Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check this out if you wanna Go Wheeling are Stock and are in the PNW!!! Free 2" lift

one eye

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as soon as i get my license back i wouldnt mind driving to mount vernon every so often

Your welcome to come wheeling with us when your good to go! Your gonna need a lift and tires to keep up though....Have you decided on what size lift and tire size your going with?

-Josh

So how often do you need to replace the axles and other parts that most commonly degrade? And just how time-consuming is it?

Axle changing can depend on A LOT of variables, so it depends. How you drive, brand and age of the axles you have, engine/suspension upgrades and modifications, condition of other parts(motor mounts, bearings etc.), and tire size..etc.. are all factors that can help an axle live....or die. Other part failures have the same variables and same reasons...it just depends.

I think Jeff knows somebody that can change an axle in 10 minutes, which is pretty impressive. Once you've done it a couple times, it gets easier and takes..I'd say under 20-30mins. They're easy to work on!

No, but its not as bad as you may think, changing an axle in a subaru is WAY easier than changing an axle in a Jeep(as long as it has not been overtorqued)..I know. Offroading any vehicle means replacing parts more often, but subarus have a big advantage: parts are cheap and they are really easy to work on. If you don't like working on your rig, no matter what it is, offroading(or driving an older subaru) might not be for you.

-Josh

There. fixed it for you:-p

There. fixed it for you:-p

Umm...my post didn't need fixing..

Sorry, but Subarus are easier and it has nothing to do with anything being over torqued. On Jeep's you have to open up the diff if you have c-clips, you have to mess with gear oil disposal/refill, you need an allen driver for the calipers, If you have a Dana 35 in the rear, whats left of the axle will try to come out of the axle housing along with your wheel and tire.....Have you even tried removing a virgin hub from a Dana 30?!?.

-Josh

Umm...my post didn't need fixing..

Sorry, but Subarus are easier and it has nothing to do with anything being over torqued. On Jeep's you have to open up the diff if you have c-clips, you have to mess with gear oil disposal/refill, you need an allen driver for the calipers, If you have a Dana 35 in the rear, whats left of the axle will try to come out of the axle housing along with your wheel and tire.....Have you even tried removing a virgin hub from a Dana 30?!?.

-Josh

He speaks the truth I've work on everything from a Civic to a Peterbilt but started with Subaru's, and looking back all the things I thought were difficult on my Subaru now seem about as hard as changing oil compared to doing that same job on another vehicle, hell even changing the oil on a Subaru is easier than most cars.

Usual questions:

Is your car a dual range?

Does it run well?

Do you mind if it gets banged up?

Are you up for wheeling with us at least semi-regularly? This means usually driving to Mount Vernon..

You say you have a little knowledge on cars....are up for learning more?

We're not up for babysitting or holding hands, but we help each other out when things break and rigs get stuck. We'd certainly help you in times of need, but are you up for pulling your own weight, turning your own wrench, and helping others if you can?

-Josh

Yes, both are D/R . both run pretty well. mine drips some oil, but they all do ... and i also need a lower BJ an alignment but other than that, both are DD-able

i dont mind it getting banged up a bit, rear passenger door has dents on the lower part and bumpers not aligned and it has scratches ...

Definitely up for learning more about cars, ive loved cars ever since i was a kid and my dad was a mechanic but he isnt around anymore so i pretty much taught myself how to drive a stick and learn the basics of maintaining a motor when i got my Courier last year . And ever since i got my dirtbikes and my truck ive been called a "gearhead" by my friends cause everytime they come over im always working on something on my cars or bikes . ( and not because they're POS's, i just like to take things apart and figure out how they work and whats under there, where everythings at, etc. LOL )

The ONLY problem that i really have is the 2 hour drive there and then 2 hours back. Mainly just worried about the ride back because IF i were to break an axle or a stub, or a Ball joint or a tie rod or something serious along those lines, I gotta take I-5 all the way home lol ...

Edited by Skylar

Yes, both are D/R . both run pretty well. mine drips some oil, but they all do ... and i also need a lower BJ an alignment but other than that, both are DD-able

i dont mind it getting banged up a bit, rear passenger door has dents on the lower part and bumpers not aligned and it has scratches ...

