pretty soon i believe on the 29th

Well you found the right forum to learn about these rigs! #1 rule about wheeling is to not go alone, you got somebody to go with up to walker valley right?

Josh

:-\ I have the wonderful combination of a shiite ton of time off from work (while still getting paid lol) but too great of a distance away and no $$$ to travel that far. Why doesn't this happen here in Colorado? For that matter, where are all the old Subaru-heads IN Colorado? For so many of them on the road (and in the p'n'p) here, I'd have figured I'd run into more people from the boards in my neck of the woods. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in my town who bought an ea82 wagon for more than a-to-b transport....

Ive got an 88 wagon and my buddy just bought an 87, both are stock.

Ive been reading all over this forum since ive joined and im really interested in a lift and tires.

never had a rig before but i have done some wheeling and do have a little knowledge on cars .

it is my DD at the moment as i bought it to drive during the winter and rain season, and to go to the mountains but i have another vehicle if anything were to go wrong ..

dont go to school anymore or work at the moment so i pretty much have all the time in the world lol

heres a pic of mine:

photo11.jpg

and my buddies:

photo12.jpg

I'd love to go for the lift and join, but I don't want to deal with the constant repairs I keep hearing about with many of the parts wearing out faster with the lift. Is there any way around that?

Driving technique helps, but when you take parts that are 20+ years old and use them to there extreme things give out faster then normal , keep the tires small and go gentle and things last longer,

Ive got an 88 wagon and my buddy just bought an 87, both are stock.

Ive been reading all over this forum since ive joined and im really interested in a lift and tires.

never had a rig before but i have done some wheeling and do have a little knowledge on cars .

it is my DD at the moment as i bought it to drive during the winter and rain season, and to go to the mountains but i have another vehicle if anything were to go wrong ..

dont go to school anymore or work at the moment so i pretty much have all the time in the world lol

Usual questions:

Is your car a dual range?

Does it run well?

Do you mind if it gets banged up?

Are you up for wheeling with us at least semi-regularly? This means usually driving to Mount Vernon..

You say you have a little knowledge on cars....are up for learning more?

We're not up for babysitting or holding hands, but we help each other out when things break and rigs get stuck. We'd certainly help you in times of need, but are you up for pulling your own weight, turning your own wrench, and helping others if you can?

-Josh

I'd love to go for the lift and join, but I don't want to deal with the constant repairs I keep hearing about with many of the parts wearing out faster with the lift. Is there any way around that?

No, but its not as bad as you may think, changing an axle in a subaru is WAY easier than changing an axle in a Jeep..I know. Offroading any vehicle means replacing parts more often, but subarus have a big advantage: parts are cheap and they are really easy to work on. If you don't like working on your rig, no matter what it is, offroading might not be for you.

-Josh