Definitely up for learning more about cars, ive loved cars ever since i was a kid and my dad was a mechanic but he isnt around anymore so i pretty much taught myself how to drive a stick and learn the basics of maintaining a motor when i got my Courier last year . And ever since i got my dirtbikes and my truck ive been called a "gearhead" by my friends cause everytime they come over im always working on something on my cars or bikes . ( and not because they're POS's, i just like to take things apart and figure out how they work and whats under there, where everythings at, etc. LOL )

The ONLY problem that i really have is the 2 hour drive there and then 2 hours back. Mainly just worried about the ride back because IF i were to break an axle or a stub, or a Ball joint or a tie rod or something serious along those lines, I gotta take I-5 all the way home lol ...

Right on, Sounds perfect!

As far as the drive, its something to consider, but don't sweat it too much, stubs, tie rods, ball joints and axles can be changed on the trail if need be and we have extra parts in case somebody breaks something. Like I said, we look out for each other! If you start wheeling with us you willn't be the only one traveling a good distance...some guys live in seattle, tacoma, and on the last run Bill came over from Toppenish, which is 3-4 hours away and on the other side of the mountains. On some runs we'd be making the long drive closer to you, like at Evans Creek or Elbe hills. If your still concerned, a $80 a year AAA membership will give you 3 free tows a year.

Still on-board?

-Josh

I have broken breaker bars(2 in a day),split sockets, had to use 6 ft extensions, and had to give up(which I am not accustomed to)All obviously when I had no access to air tools.

They are easy to work on as long as they have been maintained-ish.I have worked on a lot of other vehicles as well.

The difficulty I speak of is an initial front or rear axle change, a frozen on rear diff stub, the infamous drivers side rear most bottom bellhousing bolt.

All of the situations I speak of are very challenging for people that start out weith little to no tools, and or no know how.....************ , even with know how a stuck axle nut is a stuck axle nut.

Point being is that are difficult situations that come up with these cars all the time.

Don't mislead a guy that is soon to be in over his head anyway.What is easy for you, may not be easy to someone else , simply due to resources.

Don't take it out of context , right?

I have only had like 44 of these things.....:-p

cheers

I have broken breaker bars(2 in a day),split sockets, had to use 6 ft extensions, and had to give up(which I am not accustomed to)All obviously when I had no access to air tools.

They are easy to work on as long as they have been maintained-ish.I have worked on a lot of other vehicles as well.

The difficulty I speak of is an initial front or rear axle change, a frozen on rear diff stub, the infamous drivers side rear most bottom bellhousing bolt.

All of the situations I speak of are very challenging for people that start out weith little to no tools, and or no know how.....************ , even with know how a stuck axle nut is a stuck axle nut.

Point being is that are difficult situations that come up with these cars all the time.

Don't mislead a guy that is soon to be in over his head anyway.What is easy for you, may not be easy to someone else , simply due to resources.

Don't take it out of context , right?

I have only had like 44 of these things.....:-p

cheers

I'm not misleading anybody....Subarus are cheaper, easier and less time consuming to work on..its true. I don't doubt your experience with Subarus, but your statements of disagreement are statements to your inexperience with bigger rigs.

If you read the entire thread, this is an open invitation to someone with little to no experience with little to no tools, but with a desire to go wheeling and learn. If you want to start a different thread discussing which is harder to work on..a car or a full size solid axle truck, be my guest, but until then, lets keep this discussion on-topic.

-Josh

Right on, Sounds perfect!

As far as the drive, its something to consider, but don't sweat it too much, stubs, tie rods, ball joints and axles can be changed on the trail if need be and we have extra parts in case somebody breaks something. Like I said, we look out for each other! If you start wheeling with us you willn't be the only one traveling a good distance...some guys live in seattle, tacoma, and on the last run Bill came over from Toppenish, which is 3-4 hours away and on the other side of the mountains. On some runs we'd be making the long drive closer to you, like at Evans Creek or Elbe hills. If your still concerned, a $80 a year AAA membership will give you 3 free tows a year.

Still on-board?

-Josh

yeah im not sweating it too much, im used to driving alot . i put like 17,000 miles on my courier last year lol

Ive considered looking into the AAA also. As ive had to rent a dolley and tow the subaru home once already ...

How often do you guys try an go wheeling ?

yeah im not sweating it too much, im used to driving alot . i put like 17,000 miles on my courier last year lol

Ive considered looking into the AAA also. As ive had to rent a dolley and tow the subaru home once already ...

How often do you guys try an go wheeling ?

We usually go the first saturday every month. We haven't gone out this month yet, but I heard of a trip possibly around the end of January, but nothing has been planned yet.

I talked with Jeff and we're in agreement your a good candidate for one of the free 2" lifts. If you want to head north sometime and meet some of the guys, we can set something up. It would be a good time to ask any detailed questions and make sure your still %100 in. If your still on-board, we can get you lifted before you go home and we'll see you at the next trip!

-Josh

We usually go the first saturday every month. We haven't gone out this month yet, but I heard of a trip possibly around the end of January, but nothing has been planned yet.

I talked with Jeff and we're in agreement your a good candidate for one of the free 2" lifts. If you want to head north sometime and meet some of the guys, we can set something up. It would be a good time to ask any detailed questions and make sure your still %100 in. If your still on-board, we can get you lifted before you go home and we'll see you at the next trip!

-Josh

That sounds good .

And Sweet ! Thanks man

im actually thinking about heading up to the arlington pick an pull today but

im not to sure, pretty nasty out .

And are you guys willing to let my buddy join as well ?

That sounds good .

And Sweet ! Thanks man

im actually thinking about heading up to the arlington pick an pull today but

im not to sure, pretty nasty out .

And are you guys willing to let my buddy join as well ?

I don't see why not, anybody is welcome to join and the free lift offer is available too, as long as they read this thread and understand whats invovled by taking it. I think we have 2- 2" lifts still, so we could get you and your buddy lifted.

Does your buddy have a profile on Ultimatesubaru.org? Have him read the entire thread, answer the same usual questions, then post a little about himself, like you did.

-Josh

right on . and yeah i had him make a profile earlier today . and hes been kinda looking over my shoulder and reading through posts with me .

ill have him get online and maybe you guys can start talking as well .

and i had another thing in mind, how do the 2" lifted rig hold up on the trails ?

do run the same trails as the bigger ones such as ones eyes or 88suby4x4's ?

Id like to go a little bigger than 2" for more clearance but i dont want to sound greedy lol id be willing to buy steel and wire for the welder as mentioned before if you guys would be willing to teach/ help me cut some blocks .. we can talk about that another time though .

hey guys my names Roger, i just joined the forum. i have a 87 gl wagon with 180xxx, 5 speed, carb. D/R looking to start getting into the wheelin scene with my subie, ive had a cherokee and a lifted f 150 an have done some light wheelin in the past. I have some expierence with working on cars, and a little about subaru's as my buddy has an 88 ..

Here's a couple pics:

rogerssoob.jpg

87gl.jpg

photo12.jpg

right on . and yeah i had him make a profile earlier today . and hes been kinda looking over my shoulder and reading through posts with me .

ill have him get online and maybe you guys can start talking as well .

and i had another thing in mind, how do the 2" lifted rig hold up on the trails ?

do run the same trails as the bigger ones such as ones eyes or 88suby4x4's ?

Id like to go a little bigger than 2" for more clearance but i dont want to sound greedy lol id be willing to buy steel and wire for the welder as mentioned before if you guys would be willing to teach/ help me cut some blocks .. we can talk about that another time though .

Yes, with a 2" lift and 235's your gonna bump into rocks and stumps a little more, but some of the more active guys have this setup and they have no problem keeping up with one eye or the rest of the group. To fit 235's, your gonna have to cut your fenders, but I think you might be OK with 27's up there on a 2" lift. I think Vegablade runs this setup. We're not going to put you right into the grinder on your first trip, the whole idea is to introduce you to wheeling Subaru's, and give an opportunity to learn a thing or two...not destroy your rig. The whole idea is to have some fun!

-Josh

hey guys my names Roger, i just joined the forum. i have a 87 gl wagon with 180xxx, 5 speed, carb. D/R looking to start getting into the wheelin scene with my subie, ive had a cherokee and a lifted f 150 an have done some light wheelin in the past. I have some expierence with working on cars, and a little about subaru's as my buddy has an 88 ..

Hi Roger, you must be Skylars buddy, Welcome the the USMB!

Do you have enough time to go wheeling at least once every other month, we're looking for guys who are going to be active, so the more runs you can make it on the better!

Is this your DD?

-Josh

Yes, with a 2" lift and 235's your gonna bump into rocks and stumps a little more, but some of the more active guys have this setup and they have no problem keeping up with one eye or the rest of the group. To fit 235's, your gonna have to cut your fenders, but I think you might be OK with 27's up there on a 2" lift. I think Vegablade runs this setup. We're not going to put you right into the grinder on your first trip, the whole idea is to introduce you to wheeling Subaru's, and give an opportunity to learn a thing or two...not destroy your rig. The whole idea is to have some fun!

-Josh

Right on, and yeah i was thinking about doing what seems to be common on here and just cut right under the front trim piece on the fenders lol

Ok cool, sounds reasonable . Im definitely up for having some fun !

Dont know if ill have money for tires right away, but i do have 195/75/14's on it right now .

Which brings me to another thought, how do the ea82's handle bigger tires ? ive noticed its a little slower getting up to speeds with the tires i have on now, compared to the 175/70/13s . Not so worried about speed just the wear on the clutch/trans with the weight of the bigger tires ..

Do a 53 Willys wagon, Dodge diesel, 1983 Chevy 3/4 ton, umm ,I could go on.

My Dodge is easy to work on.Everything is right out there where you need it to be.

My Willys, the same thing.I have broken more tools working on Subarus then anything else.Some cheap, some not. end of story.

Which brings me to another thought, how do the ea82's handle bigger tires ? ive noticed its a little slower getting up to speeds with the tires i have on now, compared to the 175/70/13s . Not so worried about speed just the wear on the clutch/trans with the weight of the bigger tires ..

Haha they dont like the bigger tires much. My 27's are fine for the highway, i can easily maintain 60 as long as the hills arent to big. Getting up to that speed takes a little bit and the most i have ever got is like 75 on the freeway. Doesnt want to go much faster then that. I also run a Weber so that helps a little.

It definitely doesnt make it undriveable. It just take a little while to get used to it.

Haha they dont like the bigger tires much. My 27's are fine for the highway, i can easily maintain 60 as long as the hills arent to big. Getting up to that speed takes a little bit and the most i have ever got is like 75 on the freeway. Doesnt want to go much faster then that. I also run a Weber so that helps a little.

It definitely doesnt make it undriveable. It just take a little while to get used to it.

Lol yeah that's what I thought. I hope it doesn't tax my engine and trans too much . I rarely ever go over 70 so I'm thinking I should be good .

That's another thing I was just thinking about, carbed motors are typically better for trails . Are any of you guys in NWWO, FI ?

Right on, and yeah i was thinking about doing what seems to be common on here and just cut right under the front trim piece on the fenders lol

Ok cool, sounds reasonable . Im definitely up for having some fun !

Dont know if ill have money for tires right away, but i do have 195/75/14's on it right now .

I think Jeff may have a set of wheels and tires he can lend you to get started, I'll ask when I see him on Friday. I have a set of 235 Mud Tracs that are worn, but still have life left in them. I offered them to another NWWO member, but he hasn't been asking about them, so I'll ask him if he still wants them, but if he doesn't, you can use them or buy them for cheap. I also have a set of 15" chev 6 lug wheels for them to go on.

I run 30x9.50R15's(slightly bigger than 235's) on my rig and it doesn't like the freeway, 60-65 is about my top speed. I run a Holley 5200, which is a Weber clone. Sorry, but your 195/75R14's willn't do you much good offroad, but 27's are a good compromise for on-off road. 235's will make life easier on the trail, but road performace will go down.

Your clutch will wear a little faster, but its to be expected for offroading with oversized tires. They're not hard to change in these rigs. We did Jeffs tonight in an hour or two. The D/R trannys are pretty tough and it willn't really care one way or the other.

-Josh

I think Jeff may have a set of wheels and tires he can lend you to get started, I'll ask when I see him on Friday. I have a set of 235 Mud Tracs that are worn, but still have life left in them. I offered them to another NWWO member, but he hasn't been asking about them, so I'll ask him if he still wants them, but if he doesn't, you can use them or buy them for cheap. I also have a set of 15" chev 6 lug wheels for them to go on.

I run 30x9.50R15's(slightly bigger than 235's) on my rig and it doesn't like the freeway, 60-65 is about my top speed. I run a Holley 5200, which is a Weber clone. Sorry, but your 195/75R14's willn't do you much good offroad, but 27's are a good compromise for on-off road. 235's will make life easier on the trail, but road performace will go down.

Your clutch will wear a little faster, but its to be expected for offroading with oversized tires. They're not hard to change in these rigs. We did Jeffs tonight in an hour or two. The D/R trannys are pretty tough and it willn't really care one way or the other.

-Josh

Ok right on .

yeah i was gonna use the 195s for the road and get some bigger M/Ts for the trails and just swap out tires before i go wheeling, thats my plan at least lol im really diggin the buckshots or the bighorns cant decide yet .

so im not running big tires all the time and hopefully it'll save a little wear on the clucth/etc